United States
eliteendeavors.com
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 59m 16s
Overall Rank = 197/417
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 24/45
Pre-race routine:

Well, I'd say my mistakes started around this point. :)

Woke up, didn't think the race was going to happen, but the car was packed and ready, so I decided to head down there. The radar was telling me I was going to pick up an expensive t-shirt.
Event warmup:

Set up trans, set up the tent for BT homebase, chatted with pals and eventually put my wetsuit on. I think I was still in disbelief that this race was going to go. I wasn't mentally prepared to race, and that would show throughout the day. :(

I didn't really warm up, that was a mistake.
Swim
  • 17m 44s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Hmmm. Well, it was more a plain old swim, than it was a race leg. I wasn't into it. The start was rough. Lots of kicking and clawing. Goggles stayed on, but I got beat up a little bit. Certainly the roughest start that I've experienced.

I swam for a couple hundred yards, then I started to get demoralized. I was thinking that I didn't really want to be here right now, that I didn't want to be in this race. The notion of quitting crossed my mind. Seriously, WTH is that about!?!?! At the time, it seemed somewhat logical though. I stopped, yes actually stopped and just looked around for couple seconds, I think I was doing the breaststroke or something. Then I saw and easy draft, and grabbed feet for a little while. I lost my draft at the first bouy, swam to the second, turned the second, and started heading in.

Until this point, I was not swimming well. I was tight and my shoulders felt tired. My suit could have been on tighter, but that's not an excuse that I'm willing to use. With a couple hundred yards to go, I got the urge to stop again. Seriously, WTH is that about? I wasn't so tired that I needed to stop, I was breathing fine. I just WANTED to stop. So I did. I just laid out on my back and looked at how many red caps were behind me, then I looked forward and saw that I was right in the middle of the wave. So, I rolled over and started swimming again.

I swam a lot better from this point on, but overall, this was NOT a race swim. I drafted just for a minute or so, then dropped my draftee when he had navigation issues.
What would you do differently?:

Be ready to go. No mental softness or ambivalence. Be ready to race, or don't race at all. Tighten up the wetsuit shoulders.
Transition 1
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

Long uphill run to the Trans. Jogged the first part, then walked the steepest section. I forgot to start kicking at the end of the swim and I was not ready to be on my feet. The ground in the transition area sucked. Sandy soil, sticks, nuts, etc. Not a good location IMO. Once I passed the mount line, I nearly fell, as I didn't put enough oomph into the first pedal stroke.

Care.
Bike
  • 44m 1s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.08 mile/hr
Comments:

I just couldn't get the legs to go. It was weird. I was moving my legs, but I wasn't able to get them going fast enough or get enough strength out of them. It took at least half way before they woke up and I could get it going. If I would have gone at the initial pace, all the way through, I bet I would have been in the 17's for speed. WTH, again!?!?!

I'm not sure what exactly happened when they woke up, but I was able to push and pick it up. From there, I dropped some folks. Right calf started to cramp. Not horribly, but I could feel it. I didn't really get passed by very many people, but a couple fast women blew by me from the wave after ours. WOW! I shouted out some encouragement as they went by.

Also, near the end, I saw a sign that I thought was the entrance back into the park. I took my left foot out of my shoe, but realized that it wasn't the right place. Instead of putting my foot right back in, I kept pedaling with my foot out. Whatever. This sums up my attitude. (Note for future - Quit being a big wuss!)

Know the course, be ready to race, fix mistakes as soon as I recognize them.
Transition 2
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

Someone stole a sock from me. Not both, just one! I had them in a ziplock bag, rolled and ready, on top of my running shoes. Normally, I wouldn't wear socks, but this was a trail run and it was nasty out there. I wanted to add some protection to my feet.

Whomever did it was a butthead. Not only that, but other people had their socks swiped too!

Not take too long looking for the other sock.
Run
  • 52m 22s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran out of Transition, and I was already getting passed as I hit the trail. Ran for a while, and tried to get back into trail running mode. I haven't done this in a while, and needed to remind myself of some strategies, eyes on the trail in front of you, quick glances for branches, etc. Trix told me that a couple of the hills were walkers. Okay, remember that.

About a mile in, I started getting the chills. That was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for me. I walked all the uphills, and jogged the flats and downs. I was mad at myself during the run, but didn't care enough to do something about it.

Same things as above. Know the course, be ready for the course, come to the event ready to race, etc.
Post race
Warm down:

Came in, grabbed every liquid I could get my hands on. Drank a ton. Then went to cheer on my BT pals. It was great to see them rolling in. I missed a couple of them, dave and robyn. But, I got to see Sushi and Jennifer finish, along with Ryan. Then I just chilled for a while, listened to the awards, then just hung out with BT'ers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My own mental will. I wasn't prepared to race.

Last updated: 2008-01-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:44 | 880 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/45
Overall: 113/417
Performance: Bad
Suit: Xterra Vengeance Full
Course: Two turn loop, very simple layout.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:05
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:44:01 | 14 miles | 19.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/45
Overall: 163/417
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Around the lake. Horrible roads.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:07
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:52:22 | 05 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/45
Overall: 271/417
Performance: Bad
Course: Trail run on the Potowamini (sp?) Trail. Hilly, sandy, lots of turns.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 11:13 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Subject: Ann Arbor Triathlon

2008-06-09 12:39 PM
in reply to: #1454108

User image

Champion
Michigan
Subject: RE: Ann Arbor Triathlon
Dude.  You did seem a bit off.  What's up with that? We needed a GO TEAM at the start, huh?  WELL GIT YER FREAKIN' MOJO BACK, BOY!! please??
2008-06-09 1:08 PM
in reply to: #1454366

User image

Master
Fenton, MI

trixie - 2008-06-09 1:39 PM Dude.  You did seem a bit off.  What's up with that? We needed a GO TEAM at the start, huh?  WELL GIT YER FREAKIN' MOJO BACK, BOY!! please??

Yes ma'am. 

2008-06-09 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1454108

Master

It sounds to me like we need a BT Michigan RAWKS Squad social event...a "stress buster"...something to blow off some steam and have some fun before the next race. 

What do you think?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ann Arbor Triathlon Rss Feed