Grand Prairie, Texas
United States
Ironhead Race Productions
Total Time = 51m 54s
Overall Rank = 14/274
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/37
Pre-race routine:

Bagel w/ peanut butter and honey, coffee, water and gatorade. Banana on way to race and a GU 15 mins before the swim.
Event warmup:

We had the kids with us for the first time ever so we hung with them a little and tried to give Greg instructions on everything as this was his first race.
Swim
  • 07m 15s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Choppiest water I have swam in due to the wind. Most people I have ever seen hugging buoys and kayaks due to the chop. This was crazy the whole way as I was in the third wave and there were people everywhere unsure of how to make it around the course. I didn't find a way to draft and thought several times how I was glad this wasn't a year ago as I would have been in trouble and I was wondering how Greg was doing. Having these conditions for his first race could either drive him away or make him stronger.
What would you do differently?:

I semi stopped to sight a few times and should have just kept going forward. I'm not sure about the blue tinted goggles as they seem to make it harder to see buoys etc. I may go back to the clear so I can sight easier. As soon as I do I'll be staring right into the sun no doubt
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Nothing special here. 3rd in my age group and the 2 quicker guys finished ahead of me so I can always shave time here

I think I run too slow out of the water as I'm always feeling out of breath. Otherwise, I feel like I'm moving fairly quickly
Bike
  • 27m 42s
  • 11 miles
  • 23.83 mile/hr
Comments:

I found Greg a couple miles in and was happy to see that he was not only out of the water but must have had a great swim! I was very relieved! Plus he was riding my road bike and hadn't crashed it or anything so that was cool : ) I pushed pretty hard on the bike the whole way and was happy with the result. I got passed while putting my feet in my shoes and then caught the guy and hung with him a little until he slowed up and I passed him. I got passed by a different guy while taking a drink after the turnaround. Dude was flying and I couldn't catch him. Interested to see what this could have been with no wind.

I need an aero bottle as I got passed trying to get a drink and that ticks me off. I only drank once and I felt it coming out of T2. If this was a longer race I woulda needed more fluids
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

My rack was all the way at the Run Out end of T2 so I ran with my bike thru transition after my best dismount to date. Very happy with this despite being 5th in my age group

nothing
Run
  • 15m 3s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt horrible for the 1st half mile like no other race. Logical I guess as I was coming off my fastest bike leg but this was HARD! Just when I got into rhythmn the 2 miles was up but I wasn't complaining. I didn't get passed on the run but I just couldn't get it going any faster. I saw Greg after about a mile and a half and he told me to get my head up. More good advice but this coming from a guy still taking some chemo and doing his first Tri! When he's full strenght I may be in trouble...

Clearly I can make improvements here if I expect to move up the ladder
Post race
Warm down:

Went and told Murphy not to yell at me anymore to pick it up on the run! Even though he was right I just couldn't get moving at first. Cheered on Jenny,Greg and Peter as they came in and played with the kids. Jen (jah2212) was a true champ for watching them for us and it was great to hi 5 the kids during the race. Thanks JJ!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run fitness. This is currently under constuction and it will get stronger!

Event comments:

It's too bad the city of Grand Prairie limited Jack in keeping this race in the park. Last year (and probably in years past) each segment was longer and it was a great Sprint. Otherwise, it was a great time and very cool to watch Greg complete his first Tri. Congrats beathogans!! You have conquered Cancer and your first Sprint. Lots more to do! Thanks to Jen and the Murphys for cheering everyone on. Especially since it was nowhere near Frisco and very early to have the kids all out there. Also, big thanks to Peter and Laura Dewey for racing and supporting Greg as he took on this challenge. Having all of you guys around made it very special for him. Peter even got some hardware!! Last but certainly not least, Congrats to my fast wife who tok first in F35-39!! Wow! Way to go J!!

Last updated: 2008-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:15 | 437 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/37
Overall: 37/274
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: triangle with the majority of the swim parallel to the shore
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:11
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:27:42 | 11 miles | 23.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/37
Overall: 11/274
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: out and back on the dam
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:15:03 | 02 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/37
Overall: 45/274
Performance: Average
Course: winding out and back in the park - mostly very flat
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Metroplex Sprint Triathlon

2008-06-09 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1453643

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Metroplex Sprint Triathlon

Great race.  Smoking bike split.  You are in one tough AG.  It's pretty sick when a 51 min time is only 5th.  Great job.

TJ

2008-06-09 2:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
awesome job. i agree with tommy...you have a tough ag! you're a rockstar though. great, great work todd-o!!!
2008-06-13 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
That new bike must have a bigger motor. Almost 24mph is pretty awesome. Great job overall.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Metroplex Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed