Multisport Madness Triathlon Club
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 32s
Overall Rank = 324/517
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 16/35
Pre-race routine:

Ate my banana on the way to the course, and had some gatorade.
Got to parking lot...checked tires one last time.
Set up transition area, not really happy with how far away I am from the area where you come in from the swim and where you bike out.

Had 1/2 a power bar and more gatorade before swim.
Swim
  • 07m 58s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I should have dolphin dived the shallow area as that is what I was taught, but I unfortunately didn't and I think it cost me.

I had been kicked and feet pulled and hit in the head that I just wanted to stand up and try to regain my composure.
What would you do differently?:

Since the swim area itself is a little on the small side, I think if I got a little further on the right, and swam away from people, that this would help. I was really getting knocked around in there today which has a tendancy to make me get a little panicky.
Transition 1
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

My transition time is long due to my crappy placement in transition...I was in the second to last rack, and almost all the way in on my rack.

I think I had a slight issue getting my socks and bike shoes on, but it wasn't anything too terrible. I think that will just get easier as my race season goes on.

Nothing...better placement in transition hopefully.

Bike
  • 48m 46s
  • 14.7 miles
  • 18.09 mile/hr
Comments:

I was really feeling like I might get sick as we were heading back into town. I don't think I drank that much but so I am not sure if it was a combo of that and being down in my aero bars too long.

Also, being down in aero for so long trying to dodge some of those winds, I think may have caused my stomach to cramp, which of course, led my side to get irritated.

I cannot lie...I was extremely dissapointed to see that according to the official results, that I wasn't averaging somewhere in the 18-19 mph range. I felt like I was going a lot stronger on the bike, so to see this, is really upsetting.

I think I either need to not be down in aero for too long, or while I am down there, I need to stretch out more, so my stomach is not so confined which leads to cramps.

I felt my side cramping while still on the bike, so I thought inevidably, it would be cramped on the run.

Going to have to spend more TITS I guess and hope that time riding helps.

Also going to have Ironman Brad check to make sure my seat and everything is aligned right...I am happy that I found a nice fancy bike at Mission Bay, but I don't think they fit me on it 100%. I mean the size of the bike is fine, I just think there may be some adjustments that need to be made.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

At the dismount area, I had a bit of a wardroble malfunction.
My skirt got caught on the back of my seat, and caused a bit of an issue...but all in all, really good transition.

I also totally skidded into the dismount area, as the ground was really wet, and you would think the volunteers would have had a sense of humor about it, but they didn't.

Make sure my skirt doesn't get caught.
Run
  • 39m 20s
  • 4.1 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

As you can see, my first mile wasn't too terrible, but then the side pain came on. It wasn't a stabbing pain like I had last year at Naperville, this was more of a lasting, dull pain, until about the 3rd mile, and then it kind of went away.

Again, from my watch, to the official time, there is a difference.
The official time has me at 40:12, which is a 9:49/mile pace.

Continue trying to make this stupid thing go away.

I am going to see if I need to move my aero bars (or my seat) to try to elongate my position so I am not so scrunched up...see if this helps.

Have to keep up with the stretching/exercises and hope that it helps.

This thing is really insane, and has a mind of it's own. I don't know how else to explain it...I don't run/breathe differently on race days then I do on training days, so I don't know how I could ride 15 and run 4 like I did a couple times in the gym without pain, or run home from work 7 miles a couple of times without pain, and then today, bam, comes on after the first mile, and goes away right before the finish???
Post race
Warm down:

Water, water, and oh ya, more water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind, side pain. Have to spend more TITS and unfortunately for me, that means getting up early to get to the lake so you aren't riding with all of the "yahoos" out there that take up the path.

Will continue to go out by Jen in Algonquin to bike and practice hills.

Event comments:

Really enjoyed this race, even though it sounds like I am gripe city with complaints. Will definately do it again.

Last updated: 2008-01-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:58 | 437 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 28/35
Overall: 426/517
Performance: Bad
Suit: L/S Orca Predator
Course: 2 laps in pool...entire back "leg" of it so shallow you could walk.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Shot
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:46 | 14.7 miles | 18.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/35
Overall: 276/517
Performance: Average
My computer time isn't going to be accurate, since I had to walk my bike out of transtion, which was about a 1/4 mile. But I believe when I looked at it before I left, it said my fastest mph was 21.8 and my average was 18.1. According to the official results, they have my bike split as 49:26 which averages out to 17.8 mph, so I don't know what the discrepency is there.
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back loop in pretty open areas in Batavia...really liked the course.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:20 | 04.1 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 377/517
Performance: Bad
Mile splits: 8:52 9:58 10:38 10:32
Course: Out and back loop around the Fox river...lots of trees, so that helped shade from the sun that was out for a short time.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Batavia Triathlon

2008-06-09 1:11 PM
in reply to: #1454408

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Subject: RE: Batavia Triathlon
Nice race!  - hopefully we meet up sometime
2008-06-09 5:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL

Hey, you finished!   It was difficult out there.  The wind was harsh and the humidity sucked it out of you.   Did you train in those conditions?  I think everyone's times were off.  I was watching some of the people coming across the finish line and they looked like hell.

Sorry I didn't get to meet you out there.  Next time!!!!  There is always a next time.

2008-06-11 9:09 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Hey!  You are too hard on yourself.

1.  You didn't do this race last year, so you don't have something to compare it to.

2.  Based on your first triathlon of the year last year, how do you think you did this year?  Like you said, you didn't have the pain as much.  THAT is improvement.  And it was hot.  And humid.  You haven't acclimated to it yet. 

Listen, this is your first race of the year.  Learn from it.  And hit the next one with all you got. 

2008-06-11 11:04 AM

User image

Regular
Oak Park, Il
I think I did see you out there pre race but wasn't sure. The nutrition/cramp thing is tricky and I don't have any suggestions since I struggle with that myself. Good luck trying to figure that out. Got my bike at Mission Bay too and they do ok initially with the set up but I had my coach fit me and he made major changes. You might want to look into it.
2008-06-12 8:47 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Nice race and way to work through the issues you had.

Have fun getting and keeping your T.I.T.S. up.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Batavia Triathlon Rss Feed