View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Denver, Colorado
United States
Total Time = 2h 22m 35s
Overall Rank = 799/976
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 87/108
Pre-race routine:

I woke up around 6:00 feeling sick to my stomach. All I could take in was a banana before the race. I was feeling BAD. I think I ate too much yesterday and didn't give it enough time to digest.
Event warmup:

A little bit of stretching.
Run
  • 2h 22m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I signed up at the last minute for this race b/c my college roommate was in town and doing the race. Plus, it started and ended right by my house. So even though I am in half marathon shape, I am in the middle of HIM training and ended up doing a 2+ hour bike ride yesterday. I decided to treat it like a training run, and try to keep myself paced slowly throughout the race. I have a problem of bonking in half marathons when I'm not fully prepared and end up spending the last 1-4 miles doing a run/walk combo.

My goal was to run slowly and hold off the bonk as long as possible. It was raining pretty hard through about mile 4, but then it cleared up and got sunny and warm. I stopped several times to use the porta-potty and to switch out my wet socks, which slowed me down. And I didn't have the juice to run the big hills between downtown and Sloan's lake either. But I kept plugging away and made it into the thirteenth mile before taking a bunch of unplanned walk breaks.

This was my second slowest half (with the slowest being my first half five years ago), but because I wasn't setting out to set a record today, I'm not going to dwell on the time.
What would you do differently?:

I am ok with my performance as a training run around 11 minute miles, but I realize I need to do a few longer runs in my training from now on. I'm just not the person who can run 10 milers in preparation for a half marathon, relying on race day adrenaline to get me through the end. I also need to work on my mental toughness and what I'm going to tell myself in order to keep going when I reach the run in my HIM in August. I suppose making it through this race while tired was good prep for it, though!
Post race
Warm down:

A little bit of stretching; walked around the expowith a couple of friends; had adequate water and then a nice beer!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fatigue, stomach issues

Event comments:

The 12 mile marker was placed somewhere near the 12.5 or 12.6 mile point. Very disheartening! Although I have to say that it was so far off most people weren't fooled.

Other than that, it was a great race. There were tons of volunteers, and everyone was so helpful. The marines on "Marine Hill" next to Mile High Stadium were great cheerleaders.

Last updated: 2008-06-07 12:00 AM
Running
02:22:35 | 13.1 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/108
Overall: 0/976
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-08 12:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Rocky Mountain Half Marathon

2008-06-09 11:32 AM
in reply to: #1452394

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Subject: RE: Rocky Mountain Half Marathon
I love the quote from your CCL post -- "I did last minute 1/2 mary this morning".  For this being a last minute thing, you did great!!!
2008-06-09 2:39 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: Rocky Mountain Half Marathon
Awesome job!  Congrats!
2008-06-09 3:19 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-06-23 5:04 PM