General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Managing Heat: How to get rid of headache? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-06-10 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1455169

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: RE: Managing Heat: How to get rid of headache?

Oh, word up. I guess I should have phrased my initial question better -- I'm looking more for theories about WHY I get headaches during excersize in the heat, and what, if anything, I can do nurtrionally to correct whatever went wrong in the first place. If it's lack of salt causes headache, then I'd like to know that so taking salt can correct it... and avoid it.

I'm starting to think I need to pay a lot more attention to pre-race hydration and electrolite consumption, especially on hot days. I'd really like to avoid getting the headaches, but would also like to know that if one comes in, I have a strategy to manage it. (Or, I guess I could just accept that this is like IT Band pain -- once it's there, it's too late).

Thanks for all the input folks!

BrianPBN - 2008-06-09 5:39 PM I think many of these posts are addressing the symptom and not the problem. If an athlete had the following question: I ride on roads that have a lot of nails and always get flats. I don't know how to change a flat, so I walk home. What should I do? Most of the posts above are answering this question by saying: Carry a CO2 and and learn how to change a flat My response would be to stop driving down the roads w/ the nails so you don't get a flat in the 1st place ;o) By taking Advil or any other NSAID, aspirin, etc... you're getting rid of the headache but not solving the reason you got the headache in the 1st place. If you were getting a blister we could address how to get rid of the blister, but I'd suggest trying to figure out what's up w/ your shoes in the 1st place so you don't get a blister next time and have to keep dealing w/ it. Moderate or severe headaches are one of the primary signs of dehydration and in extreme cases heat exhaustion - which has a cause. Electrolyte and fluid intake starting the day/evening before a race or long workout right through the workout are the keys to minimizing this. Try to address the problem instead of putting a bandaid on it after the fact as there's a reason you're getting a headache in the 1st place.

2008-06-10 9:10 AM
in reply to: #1456355

User image

Champion

squishybelly - 2008-06-10 8:30 AM Derek, Thanks for the post - just so you realize, I was writing my second post at the same time you put yours up, so I wasn't trying to contradict you. I did read the article you'd listed, and it will certainly make me pay more attention to hydration in the heat. At the same time though, the article reffered to some pretty big numbers for their tests (600-1200mg) of ibuprofen. When I was referring to advil, I should maybe have been a little more clear in mentioning that I would typcially take a smaller dose of 200mg. That said, if I have dehydrated i have no option but to take larger does after training. If you have suggestions for post exercise headaches, I would love to hear them as I'd prefer to avoid popping a pill. Thanks

No problem.  Just wanted to get the info out there.

Truthfully it's probably not a dose related response.  The actual harmful mechanism in the kidney occurs at low doses as well.

Not sure what the answer is other than being on top of hydration, but I do know that NSAID's are a bad idea.

2008-06-10 11:18 AM
in reply to: #1455169

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Electrolyte and fluid intake starting the day/evening before a race or long workout right through the workout are the keys to minimizing this.

IMO, this is the key. If you start an exercise session just slightly dehydrated, you can't catch up no matter how much you drink. You want to enter the session very hydrated, or better yet, stay very hydrated all the time.

Keep in mind there's a significant delay after the time fluid enters your body through your mouth and then does much signficant rehydrating especially in its effect on your sinuses which is where most dehydration headaches occur.

Edited by breckview 2008-06-10 11:24 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Managing Heat: How to get rid of headache? Rss Feed  

of 2