General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Help Finding Tri Shorts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-10 9:49 AM

User image

Fargo, ND
Subject: Need Help Finding Tri Shorts

After an incredibly uncomfortable bike portion of a race on Sunday I have decided that I should start the search in earnest for a pair of Tri shorts or bike shorts with a thinner pad.

My discomfort was caused by the flatlock seams of my compression shorts being stuffed up my nether regions. I had applied sport shield prior to the race to try and mitigate this to some degree but it didn't help.

I am a 42-44 waist. So any suggestions of brands would be more than welcome.

JAU

2008-06-10 9:54 AM
in reply to: #1456606

New user
Urbandale, IA
Subject: RE: Need Help Finding Tri Shorts
I got a pair of profile design from the local bike store owner. He too is a "man of stature" and said the sizing is pretty accurate.

So my whole race getup is Profile Design - 2xl top with XL shorts. I run in the 42-44 ish range on the waste.... err waist.

They are comfortable, they dry fast, they are solid black so no looking like a two-tone old car and they have neat little pockets on the side for gu or snickers bars or what not (kidding on the snickers bars).

http://www.profile-design.com/clothing/triathlon-specific-clothing/...

here are the exact ones I purchased:
http://www.trisports.com/profile-design-mens-comp-tri-short-pockets...

just not from that store!

I am very pleased - one day the rain and floods will stop and I might actually get to do a tri in them instead of training in them!
2008-06-10 10:30 AM

User image

Fargo, ND

AWESOME thank you so much for the tip! I had no idea they made clothing!

JAU

2008-06-10 1:09 PM
in reply to: #1456736

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
I've got a 40-42 inch waist and I've been using the 2XU brand.  They have held up very well.
2008-06-10 5:10 PM
in reply to: #1457263

User image

Expert
I wear a pair of Pearl Izumi tri shorts that I bought at www.performancebike.com. I found them to be extremely comfortable. Hope this helps.
2008-06-10 5:21 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH
Louis Garneu works for me.

2008-06-12 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
I found a pair of Tyr XLs that fit my now-40 waist decently. Only problem was they were the last pair on the rack. They claimed to be "unisex" but the 2-inch wide color stripe down each side is lilac (light purple). I think they definitely look girlie, but I ride and run with shorts over them, because I'm just not willing to subject my body on the public quite yet -- except at the pool.

I figure if I do well, I can now place in either clydesdale or athena divisions!
2008-06-12 10:31 AM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

for pure cycling MAKE THE SWITCH TO BIBS>>>>>  WAAAAYYYYYYYYYY more comfortable than bike shorts, no roll over around the waste...look what pros wear, they dont' wear cycling shorts they wear BIBS!!!  Both performance and nashbar have bibs that will fit (XXL) and they're relatively cheap.

aerotechdesigns.com has big/tall cycling gear.  i spoke to the company owner and they will even make a set of their bibs with a tri pad in it.  All you have to do when ordering is put in the comments section that you would like the cycling pad replaced with their tri pad.  This would allow you to have something like Desoto's 400 bib short, which you can use for tris.

But dude, if your cycling make the switch to bibs you wont go back!

2008-06-12 10:54 AM

User image

Fargo, ND

For pure cycling I have heard the virtues of the bib extolled often. I have two major hesitations when if comes to using them on a Tri.

1. I have a gut, keg, spare tire, around my midriff. I assume this will effect the fit.
  2. I generally swim without a shirt and put a jersey on during the transition ... swimming in bibs without a top seems ... I dunno ... odd.

For cycling though I would definitely be open to considering them.

JAU

2008-06-12 1:35 PM
in reply to: #1462256

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
BackOfTheBus - 2008-06-12 11:54 AM

For pure cycling I have heard the virtues of the bib extolled often. I have two major hesitations when if comes to using them on a Tri.

1. I have a gut, keg, spare tire, around my midriff. I assume this will effect the fit.
  2. I generally swim without a shirt and put a jersey on during the transition ... swimming in bibs without a top seems ... I dunno ... odd.

For cycling though I would definitely be open to considering them.

JAU

I'm 5'11" and 250 (on a good day) 44( if I suck in my gutt) waist.  I'm going to order the bib from aerotech and have them put in the tri pad.  Here's my thinking.   I'm the same as you, I like to put something over my...well... larger than normal gutt to ride and run..  The idea of me smushing my body into a tri suit makes me think of 12 pounds of ground pork jammed into a small sausage casing, not pretty for spectators.  I know, I know what do I care what others think...If I'm mentally uncomfortable that directly equates to my performance. So if I think everyone is looking at my massive gut and saying "what is that guy doing wearing that"  any confidence I have gained from being out there is instantly lost.

I hate bike shorts and tri shorts for that matter, because of my gutt the waist band is constantly rolling over and I'm constantly tugging at them.  ON the other hand I LOVE riding in bibs, ultimately comfortable!

I saw Desoto makes a bib, I think they call it their 400 Bib, and they put a smaller pad in it and claim it can be used for tris.  I thought: "great solves the problem, I can have the comfort of a bib and throw a technical top on over it to run and ride"...like most companies not made in my size.

I'll give the aerotech tri bib thing a try and let you know what I think.

2008-06-12 1:46 PM
in reply to: #1462256

User image

Regular
Houston, TX

When I started cycling at 340+ lbs., I wore a pair of men's bibs.  I have to say that the best thing about them was that they didn't roll down around my midriff area and I carried all my weight in the middle.  In fact, they fit better and kept things smoother. I just wore my sports bra underneath and my bike jersey on top. 

I've purchased from Aerotek before.  In fact, they customized my first 4x cycling jersey... I have a soft spot for them since they were so accommodating and sensitive to my needs.  Mt. Borah was pretty good about this too.

Maybe you could find a tri top to wear with the bibs?  Maybe Aerotek can actually make something for you that is more form fitting for less drag in the water?   

2008-06-12 6:45 PM

Regular
maryland
I'm 6'4/275 pounds....despite my sign in name; I wear a 42 inch waist & use DeSoto XXL tri shorts...do a search on E-Bay & you can pick them up for $30 plus $6 or $7 for S&H.

They're great & have out lasted the more expensive ones I've purchased through my club (Louis Garneau as a matter of fact). The LG's are huggers too, if you catch my drift, & those were XXXL's.
2008-06-22 5:17 PM

User image

Expert
Decatur

I'm a woman. But can someone tell me what a bib is?

<---new to the tri world

1st tri on August 10th

2008-06-22 6:44 PM

User image

Fargo, ND

I just recieved my tri shorts in the mail this weekend. I will be testing them out on training rides this week and possibly a few swims if I can get out to the lakes.

Pure comedy gold is stuffing your shorts with a sock when you try them out for your significant other. Just saying :-)

I went with the 2XU and the XXL fit just fine.

2008-06-23 3:32 PM
in reply to: #1481554

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
latrina - 2008-06-22 6:17 PM

I'm a woman. But can someone tell me what a bib is?

<---new to the tri world

1st tri on August 10th

Bibs are cycling apparel,(although some companies do make tri bibs), they are a one piece item, if you can picture a wrestlers singlet, kinda like that.  If you don't know what a wrestling singlet ia, picture bike shorts attached to a tank top.  It's all one piece.  the benefit is that if you have any type of a gut, or you find yourself constantly pulling at the back of your bike shorts because they roll down, you eliminate this with cycling bibs.  And yes there are girl bibs and boy bibs to accomodate...certain...well...anotomical differences on the upper body.

I find them way more comfortable than shorts.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Help Finding Tri Shorts Rss Feed