Keuka Lake Triathlon Association C/O Score This!!!, Inc
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 04m 18s
Overall Rank = 151/225
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 25/35
Pre-race routine:

2005 was the first year that I did triathlons. After a season of doing sprints, I knew that I wanted to move up to Olympic distance. Between then and now, I've had injuries to my calves, shoulder, feet, hip to name a few. My calf injury cost me much of 2006's season while shoulder surgery cost me most of 2007. All sorts of doctors, surgeons, physical therapists, chiropractors, massage therapists, accupuncturist, to name a few have crossed my path. Its been a journey of learning the uniqueness of my body. A journey of learning how to train.

Today was the day that I reached my goal. I completed an Olympic distance triathlon.

The alarm went off at 4:30AM. I ate my normal bowl of cereal. Jackjack picked me up at 5 and we drove down to the race site togeather. We had loaded the car the night before.

Had some coffee on the way down. We got down to the site a few minutes after 6, checked in, got our numbers and then went back to the car for our things. The TA was pre-assigned by number. I found a decent spot within my area and unloaded a few things. Over to get our chips and body marks. I finished a bottle of gatorade and a bottle of water before the race started.

At about 7:45, I went down to the water.
Event warmup:

I got in the water and swam out maybe 100 yards. I wanted to get my body wet and exposed to the 63 degree water temps.

I was in the 2nd wave, starting at 8:05. I got out and found a place to sit down while wave 1 left.
Swim
  • 26m 16s
  • 1509 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had a good swim. I wanted to stay calm and in control and I was able to do that. I started on the outside as much as I could, and things worked fine. I tried to catch some feet after the start, but the people I started following got tired and I passed them. The better swimmers were probably gone by then.

I did a fair job of navigating. I found myself drifting a touch on occasions, but I never got too far off line.

It was just a very pleasant swim. I made good time, didn't have any trouble, and was pleased with my time in the water. By my watch, my swim time in the water was 25:30. The remainder was going up the stairs and the run to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

After climbing the stairs coming out of the water, I was able to get my neoprene cap, goggles, and yellow cap off well. I then remembered that I should get my wetsuit top off as well. I was able to do that before I got to my transition spot.

Once there, I sat down and pulled off my suit the rest of the way. Toweled off my feet and put on shoes and socks. Stood up, put on my helmet and sunglasses. Grabbed the bike and headed for the exit.

Once out of transition and onto the bike, I had a touch of trouble getting my feet snapped in. But whatever. Only a few seconds lost.

Things went ok overall. Reasonably smooth. No significant time lost on anything. My overall rank was 83rd for T1.

Not much
Bike
  • 1h 22m 35s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.05 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like I had a decent but not great bike. I wanted to make sure I would drink my water and gatorade on the ride. I finished 2/3 of the gatorade and all the water.

The first stretch of road was down wind, so I was able to make decent time. We turned up to the main highway and headed into the wind. The road quality was very poor. I passed a couple of people with flat tires. But I made it through ok. I mostly stayed in aero on this stretch and made reasonable time with the headwind. I was surprised to see my HR in the low 130s for much of this stretch.

As we headed down into Branchport, I was definetly on the drops. I wsa up over 30 mph and with the road conditions, I didnt want to be in aero.

I didnt have an especially good turn around, but whatever. Then we went up the hill. I did fine there, not pushing too hard. Up to the turn off and a short downhill. Then the real hill started.

I normally climb pretty well, so I put the bike in the 30 tooth front ring and just went up and up. I could have pushed a touch harder, but I didnt see the point of blowing out the legs. Up and up we went.

We got on top of the ridge and found ourselves heading into the wind until the turn around. Gorgeous views of the two fingers of Keuka lake. The lake is Y shaped and we were overlooking the top of the v. Very pretty up there.

After the turnaround, it was downwind and downhill. I got into aero for awhile and started making good time. I did go back to drops on steeper sections for safety reasons.

At about the 20 mile mark, my back was getting pretty sore. Hamstrings too. Just not enough time on the bike to have all those areas conditioned well.

After all the downhills, we merged with the sprint course on the main highway. Only a mile or so to go until transition. I was glad to be off the bike.

When I got off the bike, I looked at my watch and saw that I was at the 1:50 mark. I was well positioned to break 3 hours overall. Or so I thought.

Possibly slow down a touch. Perhaps finish the gatorade. But not a whole lot realistically.

I was dissappointed to see my biketime to be below the average pace. But with more time in the saddle, this situation could be fixed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

T2 went fairly well. Got the bike racked fine, helmet off, shoes swapped. Grabbed my visor and a drink of water.

Probably wasted a few seconds putting on my race belt. I should have put it on while moving to the exit.

Finished with the 68th best T2 time.

See above.
Run
  • 1h 12m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan for the run was to attempt to go at an "E" pace jog. I had done minimal running since February because of a foot injury. But the week prior, I averaged about an 8:20 pace for 3.5 miles in the Pittsford Tri. I didnt expect anything close to that pace for this run, but I thought I would be able to at least do this run in an hour.

The heat and humidity said otherwise. I died on the run. The heat ate me up. I wanted to run, but my HR was spiking even at a slow jog. I found myself getting light headed and my hands clammy. Heat stroke was a significant risk. I knew that I wasnt going to place, so I didnt see the point of pushing myself to the point of ending up on the hospital.

I tried to run much of the first mile or so. But I could not keep my HR and light-headedness under control. So I tried a walk/run. At every aid station, I got 2 cups of water. I poured 1 ovver my head and drank the other. I was trying very very hard to keep my body temp down, but it was just not happening.

I knew that I was not properly trained for this run leg. I have run a total of maybe 20 miles since February due to a foot injury. When I do much of my run training, it tends to be at a HR level of around 125 BPM.

Today, at similar paces, my HR was about 150. When I walked, my HR was still 130 to 135. The heat was affecting me that much.

I passed the 4.2 mile mark at about the 2:40 mark. If I could run 10 minute miles for the last 2 miles, I'd meet my 3 hour goal. But it was not to be on this day. I did run most of the last mile, however. And I passed the finish line with a smile on my face.

It was fun seeing my BT and other friends on the run. I saw Bob about a mile in as he was finishing up his race. I saw Paul from swimming soon thereafter. Jackie passed me about the 2.5 mile mark. I saw Marmadaddy after I had started the turn around. He caught me very soon thereafter.

After the run, I found Jackie, Marmadaddy, and Boyddr. It felt SOOOOO Good to sit down.

When you walk at least half the run, there is a lot that could have been done differently. There were things that I could not reasonably control though. I could do nothing about the 90 degree temperatures and high humidity. I could raelistically do little about my lack of run training leading up to the race.

The only thing that I might have controlled was my swim/bike pacing and my hydration. Did I go to hard in previous legs? Obviously I did in retrospect. But I didnt feel like I was going that hard on either one.

Could I have drank more? Yes. Might it have helped? Don't know. Overheating seemed to be the problem versus dehydration.

Did I take in enough calories overall? I don't know. I had the gatorate pre-race and most of another on the bike. Might have been a factor. Not sure.

I should probably add that more bike time, particularly on longer rides would have been helpful. I had only 3 rides of this length or more so far this year. Clearly not enough. This lack of bike fitness impacted my run.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked a touch until I found familiar faces. It felt really really good to sit down. I sat with Jackjack, Boddr, and Marmadaddy for 10-15 minutes. When it was time to get up, I was still in a touch of trouble physically. Boyddr and Marmadaddy helped pull me up. I had to stand bent over for about a minute to keep from passing out. After standing all the way up, I had to breath heavily for a couple of minutes. I needed a hand from Boyddr to keep my balance.

Marmadaddy was kind and gave me a coke he was drinking. The sugar and caffeine did seem to help. I was in much better condition about 10 minutes later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat was a huge factor. I probably could have finished the run in under an hour in cooler temperatures. But it just ate me up today.

My lack of run training is also a material factor. My longest run in the last 3 months was last weekend at the Pittsford tri. With only perhaps 20 miles total running since February, I was badly under trained for this leg.

I was a touch undertrained on the bike too. It didnt affect me on the bike as much as it did on the following run.

I don't know if hydration or calories was a contributing factor. I don't have enough experience at this distance to know if that was an issue.

The combination of these factors led to so much walking. Next time I'll go under 3 hours.

But despite all of that, I reached my goal. I've completed an Olympic Distance triathlon.

Event comments:

The organizers did a pretty good job. The only small problem was the lack of bathrooms.

Last updated: 2008-02-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:16 | 1509 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/35
Overall: 44/225
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit and neoprene cap
Course: Down the lake into the chop for maybe 1/4 mile. Turn left for maybe 50 yards to a second buoy. Turn left to go north up the lake a long way. This was downwind and the chop helped us on this stretch. Pass a buoy half way, then get to another before turning west. That was about 50 yards, then turn back into the chop to come to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:38
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:22:35 | 24.85 miles | 18.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/35
Overall: 131/225
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: The course starts along a lake road, then goes up to the main highway. The highway had tons of patched pavement. It was very poor road conditions. Follow this road past the Esperanza Inn down to Brachport. Turn around and head up the hill. After a turn off, go up a long, long hill. About 7 miles long. It flattens out at the top and is an out and back for the end portion. Most of this first half was into the wind. After the turn around, the wind was at our backs and it was mostly downhill. About 5 miles of downhills. The road quality was better than the main highway, but was still somewhat coarse. After the downhill, jog over to the highway again. Turn into college and down to transition
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:12:47 | 06.21 miles | 11m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/35
Overall: 208/225
Performance: Bad
Course: An out and back along a lake road. Fairly flat. But brutally hot and humid.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 8:33 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: Keuka Lake Triathlon

2008-06-09 8:53 PM
in reply to: #1455722

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Keuka Lake Triathlon

Excellent job reaching your goal, FINALLY!!!!  Whoopie!!!  Laughing

Yes, I think taking a gel, or 2, or 3, during the race could have made a big difference.  Or even some salt tabs for this hot day.  That's why we keep racing - we learn and keep trying new things!  And HAVE FUN!!!   

2008-06-10 4:13 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Great job Rob!!! It would have been a tough run even if you didn't have to overcome the injuries.  Congratulations on successfully finishing your first Oly!!!
2008-06-10 11:10 AM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Whoopee.  You did it.  Yeh.  Now you have moved up from sprint races I definitely suggest you think about nutrition- even if it is to make sure you drink all your gatorade!
2008-06-10 11:49 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
congratulatipons on finishing this goal!
2008-06-11 9:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
Awesome job.  You were strong in the other two legs, and with the minimal training and the miserable conditions it was hard to make the run much more than what it was.  You did the olympic distance and that is an accomplishment in itself.  You learned a lot and have that Olympic experience....the next one will be that much better.Smile

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Keuka Lake Triathlon Rss Feed