United States
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 20s
Overall Rank = 25/344
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

5:00 am wake up. Showered, got dressed, and out the door. I had already pack the car the night before, so I was ready to go. Ate a breakfast bar, gatoraid, and water intake.
Event warmup:

We got to sign-in about 6:15 am, checked in, then off to set up my transition area. The racks were not numbered out, so it was first come, first served on bike location. SOOOOO, after realizing that, I ran to the first rack. That way, I could run in from the swim, straight ahead to the second rack of bikes, and 10 feet from the exit. It was a great location. My rack also had someone that hung a floating ballon next to their bike for easy location that was on the end. 1. I used that to make it really easy to locate my rack, 2. the bike next to me used a huge red ballon (tied to the rack), so I used to the locate my bike. It was like having GSP to my bike.

Event warm up, light jogging throughout the morning, and a good 100-150 meter swim to get ready.
Swim
  • 12m 22s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was talking to a guy that I raced against a few weeks ago while they were going over the rules. Next thing we know, they start a count down, 10, 9, 8, 7, HOLY CRAP, we were in the wrong area. The first wave was starting on the other side of this building. Once we realized that, we took off running through the crowd, around the building, and to the first wave. I got there right after they started (perhaps 2-3 seconds after). It was about a 25 yard run to the water.

I took off running, passing people left and right, then I cut through the group to start on the outside (e.g. right side). Hit the water, and I was off. Now, I am a MOP swimmer, so I was not running over people during the swim, just holding my own. The pack broke up very fast as we got to the first bouy. The water was clear enough to see about 1-2 feet around your face. That was enough area to see other swimmers getting close, and you could see bubbles from people in front of you as you closed on them.

My swim is comming around, slowly, and I felt strong throughout the entire swim. Since the swim was along the beach I used the beach for sighting during the first half of the swim (along with a few spotting sights to focus on the second bouy), then turned to bouy spotting the second half of the swim. As I was spotting one time, a guy cut me off. The next time I went to spot, that same guy was swiming WAY off course. It make me really glad that I had been working on my spotting recently.

The second bouy seemed to be so far off, then the next thing I knew, I was right on top of it. Coming around the second bouy, I started to get bottled up with two swimmers. I cut close to the bouy, and passed both of them.

After reading a tip on BT, I swam until my fingers hit the sand. BAM, I was running out of the water. The run from the water to T1, was .25 of a mile. WOW, was that a long run with a steep hill right before you go to T1. I passed several people during that run.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. My spotting was strong. My swimming in open water is getting stronger. I was pleased with the effort.

I avg 1:39 per 100 yards. The 12:22 includes the .25 mile run to T1.
Transition 1
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

Again, my T1 was flying.

Goggle/Cap were in hand. A quick drop, glasses on, helmet on, grabbed bike and was off. I always make up for a slower swim time in T1. There were several people in T1 when I got there, and I pass EVERYONE in T1.

I remember two guys sitting on the ground putting on their stuff that were at the end of my rack. I ran pass them, then five seconds later, I ran pass them with my bike. I saw them both give me a look like WTF when I was heading for the exit.

Nothing, my T1 was the fastest T1 of the day.

27.2 seconds
Bike
  • 43m 45s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.05 mile/hr
Comments:

I jumped on my bike, and started pedaling with feet on top of shoes. There was a slight down hill right after T1, so I used that to get up to speed, before slipping into my shoes.

I love the bike. I was reeling people in left and right. I got about 2-3 miles into the bike, before it really started thinning out. I knew I was near the front at that point. Two guys passed me on the way out before I really got my breathing under control.

I saw the leaders come by at the 5.5 mile mark. I was one mile behind the leader. Time to hit the go button. Well, the whole race came unglued for me right then. Several of us missed the turn-around point. There was a cop directing traffic, but was not going out of his way to say "TURN AROUND". Me and one other guy at about a mile past that point before a member of the staff came riding up on a motorcycle, and said you missed the cut-off. I was pissed. Turned around, and back the other way.

My mind was gone for the rest of the race. I was reeling people back in for a second time. That just pissed me off more. I tired to get my mind back into it, which I did for the most part, but still each person that I re-passed it made me that much more angry. Oh well, it happens some times.

Coming into T2 I was flying. Feet out, on top of shoes, and then to one side. I was coming in HOT, jumped off right before the dismount line and was off.

Don't miss the freaking turn-around point. Oh well, it happens. I missed the turn around, added 1-1.25 miles to the course, and still finished 25th overall. Not to bad.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 was flying as well.

Racked bike, wipped feet on towel, socks on, shoes on. I grabed my race belt, and was off.

Nothing, my T2 was flying.

My T2 slot is blank. I wonder if they added it to my bike time, as it seems long.
Run
  • 18m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I was having a very strong run, except I could not catch my breath. For some reason, I could not get into rythum with my breathing. Plus, everyone I passed it returned me to missing the bike turn-around. Oh well, it is what it is.

Over-all preformance on the was ok. I would say it was an avg effort output.

Nothing really. The run was going fine.

WOW, after seeing my time, no wonder I could not breath. I avg 6:03/mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Light jogging, a little bit of easy spinning

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just a mental game at the half way mark on the bike.

Event comments:

They needed more rack space. Every rack was packed, and some bikes were lining the fence.

Last updated: 2008-05-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:22 | 437 yards | 02m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/344
Performance: Good
Suit: NO
Course: Along the beach swim. We started on one side of the beach, straight out to the first bouy (@50 meters or so), and hang a left. 300 meters down the beach to the second bouy, then hang another left for 50 or so meters. Exit at the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:45 | 12.43 miles | 17.05 mile/hr
Overall: 0/344
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: An out and back. I would say this course was a bit hilly. Nothing mosterous, but there were definitely hills out there, along with several flat areas. I rated the road surface as smooth, because most of the course was paved. HOWEVER, coming out of the park there was construction going on. So, we had to cross an unpaved area of gravel. This was a neutral zone (e.g. no passing, no racing), but moving over gravel that fast make me very nervous.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:18:45 | 03.11 miles | 06m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 11/344
Performance: Average
Course: The course was an out and back. It was much different from the Emerald Pointe race in October. Right after T2, you ran back down the hill that you came up from the swim. Very steep, hill. I was going down full speed, doing my best not to fall on my face. Back across the bridge, then up a moster of a hill. After that, the course ironed out to a rolling course, around the turnaround and back to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: My Next Triathlon

2008-06-09 4:22 PM
in reply to: #1454747

User image

Veteran
Woodstock, GA
Subject: My Next Triathlon

Congratulations on a blistering fast run and a great overall result! 

It's funny when I got to the bike turnaround point I saw a couple people past the turnaround.  A woman was coming back from passing the turnaround and I almost ran into her as I was turning around at the correct spot.   Apparently other people made the same mistake as you, since they had just an orange cone with no sign.

Justin

2008-06-09 7:08 PM
in reply to: #1455119

Regular
Subject: RE: My Next Triathlon

Good race, there was a sign about 100 yards before the turnaround on the right side of the road (like the rest of the directional signs) w/ the cop (when I reached the turnaround there were 2 cops) and cones there spotting the turnaround but it was not terribly obvious.

Nice report, I did read somewhere that the run was really only 2.5 miles???  I had a really good run averaging 6m23s and I am not that fast, or at least I do not think so....

Great job though!

2008-06-10 11:59 AM
in reply to: #1454747

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: RE: My Next Triathlon
Very nice race.  Sucks about the turnaround, but it looks like you handled it well and more than made up for it.  And VERY nice T1.  You need to give me some lessons. lol.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » My Next Triathlon Rss Feed