Keuka Lake Triathlon Association C/O Score This!!!, Inc
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 21m 58s
Overall Rank = 11/225
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/35
Pre-race routine:

Matt and I spent the night at Andy's (clarkar12) beautiful cottage on Lamoka Lake. Nice, relaxing night and Matt was thrilled to drive Andy's boat and swim in the middle of the lake. Ate a pasta dinner and drank lots of fluids (the good kind :) ) Woke up around 4:30 (6 1/2 hrs of sleep), I actually got about twice as much sleep as I had in the previous 2 nights with working nights and a couple very early mornings. I sat on the throne 3 times in 30 minutes, I was thinking that this was good to get everything cleared out early!! I had a PB&J sandwich on wheat and a bottle of gatorade at 5:00. Woke Matt up and left for the race at 5:30, I ate a Cliff Bar on the way to the race. Got to the race and had to find a bathroom before I got the bikes off the rack. I took my bag down to transition and put it in a nice front row slot right next to the bike exit then went up to get my bike and Matt's bike off the car. I was sipping on water the whole morning and it was going through me pretty fast, I was definitely hydrated! I forgot my swim cap in the car so I ran to the registration table to get another one. Just as the transition area was about to close I realized I forgot my sunglasses. Marmadaddy thought he had a spare pair and got my hopes up just to see them crumble when he realized he took them out. (Thanks Mike, you cheater!! ;))
Event warmup:

I really wanted to get 15-20 minute run in and a good 10 minute swim in but with Matt there it just wasn't happening. He was with the infamous "Jeannie" from mtimofeef's log, she rode her bike up the east side of the lake to come and cheer me on. She was trying to keep Matt hydrated for his race. Anyways, my warm-up consisted of two more trips to the porta-potty. That makes 5 dumps before the race, you would think that would do it!! (That's all I have to say about that............until later)
Swim
  • 20m 41s
  • 1650 yards
  • 01m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

Just before the swim start my stomach started up, uh oh!! This will go away as soon as I get into "race mode", it has to! The swim started off pretty rough. I got beat up more in this race than I ever have I think. I took a couple elbows to the ribs and a good kick to the thigh (whew!) before I finally just put my head down and pushed hard to get out in front. I was leaving the arms and legs behind me and just getting ready to set the cruise control when I hit a mooring buoy square in the middle of my forehead. Who the heck put that there?!!! Thank God it was foam and not the hard plastic one. At this point I am thinking that this is really going to be an interesting day. My goggles are so fogged up that I can't see a thing when I sight, I guess my spit wasn't gooey enough today. I see a set of feet go by me and I swam for them figuring if I can keep the feet in front of me I won't have to clear my goggles. I held on for a 100 yds or so then took a nice swallow of water that caused me to breathe each stroke to catch a breath and lost the feet. Bummer! I rounded the first buoy and I was already seeing the caps from some of the previous wave. I still couldn't see anything so I finally stopped to clear my goggles and with 1 breastroke kick managed to kick the guy drafting me! I set the cruise control at a 1:15 pace and every few minutes I looked behind me just to see if my passenger was still there. He was and I know he must have enjoyed the 6 beat draft I was throwing. I think I lost him when we turned into the headwind for the final 300 yds. Overall I had a good swim and didn't push it too hard at all.
What would you do differently?:

Look for any obstacles before the race start and defog my goggles better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Horrendous T1! No excuses, I NEED TO WORK ON TRANSITIONS!!!! I SUCK AT TRANSITIONS!! There, I feel better already! :)

Get organized and work on transitions. It took me 4 or 5 tries to snap my race belt. Ugh!!
Bike
  • 1h 10m 11s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.24 mile/hr
Comments:

When I finally got out of T1 I felt good on the bike. Got into a good rhythm and started to pass people. (It's nice starting in the second wave!) I passed a Jason Chlopecki (jchlopecki) after a few miles, we're both coached by the all-mighty Kevin Crossman (t3coach1) of T3 Coaching. The roads were terrible, filled with potholes and debris. The first section was on a 55 mph road into a headwind. Some riders were taking a line on the road because of the condition of the shoulder. I found a pretty smooth line on the far right side of the shoulder and ended up passing a couple riders on the right. Being gravity challenged, I was getting passed on the uphills by a few guys but I got them back with my gravity advantage going downhill. Wheeeeeee!!!! I don't know where my mind was for this race but a few times I looked down at my HR and saw 130's, WTF!! HTFU and start racing dude!!! There is a 3 to 4 mile hill that leads to the turn around and I just got into a comfy gear and started to sing "What goes up, must come down ....... spinning wheels......." Made the turn at the top and started to pick off the people that passed me on the uphill. The Oly group met up with the Sprint group with a few miles to go. This was another place where some of the sprinters were riding in the middle of the road. I was approaching them at around 26 mph and they were going a lot slower so I passed them on the right. I turned in to the road that led back to the transition area and passed a few more riders, took my feet out of my shoes and rode with my feet on top of my shoes for the last block. Had a good dismount, racked my bike and got ready to run. I ended up getting a 2:00 penalty for Overtaking. I don't know if it was from passing on the right or not dropping back far enough before re passing someone. That could have been an issue with the looong hill.

Stay focused, and pay attention to my position when approaching slower riders.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I had a little trouble racking my bike as there was a bag in my spot. To speed up the transition I decided to forego the socks. BIG MISTAKE!!! Grabbed my hat, took a swig of gel and headed out.

GET ORGANIZED AND PRACTICE!!!! Always put my socks on, never forget the socks again!
Run
  • 46m 3s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I headed out of T2 and tried to get into a 6:30 pace. After a very short time my legs were telling me that this gear is broken, cruise control won't work at this effort. So I told my legs "Okay, let's try the Musselman gear!" I was very comfortable at a 7:30 pace and was going to cruise home at this pace until I saw Tim Andrus pass me just before the turnaround. He said "I know you're 5 minutes ahead Bob, but you are DOGGIN' IT!" I went through the turn and after about a few strides I saw Jason Chlopecki and thought I really need to pick it up a notch and "RACE"! The next 2 miles were at a 7:00 pace and my legs felt good but my stomach wasn't and I was actually looking for a tossed out napkin and a patch of trees. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it to the finish line. My legs felt good and was still at a comfortable pace but man the stomach was gurglin'! I finally had to make the choice of having a brown streak going down my leg for the finish picture or hitting the john 200 yds from the finish. I chose the porta john, in hindsight it was the wrong choice and cost me 1st place in AG. The only good thing was that I looked at my a$$ before I left the john and noticed a 2 ft piece of toilet paper caught on my tri shorts! That would have been a pic for the BT banner!

ALWAYS WEAR SOCKS!! The blisters on my feet are killing me!! Either figure out my nutrition or go 6 times before a race!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit with Matt. Went back up to the car for my recovery drink. YUM!!! GHot Matt ready for his kids tri.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting my head in the game better, a better warm-up with a good run to "loosen" everything up better, not run into a mooring buoy in the swim, pass people on the left and don't let ANYBODY pass me on the bike, run to the finish line like you're in a race!!

Event comments:

Another great race put on by Score-This and Jeff Henderson. I highly recommend any of the Finger Lakes races to anyone of any ability!!

Last updated: 2008-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:41 | 1650 yards | 01m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/35
Overall: 2/225
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca P-Flex Sleeveless
Course: The course was a rectangular course, the first 300 yds were into a headwind, 25 yds of crosswind, 1000 yds of a tailwind, 25 yds of crosswind then back into the headwing for the final 300 yds or so.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:54
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:10:11 | 24.85 miles | 21.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/35
Overall: 7/225
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: First 15 miles were hilly ending with a 3 to 4 mile climb to a turn around. The last 7 or 8 miles were fast and fun!!
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:46:03 | 06.21 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/35
Overall: 26/225
Performance: Average
Course: Flat crushed stone road along the lake. Mostly shaded with very gentle inclines and declines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 6:58 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: Keuka Lake Triathlon

Hard day at the races but at least I didn't pull up like Big Brown!! (I am leaving this open for comments! :) )

Edited by rstocks3 2008-06-09 7:09 PM

2008-06-09 8:03 PM
in reply to: #1455424

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Keuka Lake Triathlon

Wow!  You can take a dump in the middle of a race and STILL place in your AG?!?!  Very nice!!  Smile  Sounds like a race where things just weren't going to go perfectly right in anything, but you still kicked booty!  I think when you have to have your "dad hat" on right until the start makes it tough to have your race hat on too.

You still rocked!!!!  Another awesome race under your belt! 

2008-06-09 9:17 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

I'm laughing so hard after reading your report!  Thats awesome!!!!!!

And you still qualified for Nationals!  WTG BOB!!!!!

2008-06-10 4:28 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great race, as usual, Bob!  Congratulations on qualifying for Nationals!

2008-06-10 8:40 AM

User image

Regular
Horseheads, NY
Even with the pit stop and the penalty you still only missed winning your age group by 30 seconds.  Great job (as usual)...
2008-06-10 9:10 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Great race and congrats on the 3rd place

2008-06-10 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England

Great report Bob

Sort your nutrition out man - eat a plug or something!

2008-06-10 12:48 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

baaaaaaaaaaaaab!!!!!!!!! 

Awesome race.   Sorry about the stomach issues but it made for a funny RR!  Congrats! 

2008-06-10 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Thanks for posting such a lively report. =) Congrats on a great finish!
2008-06-10 7:37 PM

User image

St Petersburg, Florida

Fantastic RR

I felt like I was there clenching too.

2008-06-11 2:50 PM
in reply to: #1458357

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY