General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone had Total Knee Replacement? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-10 8:38 PM

User image

Subject: Anyone had Total Knee Replacement?
I'm only 26, and I've been training since January for my first Tri in September. (I haven't gotten into logging my workouts yet, but am following the balanced 3,3,3 16 week workout for a sprint). I had an accident when I was 6 years old. Our glass shower door exploded and cut my knee down to the bone and I got a staph infection. Years later in high school, I tore the meniscus on both sides, and they couldn't be repaired, so they were removed. They said that I had 3rd degree degenerative chrondosis, meaning all the covering on the bone was crumbling due to the infection as a child. I have had the synvisc injections once and and working on a second set after approval from insurance. I have a bad feeling that it's not going to work this time. I can't go 3 running steps without hopping around like a maniac from pain. I do my current "running" on the elliptical.

I was wondering if anyone has had a Total Knee Replacement surgery, and more importantly if they've had it at a young age. I have been looking at some mobile bearing knees that are marketed more towards younger, more active people. I don't want a TKR to interfere with my life, but at this point, I can't even play soccer with my kids.

TIA!
Sarah
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone had Total Knee Replacement? Rss Feed