Vineman
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 30s
Overall Rank = 84/211
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 22/31
Pre-race routine:

This was an evening race so I felt my timing was off the entire day. I went into work at 5am and left at 11, went home and loaded stuff and off I went. It was around a 2 hour drive with one stop. Arrived at 1:30 and registered and droped stuff of at transition spot. Now what? Sat in the shade for about 2 1/2 hors and chilled, was feeling sort of tired.Prerace meeting started at around 4. People were showing up late so I kept having to move all my stuff. Then it seemed like a scramble to get ready, I thought the waves were going out later, they were getting ready as I was putting on wetsuit, WTF ! Managed to get four endurolites in, thanks (poweredbyfear)no cramps this time.
Event warmup:

None,did not even stretch, was putting on wetsuit as I walked to beach start. Also forgot my gel, I felt a real lack of gameplan at this point.
Swim
  • 06m 28s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim started off as a run in, I managed to get out about ten yards before I dove in.I did not get smacked, but It was very crowded and got shoved to the point that drafting would not be an option. There was a ton of climbing going on, I was just as guilty, but you really did not have a choice. Our pack was tight and I was directly in the middle, we actually ran over people as we went, I could not see the victims because of the splashing, it felt as though they were vertical as we ran over them. I could not get into my grove, it was way too crowded and the swim too short,you just had to swim all out or get run over, bad thing was we were zig zagging. This was my first ocean swim,it was not real choppy but I got to drink some saltwater and I am not too crazy about the taste.I was exhausted after the swim,had serious challenges pulling wetsuit down as I ran.
What would you do differently?:

Start on outside, I started in the front twards inside. I could have gone fast if I had not been trapped in a group.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Got lazy removing wetsuit and a sleeve got caught in the leg while removing.Just kept trying to push. I was still out of breath from swim though, grabbed bike and was off.

Pay attention.
Bike
  • 37m 28s
  • 9 miles
  • 14.41 mile/hr
Comments:

There was not enough room from the bike mount line to where you go straight up the hill out of transition. I could not get my right foot clipped in the whole way up, having to make a hard left halfway up did not help either, stopped three times out of frustration so I just had to place my shoe on cleat and hope for the best.
The first half of the course wore me down,I already knew I suck at hills.Every hill I would get passed, these were described as rolling hills, they were not!
Flew through 2nd half as the wind was at my back,the roads were in terrible shape and all of the down hills had curves that would keep you from putting it to the floor, some were very sharp.
Comming into transition was a joke, you had to dismount then skip to the top of the steep hill at transition and shuffle down without falling.

Train more on hills, can I get a break with the hills!
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

How stupid, I left my shoes tied! While scrambling one notted up,nice!Bet I dont do that again. I have tried yankz in training but they just dont get tight enough for me.

Have transition area organized better.
Run
  • 31m 33s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Had to walk stairs out of transition, they went straight up and caused my breathing to get way out of control. It took me until the halfway point to get my breathing under control and find my stride, 2nd half felt way better. I even started increasing my pace but at this point I started to get passed by the faster females from wave before me, they all looked like marathon runners. The downhill to the finish was welcomed.

Need to do more bike to run bricks, well,maybe I should start with more run miles.Running has been challenging all year because of knees, run traing has been entirely hit and miss.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and hydrated.Got a smoothie,berry, from the race tent, soo good!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I did not have any expectations as I wanted to treat this as just another training day.Weakness continues to be hills on bike, wore me down completely for the run,again! Did not get allot of info from previous race reports regarding course, also did not practice this course. I will do tris on days off from now on, today I worked for six hours, then drove two hours to race. It made for an extremely long day, too long. I have a long way to go before I feel confident about my ability!

Event comments:

Some of the hills were good size, not rollers. Wind really picked up on bike course. I did not like the run course after going up stairs out of transition, it took me to the halfway point to get my heart rate down.
Was glad to finish!

Last updated: 2007-11-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:28 | 440 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/31
Overall: 26/211
Performance: Average
Suit: Profile Bionix
Course: Short,too short! It was a u-shape with bouys on your right. Start at sandy beach,with sandy exit on grass path into transition through a kiddie pool.Two waves of swimmers,male,female.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:28 | 09 miles | 14.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/31
Overall: 125/211
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Steep hill comming out of transition. More hills than I anticipated with strong wind on the first half. Had wind behind me on the way back. Could not ride down hill into transition, just too steep, real fun with bike shoes on and legs stiff, I am amazed I didnt fall over or slipp and smack my head.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 70
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:31:33 | 03 miles | 10m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/31
Overall: 163/211
Performance: Below average
Course: Very steap stairs right out of transition followed by uphill then dwnhill to main road. Out and back course that seemed longer than 3 miles.Only one aid station at turn around made for a hot and long run.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-08 2:18 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: Vineman Showdown at Sundown

2008-06-08 4:27 PM
in reply to: #1452477

User image

Extreme Veteran
Incline Village, NV
Subject: RE: Vineman Showdown at Sundown
Great job yesterday afternoon!  I agree with you on the bike hills, they kind of threw me for a loop too.  Not sure why, but I thought the bike would be relatively flat.  haha
2008-06-10 2:26 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
sounds like you killed the swim (despite all the contact), survived the hills on the bike, and finished strong on the run.  Way to go!
2008-06-10 4:12 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, CA
Good job on no cramping! I used electrolytes again this weekend for a long bike ride in the heat and it worked like a charm. I took 3 capsules after 33 miles, then needed 2 more capsules after 55 mles. I know now by how my muscles feel whether I need electrolytes. Yes, I have found my cure.

BTW for next race, after your last training run, leave your laces tied and just pull off your shoes. That way you know the laces are perfectly tied. Then for the race, bring a shoe horn into T2. That way you just pull the shoes on, perfect.

Keep racing and I'm sure you'll get everything together.
2008-06-11 12:17 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Great job in the race! Sounds like it was a really challenging course. And congrats on your first ocean OW swim!
2008-06-11 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
congrats on a finishing a tough course, and on your first OWS!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineman Showdown at Sundown Rss Feed