DQ
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 35s
Overall Rank = 29/195
Age Group = 25-29 Male
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Had to get up at 3:45am to head to Belleplain. Got up, had a gatorade and PB toast and left. It took about an hour and a half to get there. Picked my packet up and set up transition area. Needed to make a few trips back and forth to the jeep but nothing out of the ordinary. Ate an uncrustable and had some more gatorade. My friend Taylor showed up a bit later and after she was set up in transiton we went over to check out the lake and I gave her some insight about the course. I was still pretty sick from the day before where I developed a stomach bug. I wan't able to eat much food and what I did
Event warmup:

Just a short 1 mile run to loosen up right before it was time to put the wetsuits on. There wasn't much time to get a swim in so I just got in the water to get wet and got out for the pre race meeting.
Swim
  • 07m 28s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Even though the time is sub par, it was a good swim for me. I didn't freak out at the start of the race which I normally do. I started the second tier back and waited about 5 seconds after the gun went off. I quickly found an open line inbetween the people in front of me who couldn't swim really well and just took it. I didnt find anyone to draft until we rounded the 3rd corner which only left about 100 yards to go so drafting is something I will need to work on.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe just suck it up and start up front and just keep working on my swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

T1 went ok, it seemed like forever to put my shoes on. At some point this season (most likely towards the end) I will start practicing the flying mount.

Not much
Bike
  • 38m 52s
  • 15.2 miles
  • 23.46 mile/hr
Comments:

I headed out of transiton on a mission. Before this race I decided since it was flat and fast for both the bike and run, I wnated to hammer both and see what I really had in me. Because of the stomach bug I acquired the day before, as soon as I got on the bike I knew I was in trouble. About 2 miles into it and a mile outside the park my uncrustable and gatorade decided it didn't want to be in my stomach anymore. I puked but kept riding. I didn't feel like it was killing me so I just kept going hard. I passed a ton of riders that were in my age group and started picking of people who were in the 1st wave. After about 10 miles I started to fade and felt pretty dehydrated. I kept taking in water and finally around mile 11 or 12 all of that came up as well. Although my bike was fast I knew I was going to be in for a world of trouble on the run. I was still happy to pull off the 14th fastest bike split.

Not get sick
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

took down some water and a gu. Pretty good transiton although I knew the run was going to be difficult for me.

Nothing.
Run
  • 21m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Complete melt down! I left transition and comfortably made it about a 1/2 mile and then I started to fade FAST! I knew I was dehydrated and just hoped I could hold on to finish without walking. After the 1st mile I had to stop on the side of the course and throw up the water and gu. I walked for about 30 seconds and started running at my slow pace again. I was passed by two runners who tried to give me some encouragement. At the turn around loop I noticed there were some people who made ground up on me and I decided to just go for broke and try to make it at a faster pace. I started to actually feel better when I picked the pace up. Was passed by one more guy who was a guy from the 1st wave who I passed on the bike. I knew I had three minutes on him so I decided it wasn't worth trying to stick with, there was only a 1/4 mile left. My goal pace was between a 6:15 and 6:20 mile. Considering the circumstances, I will take the 7:01 minute miles (although they felt like 10 minute miles)!

again, not be sick.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish with my goal time, just not with my goal splits. My swim was slow, my bike was extremely fast, and my run was a melt down. I walked to transition to get a water bottle. Drank the water and walked around. Went to the finish line after that to wait for Taylor to finish off her race. After she finished we went to the post race food area and I got an orange to try to settle my stomach. I dry heaved a bit but didn't throw up again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just being sick.

Event comments:

Despite me being sick, I managed to finish 3rd in my age group and was a minute and a half from 2nd and four minutes from 1st. It gives me something to work on for next year and it's a good way to guage my progress every year. I bettered my time by over seven minutes this year compared to last which is a pretty good accomplishment for a short sprint race. I am thinking next year I will be able to give 1st or 2nd in my AG a good shot. I ended up 29th overall which is also really well. The field was pretty experienced and I felt like I could hang with the big boys. Again, between my better training and eating habits, the amazing work my coach has done for me (elitetriathlontraining.com) and the support from friends and family, I am starting to get a lot better. My friend Taylor did amazing as well with a 1:18:13 time, good enough for 1st in her age group and 76 overall! She is doing great in her first triathlon season and her first two races she has finished 2nd and 1st in her age group. I see her going really far in this sport!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-12-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:28 | 440 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 64/195
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix Long John
Course: Rectangular shape course in a clockwise direction.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:38
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:52 | 15.2 miles | 23.46 mile/hr
Overall: 14/195
Wind: Little
Course: A very flat fast course that leaves the park and takes you out on some country road. Some sections had a bit of headwind. Coming back into the park there was approximately 1/2 mile of road that was in poor condition, but nothing too terrible.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:45 | 03.11 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Overall: 58/195
Performance: Below average
Course: An out and back course that took you thru the forrest. One aid station at approximately 1.5 miles. Very flat.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 7:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: Belleplaine Sprint Tri

2008-06-09 8:42 AM
in reply to: #1453302

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Belleplaine Sprint Tri

Dude nice race, That is a really sick bike split but it looks like on your photo's you did the ride with your swim googles on 8-)

Good run too considering the dry heaving. Your Swim sucks but you already know that. Start swimming man otherwise you are going to give me a 5-7 minute headstart at Rhode Island.

AJ - you are making huge progress this season well done my friend....

2008-06-09 9:26 AM
in reply to: #1453302

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Belleplaine Sprint Tri

Wow!  Way to get through that race while fighting the stomach bug.  You still posted a sweet bike split depite your issues. 

Hopefully you won't be having to deal with any of that again at Philly. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Belleplaine Sprint Tri Rss Feed