Greenbrook Racing
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 47s
Overall Rank = 104/199
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/5
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30 had a cup of coffee, and a bowl of cereal. Headed out to the race site. Got a good transition spot right by bike out. Set up my transition area, and talked with people around me. Met a newbie who is with Team in Training, using this as a practice for the NYC Triathlon.

The weather was nasty, hazy, hot and humid, with a blistering sun. It was 85 degrees at 7:30 and climbing. The topic du jour was drinking, there were a multitude of announcements on it, and it seemed to be what everyone was talking about. I don't quite get my nutrition right, but I had a bottle of electrolyte, and a half bottle of water left, in the event that I needed more after the bike. I don't quite understand why so many people had two bottle on their bike for what for many was less than a 30 minute ride.:)
Event warmup:

Jogged around the Watchung traffic circle, did a few startups in the water. Had shot blocks before entering for the swim.

Swim
  • 09m 33s
  • 528 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Oh that water felt good! The swim was good. I have not done a treading water start and now understand the concept of the "washing machine". I was not aggressive enough to fight for a front start, and I should have been. Everyone started off fast, but shortly in I had to make my way through the people that couldn't sustain it. That was tough, water had no visibility and you couldn't see bubbles or feet. I rounded great at the buoy actually brushing it with my arm as as I did, unfortunately I needed to round a little further around the buoy and ended up off course. It was difficult to see the remaining buoys or the exit as the sun was right in my eyes.
What would you do differently?:

Start in the front. I need to work on sighting, and rounding the buoy better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

I thought transition was better than it turned out to be. I am not sure where I can pick up speed. I think I need to run into and out of transition like it is a 5K, or at least think about all those people I am chasing. I think I may take it too casually.

Practice!
Bike
  • 37m 44s
  • 10 miles
  • 15.90 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good out of transition, and felt even better clipping in on the first try. It was an easy flat for about 4 miles until the big hill climb, and I knew I could make good time while preparing for the hill climb. I figured it was a good time to take in some fluids. And did a couple of times, and on the third....oops there goes MY ONLY water bottle :). Question of the day answered.

I began to doubt myself whether I made a good decision to not stop for the water bottle. After the first hill climb my mouth was very dry, and I was beginning to think that maybe I should stop for one of the dropped bottles on the course. :). After the series of rollers, I made the conscious decision to hold on to my spit rather than get rid of it, sucking every last drop of water out of it.

The finish was good, and I was able to unclip quickly dismount well, and get into transition. This was a good bike time for me given my training on the bike, and my T.I.T.S.

I need more time in the saddle. I have less than 200 miles on the bike since my injury last September. I have been reluctant to push hard in training for fear of a re injuring, but I think that is not a concern anymore. I need to get out there on it.

Not drop my water bottle. When we got home my husband promptly put a second cage on my bike!
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

I was tired and hot. I grabbed my half water bottle as I walked out of transition trying to get most of it in me, rather than on me.

Not drop my water bottle, so I don't have to worry about getting fluids in me on a hot day.
Run
  • 29m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out hard running a 7:30 pace, but couldn't sustain it. I was sucking air on the steepest part of the hill and had to drop the pace to get the breathing under control. Usually I can run the HR up without sucking air, just couldn't do it today. My mouth felt like it was full of toothpaste with no flavoring, and at the second water station I had to slow to a walk to get a cup of water into me. I ran the second half hard, but it wasn't enough to bring up the pace.

I was hoping for a faster run, but this 5k was better than the one in my last tri by 4 minutes.

Not drop my water bottle.

Just need to push it harder. I don't know what I was saving myself for.
Post race
Warm down:

Got something to drink. Went to cheer in two of the newbies I met in transition, and a couple of other people that I encouraged during the run. Got something to drink. Looked for my family. Got something to drink. Found my family, and got some food. Got something to drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall I am happy with the race. Compared to my last tri I did better in the swim and the run.

dropping my water bottle didn't help. If I had it on the bike, I wouldn't have thought two seconds about it, not having it was all I could focus on on such a hot day.

I Need more time in the saddle.

Event comments:

They did a great job on this race. The bike course was a heavy traffic course and they had it well marked and coned off in areas of concern. They had a large police presence at all intersections. They did a nice job of marking the road hazards so we were aware of them before they came up on us.

May do it next year.

Last updated: 2008-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:33 | 528 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 47/199
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Triangle out and back.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:44 | 10 miles | 15.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 126/199
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Flat to start with a big hill climb about 4 miles in. Then some nice rollers to one more big hill climb to a huge downhill into transition.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:16 | 03.11 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 116/199
Performance: Average
Course: uphill half way, down hill comin' home.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-08 9:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
Subject: Patanella's doc and sok triathlon

2008-06-08 9:59 PM
in reply to: #1453019

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Patanella's doc and sok triathlon

Did you drop your water bottle or something, why were you so thirsty?

Great job on a hot day.  If it was anything like it was here you did superb!!  That swimming will come.  Tough when you know you are good but everyone tells you not to get in the front.  Congrates on knocking down your 5K time, 4 minutes, phew!   I have been sucking AC today.    

2008-06-09 3:55 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great job. especially for the first one of the year!  Its tough to push yourself when the heat is as bad as it was this weekend. 

You did an awesome job!!! 

2008-06-09 5:38 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Excellent race!   Aside from dropping the wate bottle and being bone dry the whole time you had a perfect race!  4 minutes off the stand alone 5K time?  That is HUGE!

Umm, get a drink of water or something

2008-06-09 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Great race! Sounds like you had a great time!
2008-06-11 3:56 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Great job on this race!  its amazing how much we learn each time out!!!

2008-06-12 6:57 PM

User image

Master
NJ
great job on a blistering day!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patanella's doc and sok triathlon Rss Feed