3Disciplines
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 41m 55s
Overall Rank = 54/132
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/10
Pre-race routine:

The race started at 8am and I had approx 90 min drive, so I was planning to get up at 4am, leave at 4.30am so that I would be there at 6am. The 2 hour window proved perfect 2 weeks ago at the Pokagon...

I actually got up a little earlier, because I could not sleep anymore. I had a small bowl of cereal, and on the way I had 1 Red Bull, a little bit of Gatorade, 1 ClifBar and 1 banana. Cut off for nutrition was approx 5am.

I showed up at 5.45am and looked around. The transition area was on a parking lot which was great, no grass to mess around with.
Packet pickup was good, the only problem at the time was that the body marking volunteers showed up very late, must have been after 7am, so there were long lines, but they handled it quickly so it was no big issue.

he body markings turned out a little confusing later, the age was on one calf, the event on the other. For the event though, they used "S", "O" and many "T"s, for the Ts it was never quite clear if they were actually sprints or Olys.

Transition area was closed down at 7.45am, I had a gel then plus some Gatorade. Then everybody went down to the beach for the swim start.

I had entered the race in the Clydesdale division, which I won
There were 8 Clydesdales, my swim was #2, T1 was #3, the bike #2, T2 was #2, the run #4

Event warmup:

Not much of a warmup, just waiting for the fun to start!
Swim
  • 29m 17s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water temperature was perfect, expecially in comparison to the Pokagon it felt like swimming in the Caribean!

Most of the time you could not see a thing, just funny effects from the early sun in the water, which was awesome.

Had to adjust goggles about 2 min into the swim, was fine afterwards.
Once or twice my orientation could have been better, especially the first time around the buoys, I essentially bumped into the buoy!
I had to pull down my suit once

Didn't like the running around the cone at all, after going through the gate, I wasn't sure how long to keep swimming or whether getting out of the water would be faster. Worse was that we looked against the low sun and I had to essentially by go sound!
What would you do differently?:

Make sure the googles are right
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

Was again pretty slow, #9 out of 10 in AG...

By the time I got to the bike I had the wet suit half off.
Not sure what took so long, probably drying my feet? Also, the bike got briefly stuck at the rack with the right pedal... No gel this time

Get more space!
Bike
  • 1h 12m 45s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.49 mile/hr
Comments:

As I was so fast out of the water, the start of the bike was pretty discouraging, I was permanently being passed for the first 5 miles or so!

My quads were burning the first miles! Also, my feet were numb at times, tried to stretch and move them within the shoes to get the blood flowing.

I stayed maybe 2/3 in aero position, had to stretch my back from time to time

On the second loop, we started passing the slow Sprint starters, which felt much better;-)
From there on, it was actually very confusing to find out, who is doing which event!

I drank my bottle of Gatorade

Get a better bike...
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Was slow again, #8 out of 10 in AG....

Had just a little bit of Gatorade before leaving

No idea how to get faster
Run
  • 55m 39s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Started to go out on approx 8:30 pace
Didn't feel strong but could not tell what exactly was wrong

Loose weight!
Post race
Warm down:

They had great water towels in the finish area
Walking around and checking out food and results...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight!

Event comments:

Definitely liked the race and will return.
The distances must have been different than posted, but the tougher issue for me was the hilly run!

Last updated: 2008-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:17 | 1500 meters | 01m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 20/132
Performance: Good
THe time includes running up the hill to the transition area. Not sure how much that was but I think that the swim itself must have been more than 1500m, otherwise the time would be disappointing
Suit: Longsleeve Zoot
Course: Started from beach swim buoy, went to the right, out 250m, then parallel to the beach back straight going beyond the starting point, turning around and back. Coming in we had to pass through a "gate" of 2 buoys. Go to the beach, around a cone in shallow water and back on the same course. The communication about the swim course was pretty confusing, especially concerning when we had to go through the "gate"...
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:12:45 | 24.85 miles | 20.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 56/132
Performance: Average
Not sure if this was really 24.8 miles, my GPS showed only 24.4. I hit the button a little late, but not half a mile... AHR was 162, MHR was 180
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loops clockwise around the park. All crossroads were blocked, controlled but there were some cars on the road;-( Course was slightly rolling, no larger hill
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:55:39 | 06.5 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/10
Overall: 86/132
Performance: Below average
2 loop affair AHR was 169, MHR was 181
Course: Was about 50% pavement and 50% trails Turned out to be nearly as hilly as the Pokagon, that sucked! On the trail sections, there were several areas with roots sticking out, but they were nicely marked. At some points it was pretty confusing which way to go. I even saw one participant going in the wrong direction and only being called back after 50 yards or so. I think they should have had more volunteers on the run course Some of the water stations were positions pretty badly
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No