General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rodney T. Miller Lakeside Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-07 5:00 PM

Subject: Rodney T. Miller Lakeside Triathlon

It's in Decatur! You should do it if you're not, this is only its second year, and it was created to commemorate the live of a police officer who died. It's July 6th.

Swim 3/4 mi

bike 19 mi

run 4 mi

So yeah, check it out. And if you are doing it, let me know, because I am too. It'll be my first one and I'm pretty nervous. =)

2008-06-09 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1451657

User image

Illinois
Subject: RE: Rodney T. Miller Lakeside Triathlon
My husband is going to be racing.  It was his first triathlon ever last year.  We were friends of Rodney's, so that is why my husband signed up for it.  I enjoyed watching him enough that I am going to do a triathlon this year, but I'm starting with one just a little shorter than the Lakeside Triathlon.  I did volunteer to help with the race so I will be there!
2008-06-09 2:36 PM
in reply to: #1453593

Yeah, my mom is friends with rodney's wife, so we both volunteered at it last year, and I decided i could do it this year. But for being a sprint triathlon, it's got some pretty long distances. I'm nervous about it to say the least... Smile

2008-06-20 10:26 AM

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
Hello from Oklahoma!

There's just something about racing for a cause, wouldn't you agree? While I surely didn't know Rodney or any of his family, I do know many police officers and highway patrol (state troopers) and I often find myself in awe of their sacrifices. I think it's awesome that people took the initiative to organize this race in his name.

Believe it or not, people are coming from miles around to participate in this race... and that's just in my little group. You see, my wife's family hails from Decatur (grandparents still live there) and we decided to all meet there for the weekend and this great race. Individuals from Dayton, Cincinnatti, Naperville, and Oklahoma City made a promise last year to train for and compete in this race. For many of them, this is their first triathlon! If all goes well, you'll see us in matching t-shirts after the race.

On to the race... are their any concerns with the water level in Lake Decatur? Also, how is the lake temp holding up? Finding a current lake temp on the web is just about impossible, so any input on that from the locals would be highly appreciated. My fingers are crossed for 77.9 degrees F. Also, has anyone been able to ride the bike course? What's the story behind the "hairpin turn" from the website?

I'm looking forward to racing with all of you. We'll be the group cheering on just about everybody.

-AJ

2008-06-20 11:11 AM
in reply to: #1478669

aj_breitwieser - 2008-06-20 10:26 AM Hello from Oklahoma! There's just something about racing for a cause, wouldn't you agree? While I surely didn't know Rodney or any of his family, I do know many police officers and highway patrol (state troopers) and I often find myself in awe of their sacrifices. I think it's awesome that people took the initiative to organize this race in his name. Believe it or not, people are coming from miles around to participate in this race... and that's just in my little group. You see, my wife's family hails from Decatur (grandparents still live there) and we decided to all meet there for the weekend and this great race. Individuals from Dayton, Cincinnatti, Naperville, and Oklahoma City made a promise last year to train for and compete in this race. For many of them, this is their first triathlon! If all goes well, you'll see us in matching t-shirts after the race. On to the race... are their any concerns with the water level in Lake Decatur? Also, how is the lake temp holding up? Finding a current lake temp on the web is just about impossible, so any input on that from the locals would be highly appreciated. My fingers are crossed for 77.9 degrees F. Also, has anyone been able to ride the bike course? What's the story behind the "hairpin turn" from the website? I'm looking forward to racing with all of you. We'll be the group cheering on just about everybody. -AJ

That is awesome that so many people are coming for this triathlon.

Usually the water is really nice and warm, but this year we had a crazy cold spring, and with all the rain we've had, it's a lot deeper than usual.  I don't know the temp right now, but I have friends on lake patrol and will get back to you on that soon. The lake had been closed up until like last week because of water levels, but it's back open now, and huge amounts of rain aren't in the forcast, so it should be just fine.

I havn't biked the course yet, but plan to next week, but I'm familiar with it.  It's not incredibly hilly, and it ends up taking you out into the country and then back into town. As for the hairpin turn, what I believe it maybe refering to is a place where the road turns and theres also like a concret median in the road, and they had problems last year with people hitting the median and crashing.  One man I saw who was def. a pro at tris had hit it and crashed, and he had the worst road rash from head to toe on one side of his body. He continued racing and finished.. but it looked so painful.  This year I know they're going to have that area marked better and I think have a volunteer standing out in front of the median so bikers know its there and don't hit it. If that's not the area they're talking about and I figure out what it really is before then, I'll let you know.

2008-06-20 3:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
trinoob18 - 2008-06-07 5:00 PM

It's in Decatur! You should do it if you're not, this is only its second year, and it was created to commemorate the live of a police officer who died. It's July 6th.

Swim 3/4 mi

bike 19 mi

run 4 mi

So yeah, check it out. And if you are doing it, let me know, because I am too. It'll be my first one and I'm pretty nervous. =)

I'll be there! I grew up in Decatur!

Edit: racing of course!

Edited by kevmk81 2008-06-20 3:14 PM

2008-06-20 8:54 PM
in reply to: #1479345

I'll be there! I grew up in Decatur! Edit: racing of course!

Awesome! and the lake temp. is 76 degrees as of today

2008-06-23 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1479637

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
Any cold fronts on the forecast? That swim will surely be a little tougher without that wetsuit. My experience is that the gap between the non-swimmers and swimmers is widened when the wetsuit is out of the equation. At any rate, my whole group is absolutely stoked about this race. I surely appreciate the updates and the particulars about the course.

AJ
2008-06-23 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just swam in the lake on Sunday before heading back up to Wisconsin. The lake temp was pretty warm, in fact I did wear my wetsuit (first time trying it out), and I overheated fairly quick.

On another note, try to look past the garbage in the lake, at least that's what I tried to do. Alicia stood ashore looking over me kept yelling "WHAT'S THAT?" I think the worst part was a trash bag I had to dodge, along with something that had "feathers".

I wonder if the volunteers/workers will try to clear out the swim area beforehand? Lake Decatur never did smell the best either. Just... different than other lakes. Not to frighten anybody :-] If you're from the area, you know what I'm talking about
2008-06-23 4:50 PM
in reply to: #1483896

kevmk81 - 2008-06-23 2:09 PM Just swam in the lake on Sunday before heading back up to Wisconsin. The lake temp was pretty warm, in fact I did wear my wetsuit (first time trying it out), and I overheated fairly quick. On another note, try to look past the garbage in the lake, at least that's what I tried to do. Alicia stood ashore looking over me kept yelling "WHAT'S THAT?" I think the worst part was a trash bag I had to dodge, along with something that had "feathers". I wonder if the volunteers/workers will try to clear out the swim area beforehand? Lake Decatur never did smell the best either. Just... different than other lakes. Not to frighten anybody :-] If you're from the area, you know what I'm talking about

HAHA! I know exactly what you're talking about! Our lake has a reputation of being really murky and dirty. I think its been worse this year with all the junk in it, because when we have a bunch of rain it gets a bit of a current and sweeps stuff into it floating down to the damn. Too strong of a current is why it had been closed a few weeks ago...

2008-06-27 7:23 PM

Lake temp. is down a degree to 75.

2008-06-29 9:52 PM

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
SWEET! Hey, does anyone know if they're having strippers for the race?? For the wetsuits, that is.
2008-07-01 1:16 PM
in reply to: #1497983

aj_breitwieser - 2008-06-29 9:52 PM SWEET! Hey, does anyone know if they're having strippers for the race?? For the wetsuits, that is.

I'm not totally sure on this, but when I volunteered at it last year, I don't recall there being any.

2008-07-01 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anybody want to do an OWS Friday or Saturday? I'm up for one, to get the pre-race jitters out.
2008-07-05 9:07 PM

Tomorrow's  the day! Best of luck everyone =)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rodney T. Miller Lakeside Triathlon Rss Feed