90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 27s
Overall Rank = 91/225
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/13
Pre-race routine:

Overall winner was in my age group so I got 3rd in the age group awards

Up at 4.30am to stuff some breakfast down, prise my eyes open and get over to ridgelake's by 5am.
Easy drive down, arrived in plenty of time to register etc - had a banana and 30min prior to start a gu (choc mint - yum!)
Event warmup:

Got in and swam around for 5mins. Water was lovely. Thank goodness for the heatwave warming it up a bit. Didn't like the squishy mud just off shore so made sure I stood on the pebbles nearer the land
My watch decided to break and I found my spare timing chip ankle thingy dangling off my wetsuit to I hid them both under a step by the jetty.
Swim
  • 27m 31s
  • 1509 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

My buoy rounding was perfect on the line - so close I actually hit the rope of couple of them. Only put average for navigation cos I was a bit zig zaggy on the long triangle side.
First short side I managed to draft a bit but after then was on my own - person I was drafting off sped up and I was just passing some prior waves caps.
Last side of triangle was quite choppy. I love waves so I was hoping that was to my advantage.
I just kept telling myself "long and strong" so felt good
What would you do differently?:

Train more? This was my first OWS of the year and I enjoyed it
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

7/13 ag, 30/50 female
All went quite smoothly. I sat down to put socks on, had a gel and water and was off.
My clipping in on the bike is normally terrible but it started off on a slight downhill that I could coast and clip in so that went well.

run faster to transition area
Bike
  • 1h 20m 37s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I remember thinking when I was out there "This is fun". The first part of the course the road was awful but I just rode the bumps and hoped for the best. I was with a couple of people that we just kept passing each other so that was tough as you have to put a bit of effort into getting by each time.
The long hill was OK and I LOVED the downhill coming back. I don't think I coasted any of it, just pedalled all the way down Wheeeeeeee.

Get a lighter bike? Train more. Push harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

4/13 ag, 23/50 female
Another gel and off I went
Run
  • 58m 2s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh boy this was brutal and is my weakness, running and doubly, running in heat. I just told myself to keep jogging along, one foot in front of the other to the turnaround and then see what I could do on the way back. The answer was nothing! It seemed endless. Every aid station I walked to drink some, put some ice on my head and down my top. By mile 5 I still was just plodding and ended up walking for a couple of times for a minute or so. It was just so hot. Of course I had to jog the last bit but I was never so glad to see a finish line.

Jeez where do I start? This is what slows me down amongst my peers. People pass me in this more than any other part. I really need to work on improving my "easy speed"
Post race
Warm down:

I like to bend over and put my hands on my knees after the finish line to recover. The volunteers didn't like that and I had one pouring water over me and the other making me take sips and asking if I was OK. That was nice. They said at least I was sweating cos a fair few had gone to the clammy stage which of course is getting near danger on the heat exhaustion scale.

I went and sat in the lake for a while and watched the kids race. We had to empty transition for oncoming storm, then went for food and results so there wasn't much "hanging around" time at all. Good to see BT friends and others

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not having done enough training in the heat.

Event comments:

Score this do a great job of organising this. At one point a long queue was forming for body marking so they rustled up another couple of people. Security good in transition (match your number to your bike). Food was in Keuka College cafeteria so was a bit more than the normal spread.
The only thing really against this race is the poor road conditions on the 54A

Last updated: 2007-12-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:31 | 1509 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/225
Performance: Good
3/13 in age group 10/50female
Suit: full
Course: anticlockwise triangle with long part of triangle parallel to shore
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:04
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:20:37 | 24.85 miles | 18.49 mile/hr
2/13 ag, 15/50 female
Wind:
Course: one loop including a fair amount of climbing including one massively long (but not overly steep) hill. First part of roads in very poor shape.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:58:02 | 06.21 miles | 09m 21s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
5/13 ag, 17/50 female
Course: Out and back along by the lake. Pretty flat really although I noticed every slight incline. Not much shade
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: Keuka Lake Triathlon

2008-06-09 1:33 PM
in reply to: #1453946

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Keuka Lake Triathlon

It had to be a brutal day out there Jackie!  Way to go and to get hardware as well! Congratulations on finishing this one!

2008-06-09 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY

Awesome race Jackie!  I wish I could love riding as much as you do.  I look forward to the runs (but maybe not in that heat!

Nice Job!   Smile

2008-06-09 9:05 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Great job, Jackie!

It was a great to drive to the event together.  You did an awesome job hanging on in the run and finishing!

So when is Nationals?

2008-06-09 9:32 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Oh sure, you go riding in a pace line ("I was with a couple of people that we just kept passing each other" and Mike and I get penalties!!! Who's the naughty girl?!!

Way to hang in there Jackie, great finish to a hard day at the races! At least you went by the potty!! 

2008-06-10 8:05 AM

User image

Regular
Horseheads, NY
Nice race in the brutal heat conditions.  Congrats on the hardware as well.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Keuka Lake Triathlon Rss Feed