United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 49m 3s
Overall Rank = 3/418
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/22
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30 to get to transition at 6:30, then race start is at 7:30. Had some water and toast for breakfast.
Event warmup:

Planned to get ~30min ride in before I headed over to the race, then setup transition and get marked, then run, then make my way to the pool. Got downstairs and looked out the window and to my surprise it was 15-20mph winds and raining! Got kinda down about that. Took some extra time to gather rain and cold weather gear, but by that time I had to leave to transition. My bike warmup consisted of the ride over to the race. Got a good run warmup in (a few miles with time at race pace), and a good swim warmup. Felt good on both the run and swim.
Swim
  • 04m 7s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

4 of us in lane 1. Started behind a girl that said she’d do 4min flat, very steady pace. I tried to convince swim coach Chad to go in front of me so I could be 3rd but he wouldn’t because he said he was shooting for ~4:20 or 4:30. Todd didn’t belong in our wave so he went last. At Chad’s suggestion, I started just a few seconds behind the girl instead of waiting for the whistle. We were gelling the entire swim: good pace and good spacing. At 150yrds I saw the lock @ 1:57, so fell off pace a bit. Got out of the water at 4:07 (making the swim time ~4:04 or 4:05). Swim leg felt great.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Felt good and efficient going through this transition. Didn’t have much to do because of the race distance and luckily it warmed up so I didn’t have to put on any clothes. Glasses & helmet on, grab bike, and run. Ryan (who I was banking to be my competition) had racked just beside me and showed up at his bike just after me.

Backing into my times I calculate over 1.5min for this transition. It felt like a 1 min transition to me and I don’t think it could have gone much better.
Bike
  • 31m 21s
  • 11 miles
  • 21.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Got a good jump on my bike coming out of t1, right next to Ryan. Lamar is a nice downgrade so the extra momentum helps for getting feet in the shoes. But I fumbled this up pretty good. I just couldn’t get the feet to get into the shoes. Tried multiple times and lost momentum twice. Finally was able to get them in after opening them back up with my hands. Strangely I wasn’t passed during any of this, but by the time we took the turn onto Main Ryan opened up a pretty good gap (~150yrds or so). I hammered up Main and felt like I closed on him a bit. 136th and Sheridan were discouraging because of the strong headwinds (and these were supposed to be the fast downhills).
Focused on efficiency and hammering, not letting Ryan open any more up. We passed a relay guy on the back of the 1st lap and I took someone else at the close of the 1st lap. After that, I was pretty sure Ryan and I were 1 and 2 on the course. Going up Main the second time a car was trying to pull into a parking lot and stopped, because of large bump I guess. This was right in front of me and I was doing over 20mph at the time. I thought he’d move but he didn’t and I ended up locking my tire and skidding (nothing like shaving down a piece of a brand new $100 tubular). Man did I give him and earfull - I don’t know what he was thinking. I asked the two officers at the next intersection to watch that lot. OK. Brief distraction and good loss of momentum - let's get back into the race.
Finishing the climb up main I calculated Ryan ~30s ahead of me. I knew it would be very remote that I’d be able to close on him on the run so I pushed a more but never did put much into the gap.

Need to be more efficient coming out of t1. The uphill section at the 5430 Sprint won’t be as forgiving as the course.
Transition 2
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

Nearly perfect. Didn’t see Ryan at all in t2 but his front tire was spinning pretty good when I got to the rack. I had trouble putting on my right shoe since it was damp and numb. Ended up having to sit down briefly to get it on. Had to reach back up to grab my garmin from my bike, then was off.

Very good transition. The shoe and garmin cost me a few seconds. Definitely could shave a few seconds here.
Run
  • 11m 26s
  • 2 miles
  • 05m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Didn’t feel great coming out of t2, but didn’t feel lousy either. Focusing on fast turnover and efficient form. Wanted to get the legs under me by ~1/2mi then start pushing the pace. I could see Ryan about 200yds ahead of me. Pushed it a bit going out and had to regroup after the turn coming up the road, but then started to focus on closing out the run.
Paul was on the mtb riding the course with me. he took a few pics and they all look like I'm in a lot of pain. I tried to talk to him a few times, but my throat was very dry and couldn't.
Fell off the leader the last half of the run and pretty much maintained pace until the very end. Uneventful.

More mental toughness. I didn’t shut it down, but I didn’t give it all in the last half of the run either.
Post race
Warm down:

a lot of socializing. Good chatting with Richard and a lot of people from Masters.

Event comments:

All that chasing Ryan was fun and a motivator, but we ended up getting chanced down from behind by Dime! Naturally, in retrospect, I regret helping Dime get into the race at the last minute. I honestly thought the course was short enough that he wouldn’t be able to bridge the swim times. He did it in style and crushed us! Not even close, showing his superiority!

Last updated: 2008-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:07 | 300 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/418
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:37
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:31:21 | 11 miles | 21.05 mile/hr
Performance: Good
1st lap in ~15:36. ave HR says 175, the first lap the readings were pretty erratic. The data looks good on the second lap (high z4 with some time above that). No cadence data (didn’t take the time to rescan).
Wind: Strong
Course: Two loops. I’m showing ~11.5mi, consistent with last year. Steady climb peaking at 2.5mi then steady downhill.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:11:26 | 02 miles | 05m 43s  min/mile
Performance: Average
175 ave bpm, 183 max. hr in z3 coming out of t2 and jumped into z4 ~.5mi.
Course: Fast loop. They changed the finish on me. Course is showing ~1.82mi.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 11:47 AM

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: Mini HaHa

2008-06-09 11:53 AM
in reply to: #1454211

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Mini HaHa
Nice race Jason!  and LOL, I wondered if you'd regret helping Dime get in to the race!
2008-06-09 11:56 AM
in reply to: #1454228

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Awesome job on the overall and AG placings!!  I'd love the swim pace you got even if it is a shorter race!  And that bike and especially the run were smokin'!!
2008-06-09 2:14 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Awesome job there!  Sounds like you had some obstacles on the bike too.  At least you didn't dent the rear end of that car.

2008-06-09 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Awe shucks! Thanks for the mention!!

Hey, that was a lot of fun. I wish I could have been in your wave, but it was a great opportunity to learn to focus without having anyone to key on.

You had an awesome race... Ryan looked tough as nails out there and you gave him a serious run for his money!
2008-06-09 7:32 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Congrats on a great race; solid start to the tri season

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mini HaHa Rss Feed