United States
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 04m 20s
Overall Rank = 36/278
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/33
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, ate bowl of oatmeal, had my mug of coffee.

Whizzzzz drove to the race, I semi-napped in the passenger seat.

Got the race, started getting everything all setup for the race.

Saw a few people that I knew and said hello to them.
Event warmup:

Took a gel about 20 min before the swim start.

Saw another Blazeman Warrior ( said hello, turns out he's BTer too! HAH! ).

Wandered down by the beach to finish getting my wetsuit on and get in the water.

About 5 minutes of swimming to get blood flowing.

It's a mass start, and last year I got caught out of position at the start and had to make up 100 yds just to get up to the front. I made sure that didn't happen this
Swim
  • 35m 52s
  • 1920 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swam fairly easy for the most part. Didn't go out and hammer this.

Was just behind the first large pack starting the second loop. And I had some annoying drafters who kept hitting my feet. So I put on a bit of surge and bridged up to get on some feet at the back of this pack. Was able to do that, but they weren't swimming straight, so I stopped drafting them and just on my own.

Drafting could have been better, I think I should have gone a bit faster at the start to get into a better swim pack than where I ended up. Overall, not bad, as I was pretty relaxed for 90% of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Go for a better position in the first leg, so I have more draft targets.

I did purposely swim easier, trying to not drill myself on the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

We had to put bike shoes on in T1. We weren't allowed to leave them clipped in. I think this was worse than leaving them clipped in. Right out of transition there's a slight incline, so people were now having to clip themselves in while going uphill, instead of being able to pedal right away with their feet on top of their shoes.

I didn't rush this, I wanted to see if I could avoid the usual huge HR spike that I see in T1. I went slow, and still spiked HR. So, if HR is gonna spike, I may just as well go fast. :)
Bike
  • 2h 40m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.99 mile/hr
Comments:

Windy. Very windy. I was expecting it to be windy, but this exceeded the forecast 10-15 mph.

It picked up as the morning progressed. Was a tail/cross-wind on the way out, and a stronger head/cross-wind on the return. It hurt more than helped, especially the longer you were out there.

One brief shower on the bike, but I thought I was going to be lucky and not get rained on before I finished. I could see lightning flashes out of the corner of my eye, and ominous dark clouds, but they seemed like they were holding off long enough that I could sneak in before they hit.

I was wrong.

About 2-3 miles from the end of the bike the sky opened up. We're not just talking a little rain. This was a torrential downpour, with a ferocious cross-wind. I was running with a disk cover and 404 front, so the wind was pushing me around. I couldn't see through the curtains of water, and the rain was coming down so hard it was stinging when it hit my arms and face. It may have been hail, I don't know. It just hurt.

I very nearly stopped, but there was no cover to seek, so I just plowed on ahead. If I looked down, I could see where the road was, and the rain didn't hurt my face, so I just plugged away. Figured the faster I was done, the faster I could get out of the rain.

Push harder into the wind. It's hard mentally, especially when the wind comes on the return leg of the bike.

As it was, I put in a fairly solid bike. Not as fast as last year, but the conditions were a *lot* worse.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

If it had still been raining the way it was just a few minutes before, I wouldn't have started the run. As it was, I nearly threw in the towel ( which was soaking wet ). As I was coming in though, the squall blew through, and though everything was soaked, it wasn't raining at that specific moment.

So, I poured the rainwater out of my run shoes, put them on, grabbed my visor, race number, and fuel belt and took off out of T2.

Not much, just everything being soaked, it took me a little bit longer in T2 than normal.
Run
  • 1h 44m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Based on my swim and bike splits, I calculated that I needed to run a 1:40 or better to PR. Probably doable, but I would have had to really really hurt to get it done. With CdA in 2 weeks time, I didn't want to destroy myself. So I dialed back a bit, and ran what I felt would be about right for IM effort level on the run. Mostly zone1/2, with some zone3 efforts on the hills. I kept an even HR and pace throughout the entire run ( slowing a bit on the uphills, but making it back on the downhills/flats ). A very solid run, and I never felt like I was digging deep. I felt strong, and like I had some extra reserve in the tank, even at the end.

I did tap into it a bit during mile 5'ish, as I was running with a few other people, and I wanted to put a gap into them. So I kicked it up a notch for about 1/2 mile, running at a hard effort, and gapped them.

A few people passed me, but some of them blew up on the big hills and I reeled them back in and passed most of them back before the finish.

Made it to the finish, nobody else within sight, so in true Blazeman Warrior style, I logrolled across the finish line!

This ended up being my fastest HIM run split ever. And the effort level for it was much easier than any of my previous efforts. My running is *really* coming on strong this year.

It rained during the run, so I didn't have much problem staying cool, but I probably should have drank a bit more. I was a little dehydrated at the end of the race. The rain makes it hard to realize you're still sweating/losing fluids.

I also have to give a shout to Smartwool socks. Those things saved me. My feet did not have a single blister, despite running the entire half marathon in soaking wet shoes. My feet were very pruney, but

Not have a full IM 2 weeks after the race, so that I can feel comfortable letting loose at full speed.
Post race
Warm down:

I logrolled ( as best I could ) across the finish.

Felt really good. Stretched my calves, then went and got some Quiznos to nom on.

Then went back to the last hill on the run course and cheered in the rest of the finishers coming in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather was a big factor, obviously.

I also didn't push myself to the limit, because my A race is CdA in 2 weeks. Not going to risk the full IM just to PR a HIM.

Event comments:

This is the second year for Rockman ( both for the race, and for me ).

The day was an RD's nightmare, with the weather and storms blowing through. Everything that was in the RD's control was well run. The race started on time ( a pet peeve of mine when they don't ). Transition area is well laid out. The course is challenging, especially on the run, but we don't do this because it's easy.

There were a lot volunteers who braved the elements to keep the race going. I made sure to say thank you to every one of them that I saw on the run course. They were wet and cold, but they had smiles on, and kept us fed and hydrated.

I plan to be back for the 3rd running of the race next year, and will see what I can do to take a chunk out of my 4:59 PR on this course. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Though short of a tornado actually hitting transition, I don't see how it could possibly be any worse. :)

Last updated: 2008-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:52 | 1920 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 0/278
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Two loops around Olsen Lake.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:40:05 | 56 miles | 20.99 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back to the North and East.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:44:56 | 13.1 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: A hilly hilly run through beautiful Rock Cut State Park. The hills had hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-10 9:14 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Subject: Rockman Half Ironman

2008-06-10 9:50 AM
in reply to: #1456494

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Subject: RE: Rockman Half Ironman

Great Race!

I was out there in that weather, and there was no way I wanted to be racing.  My favorite line: "As it was, I nearly threw in the towel ( which was soaking wet )"  With that run, you have to be happy you didn't.  Very solid especially for z1/z2.  I would be afraid if I was CdA.  Very afraid.

2008-06-10 10:08 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
nice race on tough conditions! good to see you didn't 'race' it having CdA 2 weeks out cuz we want you to kill at that race!
2008-06-10 12:49 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Nice race in very bad conditions.

Sorry we didn't have HEED at our run course aid station when you got there.  I'm just glad you didn't break down and cry about it. 

2008-06-10 1:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Very impressive race!  I don't think I would have had the balls of iron to make it through the elements. 
2008-06-10 1:55 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Awesome, awesome job!!  I don't know if I could have made it through the bike with that kind of weather - excellent work getting through that.

2008-06-10 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
WOW! Crappy conditions! Great to see you gut it out. Can't wait to see what you do at CdA!
2008-06-10 5:51 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
While I was in SF I was thinking and worrying about those of you scheduled to race with severe thunderstorms in the forecast. I'm glad you made it through safely.

An amazing job in tough conditions. You're going to be awesome at CdA!
2008-06-10 9:54 PM

User image

, North Carolina

You are definitely the rock when it comes to handling tough situations.  It seems like there's always something like downpours, wind, earthquakes, or travel issues that follow you from race to race.  You still strut your stuff and come out solid.  I will, however, always check to see if you're registered before I sign up for a race. 

2008-06-11 7:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Sweet race!  I can't wait to see how you tear up CdA!
2008-06-13 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
I knew conditions were going to be tough for you -- for everything that mother nature threw your way, you still managed a more-than-respectable race time!  Heck, most people would kill for those kinds of splits...  

2008-06-14 3:51 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Great race, Chris! I agree that Smartwool socks are the shiznit. I won't wear anything else!

Kick some arse at CdA!

Tom

2008-06-16 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Dude you absolutely KICKED A$$ in those conditions!!  CdA is going to BOW to you.  Only 5 minutes behind a PR while battling a HURRICANE.  Awesome is such an understatement.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rockman Half Ironman Rss Feed