General Discussion Race Reports! » Lafayette Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lafayette Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lafayette, Indiana
United States
Lafayette YMCA
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Nothing fancy. I packed and loaded my gear the night before. This allows me to obsess about the gear checklist for much longer - triple check while I'm packing, lay in bed and think about it while I'm trying to go to sleep, fret about it in the car on the way to the race.

Got up on race day and had an english muffin with pb for breakfast and headed over to the race site. I got there early enough for a nice spot in transistion. Then it was just a lot of waiting around, staring at the clouds, and hoping for better weather by race start.
Event warmup:

I was lazy and didn't warm up.
Swim
  • 09m
  • 450 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

There wasn't much room to line up for the swim start. I didn't get a very good spot - back of the pack and no chance to submerge in the water to get the shock of the cold over with. At the outset I ended up doing a lot of breaststroke and tarzan swimming - both to try and catch my breath and to avoid all the congestion. By the 100m mark I had found a little bit of clear space and finally got into a nice rhythm. After rounding the bouy I really felt comfy and even managed to swim a fairly straight line.
What would you do differently?:

Be more aggresive about getting a good spot for the start. Get some OWS practice.

This was my first ever OWS so I feel really good about how things went. No panic and I sighted fairly well.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I was a little slow in transition. I had a hard time getting feet dry enough for putting socks on. Once I got to the mount area I had some trouble getting clipped in.

This was my first race using the clipless pedals. I've only been using them for two weeks so I'm still not completely comfortable. I need to practice transitions. I think some swim/bike bricks will be on the training schedule in the future. I also want to experiment with going sockless.
Bike
  • 48m
  • 13.66 miles
  • 17.08 mile/hr
Comments:

It started to rain just as I was getting started on the bike. First part of the course was fairly quick with the wind at our backs. After the first turn we had a crosswind that was really pelting us with rain. It felt almost like bits of hail stinging the skin. Next turn put us in a headwind. Rain really was starting to pick up and the road was starting to get a little slick. At one point I shifted my feet in a way that made piles of water run into my shoes. By the final turn to head back to the start I was over the rain. I just wanted off the bike and on to the run. I glanced at my watch and knew I needed to keep cranking if I wanted to make my time goal so I just put my head down and suffered the rain as best I could.

I'm still slow on the bike. I just need more time in the saddle. Pedaling efficiency drills probably wouldn't hurt either. I'm sure I'm not taking full advantage of having my feet attached to my bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I decided to keep the bike shoes on rather than to try and get my feet out of my shoes while still moving. It was wet and I just didn't feel comfortable taking my attention off the road.

I really just need more practice on transitions.
Run
  • 26m 38s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a little trouble settling in on the run but by the end of the first mile I had found a comfortable pace. The rain was still falling and I was starting to feel a little pruney. I really just wanted to be done and into some dry clothes.

Completely happy with my run. This is the only leg where i remember to hit the lap button. If my timekeeping skills are to be trusted, this is my fastest 5K to date.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk, stretch, eat, chat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think time in the saddle is my biggest limiter. Maybe by this time next year I'll be fast on the bike. Just have to keep riding.

Event comments:

Well organized race. Lots of great volunteers who stood in the rain to make sure we all made it safely to the finish.

Only bummer is that they only recorded final times. No chips so no transition or split times. I forget to hit the lap button for all but the run start so I only recorded one split. I did glance at the clock as I came out of the water so I have a fairly decent idea of my times for the swim and bike.

Last updated: 2008-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:00 | 450 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Simple out and back
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:00 | 13.66 miles | 17.08 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Mostly flat, some moderate hills
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:38 | 03.1 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Out and back with some rolling hills
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-08 9:30 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: Lafayette Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon

2008-06-08 12:17 PM
in reply to: #1452216

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
Subject: RE: Lafayette Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon
Hi Emily,

Great race! I think your bike time was good considering the wet weather and the newness of the clipless pedals. Also, you should be proud of your first OWS.

John
2008-06-08 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

From a fellow Hoosier, now in CA for 21 years, Congrats on your race. Way to power through the rain. Good job. And, you'll get used to the pedals. It took a few spills and skinned knees for me,  :-)

Lynn 

2008-06-08 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Emily,

Nice job! It was tough conditions, but fun anyway. It was nice meeting you. Maybe we'll pass one another on the road sometime.

Keep up the good work!
2008-06-09 7:25 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Great job out there.  OWS starts take a bit to get used to.  Great job on not having a panic attack over it!
2008-06-09 4:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview

WOW!  You totally kicked butt in all three splits!  WAY TO GO!  I bet you are walking on air!

2008-06-09 8:38 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Great job!  and a full blown rain tri too wow.  Congrats
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lafayette Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed