Keuka Lake Triathlon Association C/O Score This!!!, Inc
61F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 05m 51s
Overall Rank = 154/225
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

Carbo loaded the day before and spent a full week working on hydration. Aimed for 450g of carbs on Saturday, but didn't make it because I was too nervous and had trouble eating so much food. Tried to go to bed early, but couldn't fall asleep or stay asleep. Maybe had 4 1/2 hours total. Got up at 5:30 and choked down a bagel and two gatorades. Went to transition area to set up. LOVED being one of the first people there. Was able to put my bike on the end of the row.
Event warmup:

Spent too much time waiting in line for the 2 port-o-johns. Did about 15 minutes of dynamic stretching. After announcements went to the water and did some aqua jogging and then, at most, 50 yards warm up.
Swim
  • 26m 26s
  • 1650 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim is where I get a leg up on everyone so that they can pass me on the bike and run. I can't complain too much at how I faired coming out of the water except the folks climbing the stairs were walking up them and I wanted to run...hello, I know it's slippery, but this IS a race. =p I need to work on moving through the water faster still, so I'm going to incorporate hand paddles in practice more.
What would you do differently?:

More OWS before my first race. Use a wetsuit that gives me more range of motion. I felt pretty restricted in my arms.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

My mom was just outside the TA and asking me how the water was. Ha. I kind of had to yell to her that I was too busy to talk. =) Put on socks, and a fuel belt and a water fell out when that happened. I didn't think much of it because I had 20 oz of COLD gatorade on my bike and the other bottle had 8 oz water.

Overall I was decent in T1. 4th in age group and 58 overall.

Practice transitions a few more times. Check my feet for pebbles before putting on socks.
Bike
  • 1h 33m 26s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.96 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where I REALLY get passed. Badly. Part of it is that I don't have good quad strength. Part of it is because I have a $175 road bike from Target online, so we're not talking about stellar quality here. I also have armadillo tires which may slow me down a touch and I don't have bike shoes. Just cages for my feet.

Upgrade my bike. By ALOT. Get more rides in working hills a lot harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

I was nervous getting ready for this. I always think I'm forgetting something.

Practice more. I should have packed more small waters for the run, too.

5th in age group, 55th overall.
Run
  • 1h 03m 32s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This was awful. I tried to drink up on the bike, but I dropped my gatorade after the first turn around on the bike, so I wasn't as hydrated as I had planned. The heat was almost overwhelming AND the people who lived in the cottages on the bike course would drive by and the temperature of the exhaust of the cars would drive the air temp up. I never really got more than a shuffle out of my legs until I saw the finish line. But, man, did it hurt to finish strong.

Bring fuel belt with water. I'd like to experiment with caffeinated gels, too. I needed a little mental pick me up for most of the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked myself right to the lake and sat in the water for about 20 minutes. My legs hurt something fierce so the cool water was amazing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and lack of hydration. I tried to sodium load by drinking a lot of gatorade the day before and day of and it may have helped. I was prepared for the distance by not the heat, that's for sure.

Event comments:

A previous race greeted the finishers with an ice cold wet towel. I'd trade in the hat they gave us for a cold wet towel at the finish line any day. I think they needed a lot more water stations, too. Partly, us athletes were to blame if we didn't have enough to drink (we all knew in advance it'd be in the 90s that day), but I think the race directors should have planned on putting more water out there. Or, maybe have water at one of the turn arounds on the bike course.

Other than that, I thought the DJ could have pumped the music louder. I was ready to rock and roll in warm ups and needed something to get going. I also thought the post race meal was kind of lame. It was nice to have that much variety, but I couldn't find anything that looked good to a vegetarian.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-12-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:26 | 1650 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 45/225
Performance: Good
Suit: Full sleeved, rented through Xterra
Course: The course was .93 mile. I hadn't swam in water that choppy with a current before. I focused on keeping my stroke rate high when usually I emphasize distance per stroke. I'm not very good at swimming in a wetsuit so I still need to work on that.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:33:26 | 24.85 miles | 15.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/10
Overall: 202/225
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: 54 is ROUGH. The road is patch work and there are TONS of cracks between the road and the shoulder. I don't know how no one got hurt. There was a mighty long climb up Pepper Rd but I just tried keeping my cadence up.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:03:32 | 06.21 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/10
Overall: 165/225
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat course. Water stops were supposedly every 1-1.5 miles, but it seemed like they had packed some up when I was doing the back half of the run. The pack that I was in was VERY discouraged that there wasn't more water available.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 5:46 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: Keuka Lake Triathlon

2008-06-09 7:07 PM
in reply to: #1455308

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: RE: Keuka Lake Triathlon

Congrats on finishing a very tough race!! The heat out there was brutal and people were really having problems out there. If it makes you feel any better you absolutely kicked my a$$ on transitions, BOTH of them!! Nice work!

You will notice a huge difference on a better bike. I would guess 3 mph on your average by spending less than $400 on a used road bike that fits. The good thing about your bike is that it makes you train harder!

Awesome swim and way to perservere on the run!! You finished stronger than I did too!! (Check my RR for details. )

2008-06-09 9:22 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
I totally know how you feel about having your best event be the swim and have everyone pass you on the bike and run.  But you did a great job finishing this very, very tough race in these conditions.  Just think how much faster you'll be with a real bike!!
2008-06-10 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Thanks for the encouraging words everyone!!

I qualified for the Age Group Nationals, so I'm considering heading to Portland in Sept. Should be a fun time! =)
2008-06-10 1:11 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Great job on a tough day! Congrats on gutting it out!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Keuka Lake Triathlon Rss Feed