eliteendeavors.com
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 57m 25s
Overall Rank = 180/417
Age Group = W 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/23
Pre-race routine:

My alarm went off at 5 am and after hitting the snooze button a couple of times, I managed to crawl into the shower for a quick wake-me-up. I walked/fed/watered the girls, got the bike in the car, double-checked my gear box to make sure I had everything, and was out the door by 6:10. I HAD to get a my lucky Einstein's bagel so I drove into Plymouth before heading out to the race site.
I got to the race site without much trouble and even got a parking spot that wasn't too far from transition. I went to pick up my packet and realized that I forgot my USAT card. $10 down the drain....
Walking up the hill from the registration site, I ran into trixie and jazzwithnumbers (Alaina). After talking about inappropriate things and making people around us turn and stare, I walked up the hill to set up my transition and get my body marking.
After everything was set and ready to go, I grabbed my wetsuit and headed down to the start... it was go time.

Event warmup:

After applying enough Bodyglide to roast a turkey, I managed to squeeze my ass into trixie's wetsuit (I feel sorry for the people that have to witness this... its like trying to shove a whale into a VW bug.) I got into the water without much drama, paddled around for a little bit trying to shake off any feelings of panic, and tried to warm-up my shoulders so that I could drag my slow (but happy) butt through the water for half of a mile. It was about this time I realized I didn't pick up my chip. If I wasn't panicked yet, I was now.... I busted out of the water and ran over to the chip station, found my chip, and got back to the water in time to get a few more laps around the little buoys to get warmed up.
Swim
  • 19m 4s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Go time...

Just like always, I waited about 10 seconds after the start before I tried to start swimming. I am always worried about getting kicked, and since I am usually a slow swimmer, I figure I will just let the fish do their thing so they don't swim over the top of me. Once I got going, I tried to keep my breathing under control, keep my stroke long and relaxed, and sight often. As I came around the first buoy, I figured I was doing ok since I wasn't tired at all and I was still with a large number of the people in my wave. I kept going, trying to stay relaxed, and noticed that I was having a hard time trying to find a draft. I ended up on my own without many people in front of me. I finished strong and felt good coming out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

I am ALWAYS one of the last people out of the water... I am just not a swimmer (yet). I don't know how the hell this happened. It was the best OWS I have EVER done, so I don't think I could ask for anything more than that.

trixie must have peed in that wetsuit. I've been trixified.
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

I didn't realize I did as well as I did in the swim until I got to T1. I got there and MOST of the bikes were still on the rack. WTF? Usually the racks are empty when my slow butt finally makes it there.

Get faster.
Bike
  • 44m 8s
  • 14.3 miles
  • 19.44 mile/hr
Comments:

I came out of T1 feeling pretty good and super-stoked that I did so well on my swim. I got onto the bike and tried to get clipped in as fast as I could but no matter what I did, I could not get my right foot clipped. After struggling for a minute or two I decided that I was losing too much time and just hammered away anyway... about 30 seconds later Sarah came flying past me. The chase is on.... but I made it 2.32 pedal strokes before my legs said, "Oh no you di'nt." Yeah, she was a goner. :) My legs were on fire, but I hammered away as best as I could anyway.
So after fighting with my pedal for 25 minutes, I FINALLY got clipped in. Not long after that I came around the Z-turn corner and saw some dude laying on the ground holding his head and not moving, his bike about 10 feet away. That was one of those moments that I thought about how much my legs hurt and how badly I wanted to rest, but looking at that guy made me realize that things can always be a whole lot worse than they are (so shut the f* up and HTFU).

Turbo-charge the engine, find a sugar daddy to buy me race wheels, and HTFU. :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Nothing eventful here... in, out, and on my way.

Oh, trixie and jazzwithnumbers yelled at me so loud coming in to T2 it almost knocked me off the bike.

Do it faster.
Run
  • 49m 32s
  • 5 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt okay for most of the run, although it was painful try to trudge up some of those hills. There were a few that I just had to back off of... running wasn't going to happen without falling flat on my face. I ran with slick (MI BTer) for most of the course and after a few minutes, it was pretty clear that both of us were hating life at that moment.
It was really hot during this run. I drank at all of the aid stations and even managed to get some water over my head to try to cool down. Toward the end of the run, the trail stops and starts back toward transition. I started getting the hot chills like I did training for Redman last year. Uh oh. Talk about a weird feeling.

Remember to take the hand-held bottle out of the freezer and put it with the rest of the gear so that it actually makes it to the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Chowed, chatted, high-fived, cheered, mingled, rested, and generally enjoyed the rest of the day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My slow ass.

Event comments:

YAY!

Last updated: 2008-04-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:04 | 880 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/23
Overall: 0/417
Performance: Good
Suit: trixie-style
Course: Out and back triangle swim
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:44:08 | 14.3 miles | 19.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/23
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly little ride around the lake. Most of it was spent dodging potholes.
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:32 | 05 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/23
Performance: Average
Course: Potowatami trail. Ow.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-10 8:47 AM

User image

Subject: Ann Arbor Triathlon

2008-06-10 9:04 AM
in reply to: #1456409

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Ann Arbor Triathlon

nice job for the 1st tri of the season! no doubt my speed rubbed on you, lol

Congrats!

2008-06-10 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
AWESOME RACE! You really turned it up a notch out there, I'm so proud!

Haha, I can't believe you forgot the frozen water bottle in the freezer- we talked about that thing for like half the ride saturday

Your season is going to ROCK! Can't wait to race/train with you more!!
2008-06-10 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Congrats on your first race this year!  Great way to warm up for the year with that 4th place finish! Cool
2008-06-10 4:00 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Awesome race, Robyn!!  I wish my arse was as "slow" as yours!    
See you at Big Fish.
2008-06-11 3:34 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Apparently, your whole race was "trixiefied'-- solid times all around! Congrats on a great race.

2008-06-12 8:13 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan
Dude.  CONGRATS! You're awesome.  Trixified.....LOL!!
2008-06-15 6:40 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Great job, sis! 

Your reports are an adventure with plenty of humor and self-deprecation.  I am much like you on the swim, I suck at it, too, but I don't think that I'll ever be Trixified!  Maybe she'll pee in my swimsuit? Hmmmmmmmm.....

I'm sure all the guys didn't mind watching you put on the swimsuit, but no one helped?

Waytagogirl!

2008-06-16 6:56 AM

User image

Elite
Nice race out there.
2008-06-16 8:34 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro