General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike crashes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-07 9:24 PM

Subject: bike crashes
i'm relatively new to the tri community. i've done a couple sprint tri's. an observation: i hear a lot of "war stories" about crashes from cyclists, usually involving a car. Question for you all: how prevalent are road bike crashes that require medical care either e.r., urgent care or a doc visit?

it seems like everybody who rides road bikes over a period of a few years has their crash story. am i wrong?

2008-06-07 10:04 PM
in reply to: #1451947

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Subject: RE: bike crashes
That is why they say when you crash not if you crash. If you ride long enough especially race and group ride conditions, you are going to be involved in a crash.

From what I have seen/heard, most crashes involve you losing it and wiping out or collision with another bike. I think it is more rare for bike vs. car collisions. Either way they make for some nice road rash.
2008-06-08 6:27 AM

User image

Expert
Louisville, KY

There is an old saying among motorcyclists that goes something along the lines of...

There are 2 kinds of bikers.  Those who have crashed and those who will.

The same holds true for cyclists, motorists, etc.  Every time you go for a drive, ride your bike, or even go for a walk there is an exposure to risk and it will eventually catch up to you.  Having said that, I've been cycling on and off for about 10 years and have only had one car related incident and fortunately it did not involve the need for medical attention.

2008-06-08 6:52 AM

I don't buy the "2 kinds of bikers" line.  If I did, I wouldn't motorcycle - and I know too many grizzly old men who've ridden for decades and never crashed.

Likewise I don't believe that simply bicycling, or time trialing, or driving a car means a crash is eventually going to catch up with you.  Good awareness and defensive skills take away much of the risk (though obviously not all of it).  Particularly on 2 wheels, where there are more variables, you should always be searching for dangers, evaluating them, and executing tactics to avoid that you've thought about and practiced.  You should assume that turn you're about to take has gravel until you see it doesn't, etc.  Too many riders, however, assume the turn is clear until they see the sand or gravel.  And too many riders don't practice emergency stopping, swerving, etc - so when a situation arises they don't know what to do.  That's how you get in trouble.

Cycle racing is a different story.  Just as NASCAR drivers will inevitably be in a wreck, I do believe you can't long term cycle race where drafting is allowed without getting caught up in one.  The rules and the format just make wrecking very high risk.

No, you can't control every variable and sometimes crashes happen to someone totally aware and doing everything right.   But they're not inevitable for everyone. 

Edited by Wolfgate 2008-06-08 6:54 AM
2008-06-08 6:54 AM
in reply to: #1452124

User image

Veteran
Jackson, TN
I, of course, have heard all of this. I haven't ever crashed while moving...*standing still, however, is a different story...*

I have had some close calls with cars, however.

But, I would say you can do a lot to prevent it. I am convinced (after riding with some...ahem...motivated? people...) that common sense, a little bit of caution, and knowing to YIELD to oncoming traffic is key. Basically, I will sacrifice my time or my speed, or whatever needs to be sacrificed to make myself safe on the bike. That means slowing down on some hills at times, as well as not taking for granted that a car is going to see me or stop, etc.

Anyway...this may seem like common sense. But, I've ridden with some people who have no regard for anything else that is happening on the road when they are on their bike, so...for what it is worth!
2008-06-08 7:01 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
I had my first crash two weekends ago. My front tire of my bike got caught in rail road tracks while going 18 mph. I fell on right side and I have injured my right shoulder and arm.

My hubby also says there are two kinds of bikers. It would be nice to say, if you are careful you will never have a bike crash, however, that's why they are called accidents...

Be careful and just try to avoid whatever you can...however, somethings are just out of our control!

2008-06-08 7:14 AM

Master

HEHE!  Having had all the crashes listed above.  I've found that most of my simple ones do not involve medical attention.  I figure the more I do it, no matter how careful, the more likely it is to happen.

2008-06-08 7:30 AM
in reply to: #1452140

User image

Expert
Louisville, KY
Wolfgate - 2008-06-08 7:52 AM

I don't buy the "2 kinds of bikers" line.  If I did, I wouldn't motorcycle - and I know too many grizzly old men who've ridden for decades and never crashed.

Likewise I don't believe that simply bicycling, or time trialing, or driving a car means a crash is eventually going to catch up with you.  Good awareness and defensive skills take away much of the risk (though obviously not all of it).  Particularly on 2 wheels, where there are more variables, you should always be searching for dangers, evaluating them, and executing tactics to avoid that you've thought about and practiced.  You should assume that turn you're about to take has gravel until you see it doesn't, etc.  Too many riders, however, assume the turn is clear until they see the sand or gravel.  And too many riders don't practice emergency stopping, swerving, etc - so when a situation arises they don't know what to do.  That's how you get in trouble.

Cycle racing is a different story.  Just as NASCAR drivers will inevitably be in a wreck, I do believe you can't long term cycle race where drafting is allowed without getting caught up in one.  The rules and the format just make wrecking very high risk.

No, you can't control every variable and sometimes crashes happen to someone totally aware and doing everything right.   But they're not inevitable for everyone. 

You don't have to buy the "2 kinds of riders" deal, but you better be prepared for it.  When on your motorcycle I hope you are wearing a helmet, leathers, and such.  Likewise, on your bike a proper cycling helmet.

I agree that awareness and defensive skills will lower the inherent risks, but NOTHING will eliminate the risks.  If you roll the dice enough times you come up a loser eventually. 

I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom.  I love riding motorcycles and bikes and spend a considerable amount of time doing so.  I just think that people need to be aware of risks and prepare accordingly.  Ride smart and have fun.

2008-06-08 7:48 AM
in reply to: #1452161

devilwillride - 2008-06-08 8:30 AM

You don't have to buy the "2 kinds of riders" deal, but you better be prepared for it.  When on your motorcycle I hope you are wearing a helmet, leathers, and such.  Likewise, on your bike a proper cycling helmet.

I agree that awareness and defensive skills will lower the inherent risks, but NOTHING will eliminate the risks.  If you roll the dice enough times you come up a loser eventually. 

I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom.  I love riding motorcycles and bikes and spend a considerable amount of time doing so.  I just think that people need to be aware of risks and prepare accordingly.  Ride smart and have fun.

ATGATT - well, almost all the time.   I'll admit when it gets over 90 in high humidity I sometimes drop the jacket for rides around town - too unbearable to wear sitting nonmoving in the sun.   But helmet, gloves, boots, etc.  Always.

And I'd never dream or riding my bicycle without a helmet or gloves.

I realize sometimes you can do everything right and an accident happens.  Happened to my wife a decade ago, and her helmet saved her from serious brain injury, possibly death.  A lady who was stopped at a stop sign that my wife was sure she was making eye contact with pulled out into the side of my wife.  As it was she spent a week in the hospital.

I don't think we're far off the same page, except I (and the old guys I know who've ridden crash free for years) tend to think the "2 kinds of bikers' line actually sets a tone with young kids and new riders that crashes are inevitable, so why train to avoid them.  Counterintuitive, but young kids thought processes often don't make sense either.  And since most crashes are rider error (and I bet most of those attributed to the other vehicle could have been avoided with proper defensive riding), seems to me training and thinking is the best safety equipment you can have.

I much prefer to train for avoidance, practice emergency manuevers, dress for the crash I'm working to never have happen and ride as safely as possible!

2008-06-08 5:53 PM

I don't know, but this is one thing that terrifies me about training.  I have 2 young kids and every time I go for a ride, I panic a little (or a lot). 
2008-06-08 5:59 PM

User image

Expert
Welcome to Super Mario World
My injuries from this passed fall...

Head trauma; Concussion; Loss of consciousness; Coma; Sternal fracture; L2 compression fracture; Fracture of distal clavicle of left shoulder; Fourth cranial nerve palsy; Left lower lung contusion; Multiple rib fractures; Double vision; Memory loss; Left ear bleeding; Chest bruising; Mandibular pain; Chin laceration; Multiple bruises and contusions; Laceration on neck and ear; Road rash on left arm, shoulder and neck; Lumbar sprain/strain; Thoracic sprain/strain; Fractured Sternum; and Pain and suffering.

Pictures...
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnail...

2008-06-09 5:30 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Baitboy...got any tips on how to help heal a shoulder/injury? I still can't lift my arm above my head since my crash two weeks ago without a lot of pain!
2008-06-09 6:17 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Crashes happen, and the more paranoid you are, the less likely they are to happen. Don't let the potential scare you away from cycling. Just be prepared, wear your helmet and pay attention to your surroundings.

2008-06-09 6:47 AM

User image

Near Pittsburgh PA
I have been riding for many years and I have had 2 crashes. My last one was in April. A car turned in front of me and hit me. As I bounced off the ground she took off. The problem was she didn't run far enough and I found her and called the police. I was sore but unhurt. The bike was alright because I never had a chance to unclip and the bike landed on me.
She told the cop she never hit me! The short story is that she contradicted herself many times and the cop knew she was making it up as she went along. She plead guilty last Wednesday and she received 23 months Intensive Probation.
I am avid motorcyclist also and you only survive if you ride/bike defensively. I assume every car is trying hit me and act appropriately. I have never had a motorcycle crash but, like the bicycle crashes, sometimes you can do everything right and you will still crash. Good luck.
2008-06-09 9:21 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

So far, I've never hit the deck because of a car -- it's always been my own idiocy or because of another person on a bike. That's not to say that I haven't had to lock up the binders or take evasive action because or automobile traffic, because I certainly have on many occasions. It's just never gotten to me-vs-car contact, or having to lay it down to avoid a collision. I call myself fortunate.

But I do have a lot of scars from bike races...

2008-06-09 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

scout005 - 2008-06-07 8:24 PM how prevalent are road bike crashes that require medical care either e.r., urgent care or a doc visit? it seems like everybody who rides road bikes over a period of a few years has their crash story. am i wrong?

Those type of crashes happen, but they're not very prevalent. Most people I know who have crashed have road rash and a few bruises, but nothing serious. The last crash I remember having was more than 10 years ago and involved a dog coming out of nowhere that I hit, causing me to flip over the bars. Landed on my head and shoulder. Helmet saved my head and I scraped my shoulder up, but nothing requiring medical attention.

Awareness of your surroundings and good bike handling skills can help prevent most crashes. Avoiding risky activities like pack riding - which is totally unnecessary for triathlon - eliminates other potential hazards.

2008-06-09 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland

Statistically, cycling is the most dangerous sport

2008-06-09 11:59 AM

New user

I've been biking for 35 years now and have never even had a really close call with a car.

Dog's yes and I've just fallen off a few times

Now I ride with one of those big orange flags on the bike, being seen is key to not getting hit.   I see it as similar to wearing a seat belt in a car.  Of course when you over 45 years old it's easy to get away with the big orange flag, knowbody is going to think you cool no matter what. Wink

2008-06-09 12:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Chilliwack B.C
I had a guy crash head on into me during a race, on the bike. He was on the wrong side of the course coming down a hill heading into a sharp corner, I was coming into the corner and starting up the hill. Zero time to react, took full force to the head. 20 stiches to the face and a concussion....but I managed to finish the race (probably due to the knock to the head). Hopfully I am now disaster proof. What are the chances of that happening again????
2008-06-09 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
There are two types of riders: The kind who have crashed and the kind who will.

When you find yourself among there numbers- or before then- check this resource out:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/roadrash.shtml
2008-06-09 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
I have fallen over standing still, or starting, and I have crashed.

The standing still/starting fall overs are a pick your self back up, and make a joke about your self type deal. A few black & blue marks, perhaps a few cuts, but that is about it.

My actual crash was an ER trip. I thought I broke my arm, but luckly I did not. However, I did leave the ER with 17 new stitches and some nice road rash.

2009-03-21 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York

For some reason I read through this thread.  (Am I really  that bored?)  and now I am terrified of biking.  I am a novice road biker.  Sure, I biked every day a few miles back and forth to school and work in college on my mountain bike but nothing like this 'skinny tire' high speed stuff.

I am already terrified of the Wildflower downhills (my first tri - May 3rd.)  At my last team practice, someone got a flat tire while going on a steep descent and had to be taken away by emergency services.  Surgery for him was in order.

I really ought not have read this thread. :-)

BUT while riding back and forth to school and work in college, I was hit three times already by cars.  One an old lady and one late at night.  I was holding a Jumbo Slurpee and the other driver was a car of young guys not looking when making a 'right on red.'  I went over the hood and lost the slurpee, but otherwise was okay. :-D

Since I have already had three crashes does that mean I am 'out' for another one?  Meaning, no more are in store for me?

It just sounds bad scary. 

Yours truly,

dbw27

2009-03-21 7:21 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, WI

my "story" was me being completely stupid. Decided I needed to try to adjust the sensor thingy on the fork, while doing about 20. (Mrs T's (aka Chicago) triathlon...crash on the LSD 8/2000). Hand through the wheel. common knowledge...bike stops, rider goes over handle bars onto head, then face and shoulders. Next 9hours in Northwestern ER, trying to prove I did NOT have a broken neck. (Helmet really SAVED my life, shattered the helmet, my brain was fine...though thats debatable). Moral of story, if your computer isn't working...suck it up and ride even faster!

Have had several close calls with cars...JUST PAY ATTENTION on the road, for the cars, trucks, dogs etc that ARE NOT paying attention!

(note, not fun having an IV started while riding in a very bumpy ambulance!)

Edited by pjgrande 2009-03-21 7:23 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike crashes Rss Feed