Set-Up, LLC
HOTF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 31s
Overall Rank = 171/193
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Coughed all night, due to lingering sinus stuff..not fun! Got up early, had toast and pnb at home a banana and some water on the way. Drove with my new best friend, GPS, to the race.
Event warmup:

Checked in, walked the swim exit/transition/did a tour of the port-a-pottie facilities. The water felt cool and great....overheard talk of jellyfish, but just blew it off as a bunch of hooey.
Swim
  • 13m 36s
  • 711 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the only swim I had ever had a little freakout about. I hadn't raced a tri in a year, and was toooo nervous once the wave went off. I went out hard to the first buoy and actually caught some feet for my first draft...after rounding the first buoy, I had to make myself settle down. After 2-3 minutes I found my pace and just swam a hard race pace.
What would you do differently?:

Practice swimming harder more often. Practice intensity rather than duration, I'm not swimmin the English Channel!
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

I continue to be the queen of transitions. This was my highest rank for the race....T1! I attribute it to hurrying kids out the door everyday. Backpacks! Shoes! GOGOGOGO!
Bike
  • 40m 13s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.90 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the maiden voyage for me on my new bike. This was my secondtime using aero bars and my first time using those little shifters that come out of the aerobars. The bike fits me so well, it makes a huge difference to have a bike the right size. I felt efficient and comfortable. I was just a little skiddish going down hills and on bumpy roads...I just need to get off my trainer and ride more real rides.

This was my strongest leg, aside from transitions. :)

Not be scared of going downhill.
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

I was fast here, but would have been faster if I had skipped the socks. But it was so hot and sweaty, I knew I'd be sloshing around if I didn't put on the socks.
Run
  • 40m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I have nothing to say. It was a hundred degrees and I felt sucky.

I am tired of sucky...so after my initial weight loss in February of 22lbs, I am ready to lose the next 20. I am sick of people feeling sorry for my slow ass on the run course. I am sick of finishing my run and seeing people loading their bikes and leaving the race. If I could have run 10 minute miles (which I know I have in me) I would have placed Athena. I am ready to be more competitive. Dang it.
Post race
Warm down:

Found liquids and found my family (Doug and all FOUR kids) :). Tried to cool down and sat in the shade with the kids for a bit.

Event comments:

It was great to see Sue and meet some new Bt'ers. It was awesome to see Doug and our kids out there. My kids had never been to any of my races, so that meant a lot. Bottom line is my good swim and bike in contrast to my sucky run just motivates me more to be a better runner. I know I can do it...it's in there. I will just focus and concentrate on that now. With a lot of my big life stuff behind me and great stuff happening right now, I can find that focus again.

Last updated: 2008-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:36 | 711 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 149/193
Performance: Good
Suit: idontneednostinkinwetsuit
Course: Out to the yellow buoy, on the outside of three orange buoys, turn back in at the yellow. Pretty easy.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:46
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:13 | 12 miles | 17.90 mile/hr
Overall: 140/193
Wind: None
Course: Out and back...rolling hills...beautiful bike course.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:13 | 03.11 miles | 12m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 182/193
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back and HOT.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Savannah,
Subject: Yorktown Sprint

2008-06-09 8:23 AM
in reply to: #1453403

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Yorktown Sprint
Great race Shannon!! You looked awesome on the bike! The run was just too dang hot.
2008-06-09 8:52 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Great job!  The run was HOT - nothing more to it.  With some speedwork and training sessions with a faster runner, 10 minute miles are in you.
2008-06-10 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Great race Shannon! The heat sounded brutal but you did a superb job. I also like the angry sound of the run challenge you threw down for yourself. Go get 'em!
2008-06-11 7:10 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Shannon, great race. It was really great to meet you before the swim. The heat was brutal!
2008-06-11 2:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Great race and YES IT WAS HOT. That is cool you kids got to come to the race and watch. It was also nice to meet you. Again great race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Yorktown Sprint Rss Feed