General Discussion Race Reports! » Moses Lake Family Tri: For the Health of It Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Moses Lake Family Tri: For the Health of It - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Moses Lake, Washington
United States
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 07m 37s
Overall Rank = 126/161
Age Group = F 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/6
Pre-race routine:

We were staying at the Moses Lake Comfort Suites. I woke up at 5:45 AM and went to the hot tub for 15 minutes to warm up and stretch my right shoulder. Went back to the room, showered and dressed. Then ate breakfast of Yoplait Strawberry/Banana Yogurt, a mini poppyseed muffin, bottle of water, and a half cup of coffee. Packed the car and headed to the Blue Heron Park. Set up transition area, then had a banana about 30 minutes before the race.

Met up and talked with TeamFastt teammates: Sean, Gordon, and Angela; tri and BT friends Tory, Lisa, Ann, Leslie, Lynne, Mike, and Leah.
Event warmup:

Went for a brief swim, 5-7 minutes.
Swim
  • 36m 14s
  • 1600 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt good with my swim given my relatively low training volume and recent shoulder pain. I actually faired better than I had expected. I liked swimming parallel to the shoreline, I was better able to sight. I was able to draft on the fourth length, that really is helpful.

I saw Lisa next to me at one point and said hi to her. I spotted her because she had a pink cap under her purple cap and I saw the pink sticking out.

My shoulder stayed loose and I was happy about that :)
What would you do differently?:

Keep building volume/base in training. Keep up drills.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I felt very dizzy coming out of the water so I walked/barely jogged to transition. The distance to T1 was short, AWESOME. Dropped my cap, turned around to pick it up (why?). I only had one arm out of my wetsuit when I arrived in transition...it was a short distance, after all. Got the top and first leg out fine. Second heel got hung up and I bent over to pull it off. Almost tipped over (still dizzy). Then it occurred to me to use the rack for support and step out of the suit, that worked great.

Lisa said hello. Ann was in transition also and we said hi. We all made it out of the water!

Put on glasses, helmet, socks and shoes, and was off.

Is there a trick to ending the dizzines sooner. Does practicing going from swimming to running over and over help? I'll give that a try.

I want to work on transitions more and get my time down on them.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 21s
  • 22 miles
  • 16.03 mile/hr
Comments:

My plan was to right at 18 MPH out and push it up a notch on the way in. (It's an out and back course). I followed my plan all the way to the park exit. When I hit the road, the headwinds hit me! The ride out was a workout and slow, bummer. My average speed at 11 miles was 12.34 MPH, ouch. I kept hoping that we would catch the tailwind on the way back in and we did! The ride back was FUN, FUN, FUN!!! My max speed on the downhill was 41 MPH. (The fastest woman's speed was 45.something and the men's was 47.something) My bike computer shows an average overall speed of 17 MPH (but that was after I walked it to the car at the end of the race). When splits come out tomorrow, we'll see what my pace was.

It was fun to see Lisa, Ann, Lynne, Leslie, Tory, and my TeamFastt teammates during the bike. Leslie's been training hard and faithfully all winter and it showed today! She was well on her way back in while I was riding out. That meant she had a fast swim and a fast bike! Yeah Leslie! Ann was smoking fast on the way back in. She passed me and was out of my sight in no time flat. It was beautiful to see! Ann rocks!

Do more hill training, although I did pass three people on the climbs, so I was surprised and pleased with that.

I am contemplating adding aerobars.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I did not jump off my moving bike. I was slow going into transition. The in and out was at the same gate and it was narrow. A couple burleymen sprint racers were coming out so I yielded before going into transition.

My left foot was still numb (likely due to cold). My socks were damp so I decided to change socks.

Practice jumping off moving bike.
Run
  • 1h 09m 2s
  • 6.3 miles
  • 10m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I stopped at the park restrooms about 50 yards out of the transition area. Good idea. Added time but removed the distraction of thinking about needing to go while finishing the race.

I am feeling only ok about my run. I kept my HR at 160. And only let it go above after I got back into the park. I slowed down in the last 1.5 miles to maintain the 160 (80%), maybe I could have allowed it to go up to 170? But this was my first oly and I wanted to be sure to finish strong so I played it cautious.

I haven't been using my HR monitor during training, the strap battery had died. Should have replaced it. I wasn't sure how hard I would be able to push myself and for how long.
Post race
Warm down:

Turned around and ran back to meet Lynne to finish the race with her. I didn't know until I met up with her, but she had fallen on the bike while riding through some sand or ash and was suffering with a very sore knee. (I hit that spot, or similar spot, too while biking and went slip-sliding and fishtailing, fortunately did not go down).

We ran/walked to the finish together.

I think I got just over 4 more miles of running.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First race of the season, first olympic distance, so I was probably more tentative and cautious. I hope my shoulder continues to improve and that I can increase my pace.

Event comments:

I missed when the AG awards were handed out while I was doing my cooldown run. When I came back, Bob gave me my 3rd place medal. Wow! My first AG award. It was a 2008 Nationals qualifier, so technically, I guess I can compete at the Nationals in September in Portland.

The volunteers at this race are so great, there was a group of girls at one corner of the run who did very motivating cheers! The water station women were so kind and personable. Thank you Moses Lake! I'll be back.

Most awesome moment, I went to get some post-race food. The woman at the station asked me how I did, I looked at her and said "Pretty good, I won an award in my age group for the first time ever" and my eyes fell on the dragonfly necklace she was wearing. For my friends that know me, the dragonfly has a very special meaning to me since my sister Nanette passed away. My sister was at my first triathlon ever, and that dragonfly necklace reminded me that she was celebrating with me at my first olympic ever and first AG finish ever today as well.

Last updated: 2008-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:14 | 1600 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 133/161
Performance: Average
Suit: LS Blue Seventy Synergie
Course: two laps parallel to shoreline (about 70 yards out, maybe less)
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:22:21 | 22 miles | 16.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 132/161
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:09:01.9 | 06.3 miles | 10m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 139/161
Performance: Below average
Course: out and back on paved trail and sidewalk
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-07 9:42 PM

User image

Subject: Moses Lake Family Tri: For the Health of It

2008-06-08 8:30 AM
in reply to: #1451970

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: RE: Moses Lake Family Tri: For the Health of It

Hey, nice race!  I'm sorry I missed this one, it sounds like a nice contingent of BTers there too!

You'll hear this from more people, but for the dizzyness, try kicking for the last 50yards or so of the swim... it seems to get the blood moving around so that it doesn't all rush out of your head when you stand up.  Smile

Good job on your first Oly!

2008-06-09 1:35 AM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Well done Michele! Awesome report! I didn't know you qualified. That is fantastic!! And thank you SO much for running with me. That totally made my day
2008-06-09 5:03 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Great report, Michele!  It was so much fun racing with you--and congrats on nationals!  Do they have an Athena division??  If so, I'll go race with ya!  Thanks for the nice shout out in your race report, by the way.  Looking forward to some more fun s/b/r/h (the h being hanging out) with you soon!!

-Leslie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Moses Lake Family Tri: For the Health of It Rss Feed