Overall Rank = DNF/
Age Group = Women 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Swim
  • 36m
  • 750 meters
  • 04m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

Supposed to be 750m, but actual distance probably 1200m. No way could the winner in my AG post a 2:20/100m split
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 00m
  • 20 kms
  • 0.00 km/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Event comments:

Sorry but I will not be filing a detailed race report.

On the recommendation of the people at Running Room the night before, I bought a long sleeve tech shirt that can be worn under the wetsuit and race suit to provide extra warmth. I also wore an extra swim cap. Race day was VERY COLD, 9C and water temp 11C, and RAINY. The swim course was inaccurately measured, probably 1.6x the race distance. (Looks like the sprint swim is longer than the oly swim the next day as the sprint swim splits are > oly swim splits across the board) That means they've incorrectly measured the course for the 2nd consecutive day. I don't know how I got through the swim, but by the time I'm out of the water and wetsuit after 36min, I was freezing and trembling. I thought the worst part was over. I started the 3-loop bike course slowly, just wanted to stay safe and finish. I got colder and colder, the body just couldn't warm up battling the rain and wind. Being skinny with very little body fat certainly did not help. I finished the first loop, mostly coasting w/o too much pedalling. The cold never went away. Somewhere during the downhill on the 2nd loop, something happened. I don't remember what, but when I came to, some guy said "I'm the paramedic and you're in an ambulance. Do you know what your name is?" I told him my name and told him I'm VERY COLD, I was shaking under the blanket. To make a long story short, it's hypothermia, I probably passed out and crashed, not sure in what order. I measured 34C when the paramedic picked me up. I'M OK now, don't worry, but I'm still suffering from post concussion symptoms, headaches, nausea... and my right side is all banged up, road rash, bruises, etc... I'm back in the hotel, resting and realizing this is NOT a nightmare. The mind was willing and tried to tough it out, but the body was not able and decided to shut down, even though I was IN THE BEST SHAPE OF MY LIFE on race day. Needless to say, I'm disappointed and I just want to forget this whole experience, which probably explains the amnesia I have of the accident.

In my opinion, the race organization is negligent in not correctly measuring the swim course. They cut the oly swim to 1100m, as any longer was deemed unsafe. They decided not to cut short the sprint swim, but in the end, I think the sprint triathletes all swam more than 1100m! For those that made it to the finish line, report is that the medical tent there was like a "war zone", and many athletes suffered hypothermia. This race organization certainly did not put the athletes safety first and provided a VERY UNPLEASANT experience to many triathletes that had come long distances from all over the world.

Album here - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnail...

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-04-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:00 | 750 meters | 04m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: Full suit, add'tl long sleeve top under race suit
Course: Point to Point.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 11C / 52F Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 20 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: 3 loops in Stanley Park
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2008-06-08 10:18 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Subject: ITU Triathlon World Championships

2008-06-08 11:38 PM
in reply to: #1453085

User image

Silverdale, WA
Subject: RE: ITU Triathlon World Championships
Sounds awful. Glad you are mostly doing better now.
2008-06-09 12:00 AM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Really sorry to hear about the bad race patricia. I really hope that you heal up quickly and get back up on your feet alright. Take care.
2008-06-09 9:11 AM

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"

Sorry to hear of your mishap Patricia. I had a friend who was in the Oly race. He retty much echoed your sediments on the race organization. He felt it was an embarrassment for Canada.

All the best for the rest of your season. 

2008-06-09 10:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario

Hi Patricia,

I am so sorry about the outcome of your race.  I am however glad to see that you are taking good care of yourself and getting better.

I hope this unfortunate turn of events won't deter you from pursuing your future triathlon training and racing goals.  

Get well for now and come back strong!

Nathalie

2008-06-09 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC
I'm truly sorry you had such a bad time.  I hope the road rash heals up quickly and you get right back on the bike! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU Triathlon World Championships Rss Feed