General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Foot Pain/Running Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-09 8:15 PM

User image

Subject: Foot Pain/Running Question
Hello Everyone --

I am not the best runner on the block, but I have been having some steady progress over the past four months or so (whoohoo!). I have been running 3.35 miles, three times a week, and when I started, it took me about 50 minutes, and now it takes me about 39 minutes. I didn't want to push it since I am on the larger end of Athena -- I wanted to get my feet used to the pounding before I did anything really exciting.

Today, I decided that I should try sprint intervals so that I could attempt to increase my speed a little bit. I did 20 seconds sprint/20 seconds rest; 40 seconds sprint/40 seconds rest; and then 80 seconds sprint/80 seconds rest. I did this 3 times and then went home. I felt pretty good -- no major pain in my feet or knees or anything. My shoes are only two weeks old, by the way.

Since I have plantar faciitis, I iced my feet afterwards. I had to take my sons to swim practice, and I took the ice pack along with me and just kept flipping it over when it warmed up. Everything was fine until I stood up -- and then it was SO not fine. The pain was excruciating. I thought it might be because I had been sitting for about 2 hours, but it has lasted all day -- I can barely walk.

So here are my questions -- is this normal when you ramp up your run workout? Am I going to have pain like this if I do sprints? Is it something that goes away as your body gets used to it? What the heck is going on??

Thanks!

Leslie

2008-06-10 1:07 AM
in reply to: #1455668

User image

Master
Sachse
Subject: RE: Foot Pain/Running Question
I don't know about others..but even when I was running at 300+ lbs, I never had pain like you describe. I have the occasional soreness in the legs, ankles, or feet.... but nothing bad. There is a bid difference between pain and soreness. I can tell you though.. as I speed up, I will get some pain as I am running and that is when I back it down a little. I push this line a little more each time, and my times have really started dropping. Each time I push that line, I actually feel like all the bolts are going to fall out.. lol.. For whatever reason, I imagine the robot, moving faster and faster, to the point where all the nuts and bolts start falling off and springs busting.. lol.. that is how I felt. It does get easier, each time though.

If your foot is still hurting that bad, the next day, you might want to get it checked out. You do not want to make it worse.

Kenny
2008-06-10 8:00 AM

Oldsmar, FL

one thing that helped me when I had plantar fascitis a few years back was to do plenty of calf stretching and recently I also started doing a stretch where you move your foot in the shape of a "J"

the "J" helps with ankle mobility and combined with a proper running shoe and form they help to keep shint splints at bay ... at least in my case

I do them both at night while watching tv and so far (knock on wood) no issues 

Edited by surgeandsettle 2008-06-10 8:19 AM
2008-06-10 5:33 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
I suffer from PF, too. It can be flat-out miserable at times to deal with, so I know what you're going through. You mention in your post that your shoes are only 2 weeks old, but you didn't mention whether or not you have been "fitted" with the proper running shoes. Most folks that have PF, are over-pronaters. If you're not wearing a good pair of stability or motion-control shoes to correct that issue, this could be the source of your pain. Definitely continue to ice the heel, but you should also be doing some extensive calf stretches. You might also want to consider rolling your foot around, on a golf or tennis ball...I have found this to help tremendously. There are also night time splints and socks that can be worn while sleeping to keep the foot in a constantly stretched position. I hope you're able to sort out your foot problems soon. Believe me...I know how frustrating it can be.

Linda
2008-06-10 6:49 PM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
I had different aches and pains my whole first year as a runner. I totally backed off of speed work altogether because every time I tried it something different would act up. Only now..almost two years later...do I feel comfortable with speed work. Others may have a different opinion but that is just my experience.
2008-06-11 7:52 AM

Veteran
Brrr-mont

I've got PF too - and frankly it's the most infuriating injury I have ever had.  Each time I think I'm making progress with it, I run and find out I haven't.  rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

My doc has also told me that while "we are making progress" and my PF is getting better, I have managed to irritate the bejeezus out of the fat pad in my heel...and this is the newest source of pain for me, it hurts a lot! His solution is ice, ice baby, continue the stretching, and gel heel cups.  Our next steps are accupuncture and some new taping strategies. 

I've been told over and over that it's a long term process to recover from this injury, pool running has been suggested but I haven't yet taken the plunge on that one (get it? ) I've been trying to concentrate on swimming and biking and praying I don't loose to much running fitness.  Hang in there...do what your doc tells you and do it religiously (the stretching and icing) Don't get discouraged, but do still keep moving.  Hope that helps....

2008-06-11 8:09 PM
in reply to: #1458974

User image

Thank you all so much -- this is such a pain in the rear end to deal with!

In response to the many comments, I have shoes from a great running shop, and I have continued to ice my feet. I have upped the frequency of the tennis ball massage, and it does seem to be helping a little. I also stretch A LOT before I get out of bed in the morning, since that seems to be the worst time.

I cannot do anything in the pool, except regular swimming, since I get horribly seasick. Not a pretty sight.

I am hoping this goes away with time, massage, and ice, rather than the PF surgery a friend just had.

L
2008-06-11 8:35 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Yes...always exhaust ALL conservative treatment methods first, before even considering surgery. I've also read/heard that "taping" is quite effective, however it does seem to be rather time-consuming. I'd probably have to get up a 1/2 hour earlier each morning, just to tape my foot properly...and I already get up at 5am. I'm actually thinking about trying these:

http://www.heel-that-pain.com/heel_seats.php

Or this:

http://pattstrap.com/psc-pronation-spring-control-p-34.html

The way I see it, either one is worth a shot over surgery.
2008-06-15 10:24 AM

I am in the midst of a bad episode of PF. I started deep water running about 3 wks ago, can't tell you how much of a difference it has made. I do my lap swimming, then about 30 min. of aqua jogging with the floatation belt in the deep end. I also stretch my calves leaning against the side of the pool in the water, much less painful than on land. I keep a plastic bottle of water in the freezer and roll my foot over it, seems to be helping. Good luck, I sympathize with you, it can be very debilitating.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Foot Pain/Running Question Rss Feed