Columbia Triathlon Association
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 42m 43s
Overall Rank = 62/1300
Age Group = 30-34M
Age Group Rank = 11/125
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am. Ate my usual cereal and yogurt and made coffee. Quickly packed up the rest of my stuff and threw it in the car. Got the family together and headed to Cambridge from our hotel in St. Michaels with the Dicocco's. Got to transition at 5:30 and sipped gatorade until my swim start. Felt ready for my first HIM.
Event warmup:

I swam a couple hundred yards before my swim wave started. That's about it.
Swim
  • 33m 29s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was relatively uneventful. The water was very calm. I managed to stay out of trouble most of the time. I didn't get kicked and bumped much which was surprising. The water temperature was just about perfect. I felt pretty good most of the way. I'm not a very good swimmer but I've put in alot of time in the pool lately. As a result, I came out of the water feeling fresh. My time is about what I expected. Looks like the times are a bit slower than last year overall. The current may not have been as favorable.
What would you do differently?:

Not much really. I probably could have gone a little harder but I doubt I would have gained much time. I came out with a decent time and felt fresh.
Transition 1
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

I made it a point to take me time in transition. With the heat so bad, I wanted to make sure I got some fluids. I didn't want to rush things and make a mistake. The wetsuit came off easy. Helmet on. Quick drink. Nothing really to report.

Nothing really. Maybe move a little quicker if the weather was cooler.
Bike
  • 2h 24m 7s
  • 56 miles
  • 23.31 mile/hr
Comments:

I started off the bike feeling very strong and very comfortable. I didn't have the usual sea sick feeling I get after triathlon swims. All the swimming this year seems to have paid off. I started cranking away and was leap frogging with another 1-2 guys within the first 3-4 miles. I passed by buddy James at the 5 mile mark and asked him how far ahead Dave was. He had no idea. I figured he was well up the road. The 1-2 guys soon became 3-4 guys leap frogging. We really were trying to keep things legit. This went on for until the 20 mile mark. I passed my buddy Dave around this point and we had a quick chat about the swim. He told me to go and I took off. At this point our group of 4-5 passed a group of around 10-12. They quickly latched on and I was suddenly in a pack of about 20 bikers. Around the 25 mile mark I really noticed that there were some major drafters in this pack. I really started getting concerned about penalties. I honestly did my best to be legal. By the 30 mile mark, we were a 30-40 rider pack and picking up more as we went along. Several times I tried to pull away from the pack as did a handful of other guys. I even got as much as 200 yards on them at some points but eventually somebody else would accelerate and bring the pack back up to me and I would get swallowed up. And let me tell you...once you got swallowed up there was nothing you could do. The only way to stay legal at that point would have been to slow down considerably and let them go up the road. The problem was that they really weren't going that fast most of the time. There were only 3-4 riders willing drive the pack and we were getting ver frustrated with the whole thing. I'd say there were 4-5 people from this pack that were really trying to play by the rules..another haldful who were mildly trying to be fair and a large number who could have cared less about the drafting rule. Once you were in the middle of the pack, it was like being in a leisurely Sunday ride. I could have stayed in that pack with a 3 speed huffy. I really tried my best to stay legal but I really wasn't sure what to do. I spent a good portion of the bike leading a 30 person pack and it was frustrating. I pulled away near the end to avoid the mass bike dismounting. I may be naive in saying this...but I think the only advantage I had was that I didn't have to slow down while eating a drinking. As soon as I eased up to eat/drink, I was swallowed by the pack and pulled along until they cleared me. By that time, i was done eating and moved back up to the front. I'm not sure if this would be legal or not. Another thing, the pack was 3 riders wide at some points. When I was passing after eating, I had to cross the yellow line several times which I'm sure would be a penalty. I'm not sure what else I could have done. I saw one race official all day and he sped past without even looking.

Despite the drafting pack, I was very happy with my bike. I felt strong the whole way. I really put in some major bike time this year and I think it paid off. I did not feel overly fatigued at the start of the run. It actually felt good to be able to work in the front of a pack like that even though they were cheating their asses off. It's a super fast course with no hills and I don't get to experience that much living in PA. I think I only used 2-3 gears the entire ride.

For food, I had two bottles of accelerade and a gel with water every 20 minutes or so. That seemed to work out pretty well. I drank when I was thirsty...which was often. I also took in about 6-7 salt stick caps. Probably overkill.

I really don't know. Does anybody have an idea about what I could have done to get away from that pack? I honestly think bike times are more legit with smaller events.
Transition 2
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

I really took my time in T2. I knew the run was going to be brutal. I got to my rack spot quickly and took off the helmet. I put on running socks which I usually don't use. I also left the speed laces at home. So I spent some extra time putting on socks and tying my shoes. I also grabbed a quick drink of cold gatorade, grabbed my running bottle and put some ice down my shirt and in my hat. I bought a small cooler and put some ice in it for T1 and T2. That worked out well.

In cooler conditions, I wouldn't have worried about the ice and drinking in T2. I may have also used speed laces.
Run
  • 1h 39m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off the run feeling just OK. My legs were pretty heavy from the bike. Around the 2 mile mark, I started to feel much better and increased the pace a little. I made sure to grab a drink (usually gatorade) and ice at every aid station. The ice when in my hat or down my shirt. Sometimes I even dumped some ice water on my head before the ice. This worked out pretty well to keep cool "most" of the run. I was really feeling good from the 2 mile mark to about the 8-9 mile mark. I crossed the halfway point at about 46 min and felt good enough to think I could do the same on the second half. I honestly thought I was going to crank out a 1:32ish run and hit 4:33-4:35 for my first HIM. BOY WAS I WRONG!!! I passed by buddy Dave between the 7-8 mile mark and yelled at him. I still felt really good. Around the 8.5 mile mark I noticed the first signs of the heat. How quickly things turn temperatures like this. By mile 9, I felt cooked. My body overheating and just did not want to run any more. I did everything I could do recover. Ice in the hat... down the shirt... down the pants... water over the head. I even took a gel. Nothing worked and it just got worse and worse from mile 9 to the finish. I walked the last few aid stations and did everything I could to stay cool. Mile 9 to the end was absolute torture. The hardest 4 miles I've ever had to run. I'd say my pace was about 7:10ish between miles 2-8. The last 4 miles were probably closer to 8:30 or more. I was not passed on the run until mile 9. After that, I think 3-4 guys passed me....I think 2 from my age group. At that point, I could have cared less. I just wanted the run to be over. I was so happy to cross the line. I had to sit down right away and got gallons of cold water dumped on my head. It took me a good 20 minutes to be able to walk without getting dizzy.

I don't know if there is anything I could have done. I don't think starting off slower would have helped.....maybe. Just too hot for my 6'3" - 175lb frame to handle. I've never done well in the heat and I actually kept it together longer than I thought I would.
Post race
Warm down:

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Gallons of ice water over my head.

Sue, my wonderful wife, came over to make sure I was OK. It took me a good 10 minutes to get my head clear. I had tunnel vision and was really out of it. I could tell she was concerned and did my best to make her feel like I was OK. She has been more supportive than I could ever have hoped for. I love you!!!! Gave the kids hugs and kisses. Cooled off and ate some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat! I think I had a chance to crack 4:30 on my first HIM in ideal temperatures.

Last updated: 2007-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:29 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 48/125
Overall: 289/1300
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Zoot Z2
Course: Out and back course with two turns.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:47
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:24:07 | 56 miles | 23.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/125
Overall: 60/1300
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The course is a big loop through the flats of the eastern shore. Completely flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:26
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:39:55 | 13.1 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/125
Overall: 64/1300
Course: Out and back run course. Completely flat with no shade. Aid stations every mile or so.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 12:46 PM

User image

Regular
Gettysburg, PA
Subject: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

2008-06-09 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1454391

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

Really solid race!

Sucks about the drafting you got stuck with.  And yes, they were handing out penalties for crossing the yellow line.  I got nailed with one as I tried to pass someone who then decided to pass someone else and to avoid getting bumped I had to cross the line for a few inches briefly.

But luckily I did not get caught in any pack.  I came up on one of about 6 - 8 guys but I got passed them and only one person tried to stay with me and when I did my stop and go for the yellow card he had to go solo, so lost it ..... I blew by hm a few miles later and didn't give him the chance to latch on again.

Great result for you!!  And on a very tough day!

2008-06-09 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Bowie, MD
Nice job Stud Muffin!!!!

Great results on a brutal day.

Once the wheels start coming off on a run i haven't found anything that helps put them back on. It just becomes survival
2008-06-09 5:55 PM

User image

Expert
Great race. On spot behind me. A very tough day...way to stick it out. I hear you about guys in my age group passing us. I was 2nd off the bike and watched 9 guys run by me. On in the last 100 yards. I tried to get him but ran out of ground.

Again, great race!
2008-06-09 7:47 PM

Pro
yep,
great job on the race.  Good job on pushing through the pain and geetting to the end.
2008-06-10 6:59 AM

Sykesville, MD
I don't think there's nothing else you could have done on that ride. And pushing through that run took as much mental stamina as physical. Once again, great race!

2008-06-13 1:20 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
You put together an amazing race for your first HIM.  Congratulations.  I'm impressed with that run time.  The good news is, it gets easier from here. Super effort!
2008-06-13 3:14 PM

User image

Regular
Atlanta, GA
Unbelievable performance for your first half. Those conditions made the run very similar to an IM run, and you responded incredibly well. Sub-4:30 will never be an issue for you. As for the bike, your internal struggle with it is genuine and I truly believe there's often very little you can do in situations like that - except come out of the water 5 min faster

Good luck with the rest of your season!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed