Midwest Sports Events
76F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 26m
Overall Rank = 119/384
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 7/18
Pre-race routine:

Tried to eat a sensible dinner the night before and went to bed early. Woke up a dozen or so times, which is normal for me on race day.
Event warmup:

Had the framily with me, so it took a little longer to get to the race than normal. The kids were troopers for getting up that early inthe morning. Made it to the race with about 40 minutes to start. Most of my warm-up was walking to the event itself. I did manage to swim a few strokes in the "lake", but that was about it.
Swim
  • 05m 46s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Where to start? The lake is about 36" deep for a good 60% of the entire swim. It is a man made lake and it is nice, but not really a swim. It was small and the waves, I felt were too big, given the size of area that we were swimming. From watching other waves I knew to stay on the out side and dolphin until I got to deeper water. It was actually funny, I walked a good portion of it, but finally could make a couple of strokes without my fingers dragging the bottom. Was carrying a lot of speed to the turnaround bouy and probably was 2 waves ahead at this point. I had kept an eye on a guy i met before the start. He was fast! Made the turn, navigated through a few more swimmers and finally came to the beach and headed for T1.
What would you do differently?:

I wish it was deeper so i could have actually swam.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Practice, Practice, Practice I tried putting my shoes on in the pedals and turned into a huge disaster. I probably wasted a good minute monkeying around with my shoes. Finally got'em and i was strapped in. Did I mention by this time it was raining?

Got a shout out for being in the Donkai. Pretyty cool to be recognized. I think he said his name was kev81? If your our there, blog me!

See above. Either practice, or forget it.
Bike
  • 47m 18s
  • 16.5 miles
  • 20.93 mile/hr
Comments:

First, it was raining like crazy. However, I still rode to a PR for mph in a sprint. All I can say is that you can buy speed. Jenna handled great. It was really my first experience with riding that fast in the rain. it definietly takes some getting used to. The good news was that it kep me cool, but you definitely need to be on your toes. I felt really stong on the bike the whole way. I had switched rear casettes a few days prior and really haven't ridden since then. It took some getting used to, but pretty soon I found my sweet spot. The first 5-6 miles I was passing a lot of other riders. I was concerned at first, but then I just decided to keep the pace and see how it goes. By mile 5-6 I was getting passed by obviously faster cyclists. By mile 10 the race had segmented into your typical sub-groups. i was battling this guy on a Raliegh back and forth, it was quite fun. He took the lead into a tight left hander. He looked back to see where i was and he was continuing to peddle. All of a sudden, his back tire slides out from underneath him and slides all the way across the road and into the shoulder. I am a good sport. I stopped, made sure he was OK, and asked if he needed anything. He told me to get going and not ruin my own race. i took off, but i was a little freaked and was a little more cautious after that. It probably cost me a minute worth of time.

Pick a race with less chance of rain. I can't say I would do a lot of things differently. I felt really comfortable in aero position and I thought i navigated through traffic well. i love my bike and I think i made a good choice in choosing it. Never thought I would be able to average close to 21. My first tri my average was 15.6 mph. Totally fun to see the improvement.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Had my feet out of my shoes before transition and dismonted right at the line. I passed 4 or 5 people right there. I hopped off and then proceeded to loose my balance and almost run into the fence. Moron. Found my rack, threw on the shoes, took a big drink of Endurace, slapped on my hat and i was off.

Nopthing really. The wife said i was really quick out of T2, so if she even noticed, it must have been better than average.
Run
  • 31m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, it is the same story every race. Great swim average bike (but getting better) and a 10:00/mile run. My HR was through the roof. Upper 170's out of T2. I drank a couple of huge drinks of Endurace, that did not sit well with me and sloshed around. Legs were OK, but stiff and I felt under control. The rain was kind of a blessing as it kept me cool, but I was more concerned about my HR. I'd slow down look at my watch and it would say 172! WTF. I ran the entire course, which is always a goal. I did get some stiches @ 1.5 miles but just contolled my breathing a little bit and they went away. i finished strong, but I may just not be a short distance runner.

Run faster!
Post race
Warm down:

It was still raining, so I quickly went under the shelter, grabbed some food and went to transition to clean up a huge mess. What a pain.

Event comments:

Great race with lots of dedicated volunteers that stayed in the rain. Great job everyone!

Last updated: 2008-01-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:46 | 400 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/18
Overall: 51/384
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra John
Course: Out and back. Shallow and crowded
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:25
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:47:18 | 16.5 miles | 20.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/18
Overall: 73/384
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Nice course with some technical turnas and nicer straights, not very many hills, which I love! It was raining pretty hard now. Couldn't really see, I had dark glasses on and i could have used some rose/clear ones for sure.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:16 | 03.11 miles | 10m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/18
Overall: 253/384
Performance:
Course: Mostly flat with some running on sidewalks, but the majority is on a trail that borders the Fox River.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 1:39 PM

User image

Subject: Green Bay Triathlon

2008-06-09 4:24 PM
in reply to: #1454601

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Green Bay Triathlon

Great job!  I was wondering about how you all would be handling the crapola weather for this race.  What a downpour and what a way to perservere.

I only wish I would have known the lake was 3 feet deep.  Even I could do a tri under those circumstances.

2008-06-10 12:42 AM

New user

Nice job fellow clyde.  I too am like you, not built for short fast runs.  My 5k and10k runs in tri's are only about 15 to 20 second difference pace per mile.  It drives me crazy!!!  I think it comes down to DNA.....    you will only get even faster on that new bike...  good luck
2008-06-10 11:00 AM

User image

Wisconsin
Awesome job Aron!
Impressive bike.
2008-06-10 2:52 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Nice JOB AJ! I can't believe they actually held the race! Had lots of torrential rains, thunder etc.. down here. Wow!

Great job riding in the rain! 21 mph! Way to go baby! Vroooom!

2008-06-11 10:20 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Great Race Man!  You are definitely getting faster.   Love the swim speed and transiton times.  Great bike, too.  Keep working on that run...it does get easier.  Really.   This sets up a good race for you in Racine!

And great RR, too.  Felt like I was there.

2008-06-15 6:57 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

You are such a fast swimmer.

But what was cool was the great Donkai fashion of stopping and finding out if one the competitors was okay after a crash and burn!  VERY COOL, DONK!

Nice job out there!   EEEEAAAAWWWW!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Green Bay Triathlon Rss Feed