Tricalifornia
60+F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 23m 37s
Overall Rank = 1095/1619
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 17/37
Pre-race routine:

Stopped training Tuesday before the Sunday event. Rested Wednesday. Drove Portland OR to SF Thursday. Slept nearly all day Friday because of a head cold. Fought off the demons of defeatism and won. Friday walked part of the running course to identify the places I would walk. This was part of my race plan because I had only 5 weeks to train because of an injury. This was my 3rd Triathlon and the first in 2 years. I used a carefully constructed training program that worked. I used a high calorie liquid diet (plus a bagel) on the day before the race.
I got up a 4:30. Perfect weather. I was well rested and ready.
Event warmup:

My age group was directed to arrive at 6 AM, but I was a first timer so they wanted us there at 5 AM. I look forward to the next time and arriving at 6 AM.
I did a lot of stretching.
Swim
  • 31m 35s
  • 2640 yards
  • 01m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm a swimmer but suffered a spiral fracture of my scapula in late February. I swam strong but measured. I didn't think much about the swim before hand, I was so fearing the run. I swam alone and did not draft. This suited me fine. I had to pass literally hundreds of swimmers. Lucky for me I was up-current and they had formed an echelon. It made it easy
They advised us to sight on the tower. I did but ended having to swim down current 100 yds before I could get out. I doubt this caused me to lose much time. This was only the second time I had ever worn a wetsuit. It worked great, but in combination with the buoyancy of salt water, sometimes I felt I was bobbing like a float. I came out of the water refreshed and energized. I had lots of fun.
What would you do differently?:

Wear more clothes onto the boat and trust that my bag gets back to me (it did). Put my wetsuit on the boat as we headed out for the swim, not before. Take a more aggressive direct line to the finish. Ignore the request to go to the second floor of the boat, and just try to get be one of the earliest starters. Train more.
Transition 1
  • 10m 7s
Comments:

Ran the 1K warmup poorly, which I expected. I stopped to talk to my 8 year old son.

Nothing except train for the run more. I lost a minute or 2 talking with my son at the bike transition, but I wouldn't change that. It was one of the highlights of the race for me.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 52s
  • 18 miles
  • 14.24 mile/hr
Comments:

I am a reasonably good cyclist when I have been training for a few months; and I enjoy climbing. I took it very slow because I wanted to save a lot for the run. It was part of my race plan.

Train more, especially on hills. Otherwise none. I followed my race plan and it worked.
Transition 2
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

I stopped again for a minute to talk with my son. I loved it, especially when I said to him that everyone was running away, and asked if I should chase them.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 23m 16s
  • 8 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I survived. An experience in pain tolerance. It was ugly, but I finished. I stuck to my race plan, and walked everything I had decide to the day before. Complete, not compete was my motto.
I sprinted the last 100 yds. to the finish, my second favorite part of the race. Talking to my son was my favorite.

Train more. I'll never be a great runner, but I am a lot better than I was that day.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to my son. Put my medal around his neck. Need I say more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Early season injury and subsequent shortened training period. Wasn't able to include intensity in my workouts because of lack of fitness and fear of overtraining.

Event comments:

I followed my pre-race plan and it worked perfectly. I loved this race and can't wait to go back. With 3 months of training I seriously think could cut 20+ minutes from my time. I would love to have the opportunity to try.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:35 | 2640 yards | 01m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/37
Overall: 148/1619
Performance: Below average
Current perpendicular to swim greatly shortens distance.
Suit: Zoot Z1
Course: Reasonably good conditions. They were better an hour earlier. I never thought I would wish a race started at 7 AM, but I wished this one did.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 57F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:52 | 18 miles | 14.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/37
Overall: 1242/1619
Wind: None
Course: Hilly, but that was OK. No sustained climbs.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:23:16 | 08 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/37
Overall: 1182/1619
Sand ladder time 4:18. I walked. Again this was a part of my game plan.
Course: Flat - Hilly - Flat
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-11 7:25 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Subject: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon

2008-06-11 7:49 PM
in reply to: #1461105

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon
Congratulations on the finish!!  Great job on making it back through the injury and getting here.  So, when do we get to hear the body surfing story?
2008-06-11 9:58 PM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD
I love that you stopped to talk to your son a couple times during the race and really enjoyed yourself.  If your avatar is from last weekend, I think I remember seeing you come down the finish chute because you finished just a few minutes ahead of turtlegirl.  I was the crazy cowbell lady on the right just before the bleachers.  Good job on staying discliplined and racing the race your way.  I hope you get in again and rip it up next time.
2008-06-11 11:13 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA

Great job on the race.  You should be very proud of your performance. What a great swim you had!

It is a wonderful course and loved cheering you guys on.

2008-06-12 2:24 PM
in reply to: #1461159

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

Artemis - 2008-06-11 7:49 PM Congratulations on the finish!!  Great job on making it back through the injury and getting here.  So, when do we get to hear the body surfing story?

Thanks. Body surfing? I promised to try not to mention it. . . . .  but since you asked - not much to tell. Small surf, freak rebound wave from shore sucked out all the water in front of me. Hit the bottom with the back of my shoulder - a big THUD.

Edited by E=H2O 2008-06-12 2:25 PM
2008-06-12 2:28 PM
in reply to: #1461425

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

MelissaE - 2008-06-11 9:58 PM I love that you stopped to talk to your son a couple times during the race and really enjoyed yourself.  If your avatar is from last weekend, I think I remember seeing you come down the finish chute because you finished just a few minutes ahead of turtlegirl.  I was the crazy cowbell lady on the right just before the bleachers.  Good job on staying discliplined and racing the race your way.  I hope you get in again and rip it up next time.

Yes the avatar was from the race. So you were the nut with the cowbell. My ears are still ringing. Seriously I loved it. It just added to the excitement of the finish. My wife and son were directly across from you and clearly remember seeing you.

2008-06-12 2:32 PM
in reply to: #1461551

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
wieczynski - 2008-06-11 11:13 PM

Great job on the race.  You should be very proud of your performance. What a great swim you had!

It is a wonderful course and loved cheering you guys on.

Thanks. One of the best part of this race was the huge number of people cheering us on. In many places they were very close and gave me the feeling that they were rooting on each person individually and not just as a group. I wish I could personally thank each person that helped me through the run.

2008-06-12 7:14 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Awesome race! Great swim and it's great that you were so comfortable in the water on such a tough swim!
2008-06-13 2:36 PM

User image

Expert

Congratulations on an excellent race.  You did great, especially considering you are recovering from an injury.

That is so nice that your son was there and you were able to talk to him during the race. The only thing that could have made the day better for me would have been having my family there.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon Rss Feed