Redondo Beach, California
United States
TC Tri Productions, LLC
Total Time = 1h 14m 56s
Overall Rank = 354/446
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 26/28
Pre-race routine:

For some reason my alarm didn't go off at 4:40 (or I didn't hear it, which is plausible, or my wife didn't hear it, which isn't), but I woke up at 5:08 anyway, which still left plenty of time.

Had peanut butter & a banana for breakfast, picked up coffee & had a Clif bar & some Gatorade on the way. Parked in the parking structure at the pier and used the facilities there, then unloaded the car. Got to the transition area by about 6-ish, so I still had plenty of time to get set up.
Event warmup:

Little bit of light jogging just to get heart rate up, then got into my wetsuit and did a short swim (which turned out to be my best swimming of the day...)
Swim
  • 27m 40s
  • 879 yards
  • 03m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

Oh, the horror, the horror... (well, but on the other hand, not nearly as bad as Chris's IMAZ swim story).

This is the first time I've raced in a wetsuit, and by far my WORST SWIM EVER. Freestyle about 3/4 of the way out to the first buoy, and then I just couldn't breath. Breaststroked with a little bit of backstroke and sidestroke the rest of the way. About the only good thing to say about it is that I DIDN'T QUIT. And, I don't think I was the last guy in my wave out of the water, so I guess I've got a decent breaststroke.

What would you do differently?:

Don't know if it's mental or physical, but the wetsuit is killing me. I've done a couple of training open water swims in it which were certainly different than without a wetsuit, but nothing like as bad as this race.

I guess I've just got to train more in it over the next several weeks, and then decide if I want to use it or not for Camp Pendleton.
Transition 1
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

First time racing in a wetsuit, didn't use any Bodyglide but still didn't have too much trouble getting out of it. Overall not my best transition but not too terrible.
Bike
  • 20m 49s
  • 6 miles
  • 17.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Better results with my other new piece of gear, Motobecane Le Champion Ti. Quite a difference from my old steel Nishiki--loving the light weight and integrated shifters. I still got passed by the really fast folks on the really hot bikes, but got around OK.

Still could have/should have pushed a bit harder.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

No particular problems--average transition.
Run
  • 20m 53s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Nothing special on the run. Past races I've usually had some minor calf cramps, but nothing this time--maybe the extra Gatorade before the race helped.

Again, should have gone a bit harder, but I did pretty much attack the little hill at the end and finish strong.

Picked up the pace a bit more, especially in the second mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung around for a little bit, had a banana & some water, then went to meet the folks at Rocky Cola. Had a very fun brunch with Yanti, Harold & Melissa (thanks again!)--it was good to meet some of the folks from the board.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Frickin wetsuit. Well, plus training and pushing harder.

Last updated: 2008-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:40 | 879 yards | 03m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 0/446
Performance: Bad
Suit: Xterra Ventilator
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:20:49 | 06 miles | 17.29 mile/hr
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:53 | 02 miles | 10m 26s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-11 2:58 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
Subject: Toyota Redondo Beach Triathlon

2008-06-11 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1460435

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Toyota Redondo Beach Triathlon

Great job, Tim!

It was great having brunch with you--you are so friendly and very funny. Thanks for putting up with my shenanigans.

Sorry about the wetsuit--although the swim was pretty tough anyway, it seemed like a lot of swells and it was just LONG.

Nice speed on your new bike, too!

2008-06-13 11:27 PM
in reply to: #1460435

User image

Long Beach
Subject: RE: Toyota Redondo Beach Triathlon
Good job on the Tri. I know that feeling of the first time in a wetsuit, but as you said YOU DID IT! Congrats again.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota Redondo Beach Triathlon Rss Feed