Multisport Madness Triathlon Club
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m
Overall Rank = 29/524
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/56
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:45 and took a wakeup shower. Drank some Perpetuem and a Diet Pepsi. Pack up the kids and off to Batavia. The usual setup.
Event warmup:

Stretched quite a bit to get the legs and back loose. There was a huge line for the bathrooms. I noticed there were outdoor showers so I peed in the shower while I pretending to take one. :) Excellent. I took a gel before the start.
Swim
  • 5h 51m
  • 437 yards
  • 1h 20m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started out 12th, so I had mostly open water to swim in until the second loop. Then it got a little wild. Nothing like open water stuff though. I felt very strong the whole way. I did get run over by someone who thought a bouy was somewhere else. They climbed over me and then shortcut the bouy. Oh well. I really took it easy running through the sand and getting into and out of the water. I did not want to injure myself.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

I had the hardest time getting clipped into my peddles. So this does not effect my T1 time because I was already out of transition. I got a belt for my number this year and that helped. I was 3 seconds slower than I was last year. This year I decided to put my bike shoes on and run with them to the transition exit. Last year I had my shoes already clipped to the bike and I ran barefoot to the exit and jumped on. 3 seconds, hum.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 40m 36s
  • 14.7 miles
  • 21.72 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed this pretty hard and was passing a lot of people. I knew they would be passing me in the run. So I figured I would have my fun now. The course was really wet and we had to be very careful in the turns. I slid through the finish line, which the officials did not like. I heard that some people wiped out at the finish.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Decent transition for me. 4 seconds slower than last year's T time. I think it is because I had trouble finding my parking spot. I had clipped out and ran with my bike shoes back to the rack. Last year I had run barefoot back to the rack and bruised the heal of my right foot on the asphalt. It had never quite healed up from that.

Nothing.
Run
  • 30m 7s
  • 4.1 miles
  • 07m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

I have not run at all for a month now. So when I started to run, my legs were like WTF?!
I have been trying to recover from Plantars Faciitis for the last month, so I did not know what to expect of the run.
Legs felt terrible coming out of transition. So the first mile was hard. Felt like everyone was passing me. I was very much out of breath the first half of the run. I think it was the humidity. Mile 3 I heard foot steps behind me but they did not pass me. This made me feel better that I might be holding my own. The last mile was not too bad. Since I have run this race twice before, I knew how to pace myself for the distance. Coming over the bridge at the end a woman was dragging a keg on a dolly. She saw me coming and stopped to take my picture. :) I wonder where that is going to end up. Yea baby! What's up?

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Water!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Humidity. Foot injuries.

Event comments:

They pulled the water station at mile 2 this year. Which messed me up. They also got the shirt order screwed up, so I was not able to get a shirt. They had beer, bagels, oranges, bananas, cookies, and pizza at the finish line. Also a live band and a whole bunch of raffles. Including a tri bike raffle. Nice!! This race continues to be a lot of fun for me. I am sure I will be back next year.

I got to meet daveo1101, jniekrasz and jowisc out there. Very cool.

This was my next door neighbor's first triathlon. I saw here at the beginning and she could not figure out how to put her wetsuit on. She looked scared to death. I helped her get it on (the wetsuit) and helped her find the right place in line. Saw her at the end and I think she is hooked. I think I will point her to BT.

Last updated: 2008-01-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
05:51:00 | 437 yards | 1h 20m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/56
Overall: 0/524
Performance: Good
Kept heart rate very much in control.
Suit: Tri Shorts
Course: Two loops around the quary pool with part of it being a foot deep.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:28
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:40:36 | 14.7 miles | 21.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/56
Overall: 19/524
Heart rate was not too high.
Wind: Strong
Course: Loop out of downtown Batavia into some farmland and back. The course was very wet and there was some very slippery conditions.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:07 | 04.1 miles | 07m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/56
Overall: 82/524
Performance: Average
I was out of breath for the first two miles. Then I was able to settle down and run at a comfortable pace.
Course: Very flat loop up and down the Fox river. All shaded.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Subject: Batavia Triathlon

2008-06-09 12:14 PM
in reply to: #1454077

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Subject: RE: Batavia Triathlon
Great race !
2008-06-09 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Great race, and loved the report!  I am so sorry I didn't get to meet you, I forgot I had someone there that was doing the race who was new, so I was showing her the ropes.

Also glad to hear that I was not the only one who slid into the dismount area....what was up with that?

Hopefully we'll get to meet soon!

2008-06-09 1:01 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Great, great race.  A triathlon with beer at the end.  What have I been doing wrong?

Seriously, those are some great times for an injured dude who used to smoke 5 packs of cigarettes a day.   Good stuff!!!

2008-06-09 4:55 PM

User image

Regular
Westchester, IL
Good Job on the run, thats fast.
2008-06-09 6:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Sweet race!!!!  Awesome time ... I'm wicked impressed.  How fast are the legs when they have been running?  Sheesh! 

2008-06-10 5:56 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Great job at the race!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Batavia Triathlon Rss Feed