General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running sux redux...... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-13 7:42 PM

User image

Subject: Running sux redux......

I reference you to .... http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9674&posts=15

In my efforts to wean myself from the comfort and safety of the treadmill, and thanks to the motivational efforts of certain BTers (you know who you are), I am forcing myself to get outdoors and do real running.  I live in So Cal, after all (although, recently......

The post above was from the olde 18/12 walk/run days (couch to 5K).  I am now in the 6/24 days, and last night went out on the same course for the run.  It was still harder than the treadmill, and I am still painfully slow, and I screwed my timer up so it kept stopping, but I did the run, in fact because of the timer issues I ended up doing more of the run it appears, than I was required to.  And although hard (i was definitely counting down the streets near the end... "fifteenth, fourteenth...... ), it felt pretty good to do it. 

Just thought I'd share since I was a little harsh on the run last time :-

Chris

2005-01-13 8:35 PM
in reply to: #103337

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Running sux redux......
*snicker* See, I knew you'd turn to the dark side Congratulations! Think of it this way - every road, street, path, forest, sidewalk, et cetera is now your gym.

-Frank
2005-01-13 8:42 PM

Elite Veteran
Run outside for a while and then try running on a treadmill.....to paraphrase an episode of Friends, you'll be like the guy from Lord of the Dance with your legs flailing about you!
2005-01-13 8:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond, VA

Nothing will make you feel quite as powerful as running that first 5k, or one mile, or 30 minutes, or whatever, without stopping.

Once I finished a run without feeling like I had submitted to feelings of torture or toil, and felt like a god when I saw I'd run for over an hour.

I'll run a hundred horrible miles to have that feeling again.  You'll have your personal peaks as well.  I look forward to reading about them.

Keep beating the feet.

2005-01-13 9:53 PM

Regular
Chris
I'm no superman...in fact I'm the posterboy for the 90lb weakling getting sand kicked in his face, however many years ago I joined the armed forces and they made that history. Several years after leaving the army and being an office worker I went for a short run on a treadmill, 20 minutes I thought at a very slow pace......I didn't make it more than 10 before I had to quit. Horrible, simply horrible.....how could I get into such bad shape....that was in August.

Since then I have persisted trying to run, swim and bike on a regular basis....between sore shoulder cuffs, saddle sores, swimmers ear, shin splints I have managed to make progress........eleven miles this past sunday at the earth shattering speed of 11min/mile!.....

Keep with it Pal...all the hard work and pain is worth it in the end....very soon you'll be jogging along thinking about where you were and where you are now and it'll give a great feeling, I for one know YOU can do it.

take care

Kevin
2005-01-14 9:31 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
I started out doing walk/run intervals too.  Now I'm running the full time and I've found that for every few bad runs, I'll have a really great run.  And I don't mean, "Gee, this doesn't hurt too bad," kinda run but, "OMG, I'm flying!" kinda run.  Sometimes you don't want to run, sometimes your lungs don't want to run, sometimes your legs don't want to run, but sometimes, every part of you wants to run and when it happens, it's very special. :-)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running sux redux...... Rss Feed