General Discussion Race Reports! » The Garden of the Gods Ten Mile Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Garden of the Gods Ten Mile Run - Run10 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Colorado Springs, Colorado
United States
Triple Crown of Running
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 58m 46s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

First off, I trained on this course a lot, including doing the entire 10 miles in only 5mins slower than last year's race 2 weeks ago. Then the last 2 days drove the course slowly, taking note again of the length of all the climbs- almost all are 1/2 mile- and location of the mile markers... so I felt ready.
Once again, baby didn't sleep well night before an event. Pushed alarm back 45mins to 5:30, but woke at 5:20. Showered and drank 300cals or so of straight Metabolol 2 Go-Juice, while I dressed in racing gear and put sweats over. Parked in my usual great spot on El Paso and got out the mat and stretched. Put mat away and had all my gear and began walking toward start, when they came by with the cones separating the road for first half mile. Cone-layers said my car would be towed, so I moved the car to the Manitou High School Parking lot and used the 10min walk from there as a warm up.
Event warmup:

Used the 10min walk from Manitou High as a warm up, then sat on rock wall stretching some more and listening to High School marathon challenge folks- and smiling. Put on nipple-tape and was about to strip down when the start was delayed 15mins to allow race-day registrants to finish entering. So I hit the porta-potties. Back to the rock wall for more stretching, then stripped down to racing weight and stretched standing up as I made my way to the start. Wore Nike Sphere SS-Shirt, RaceReady LD shorts w/pockets, and Brooks gloves (tight, I love 'em!). Took Gel Flask half full of Hammer Gel Raspberry with me in 1 pocket, along with Cell Phone, ID, Medical Car, & Credit Card.
Run
  • 1h 59m 46s
  • 10 miles
  • 11m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal was 'faster than last year' (2:08), with ultimate goal of under 2 Hours. Started at 2:05 pace (12:30 a mile) and had printed pace chart for that pace. Clicked off a few 12:30's then started to get ahead of that and felt comfy so when with it. Starting at the 2nd mile took 1 cup Gatorade at all aid stations except at 5miles where I took some Hammer Gel just before 1hour and got water at the Aid Station. Pushed between 6 and 8 miles (60%-80% is always where it's most important for me to push... by 80% everyone's re-motivated, but in what can be the doldroms between 60%-80% of a race distance is where my goals are generally achieved) and I got far enough "ahead" that I started considering 2:00. Went through 8miles at 1:37, 3mins ahead or 2:02 pace, so I figured 2:00 was just within reach if I pushed it the last 2 miles. It was very satisfying to hit my goals the whole way along and then see that clock at the end counting up toward 2:00 but with plenty of time to spare. 1:59:46 was just great.
What would you do differently?:

Got just a little "sloshy" with so many big hills. I felt like drinking at each Aid Station, but maybe should have taken a little less at a couple of them.
Post race
Warm down:

Went straight through the finish-line shoot, back to the rock wall and got my bag, and eased the 10mins back to the car. Stretched on the Mat and drove home.
After eating at home went to Y in the afternoon with family and swam and stretched with baby in the warm pool- nice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

8mins faster than last year- was only limited by my big-picture goals/no need to go faster than that right now in my season. It was a hard effort and any faster would have risked injury, particularly left knee injury.

Event comments:

I thought the extra 15mins before the start to allow all the race-day registrants to get in the race was actually experienced as a blessing by the majority of the rest of the racers. I know I used the Porta-Potty and was generally more relaxed by the delay- but I hadn't taken off my sweats yet either, so I was pretty relaxed already. :-)

Last updated: 2008-04-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:59:46 | 10 miles | 11m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5