Midwest Sports Events
67F / 19C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 30m 14s
Overall Rank = 160/384
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/21
Pre-race routine:

Higher carb dinner previous two nights. Got up around 4:20 after a slightly restless night of less than 6 hrs sleep. Had coffee, banana, oatmeal, bagel w/cream cheese, 12oz Gatorade, 16oz water spread out. Went for a 15 min walk when I got up, tried to focus on relaxing the shoulders and breathing from the gut 9instead of chest). Got to site about 6:00.
Event warmup:

5 min bike, 3-4 min run, no swim. Arm windmills, quad stretch, little calf stretches. I *have* to work on warming up to help prevent cramps. At least this was more than my first race where I did no warmup. Too much into the atmosphere and watching the time to focus on warming up.
Swim
  • 06m 29s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Horrible start for me. Running, then trying to swim but couldn't because of the crowd of runners up to their waist, then trying to dive/swim which caused my breating to get out of whack. The undercurrent through me off so I thought I had to use more energy to go against it. Hardly could see from the silt kicked up. By the time I was able to swim I barely could breathe and had to float on my back twice. When swimming, I noticed I was kicking way too much and breathing every stroke. By the last 200yds I had settled in a bit but rounded the platform wide so I ended up hitting runners and the bottom with my hand. I swam back towards the center to get clear and once in rhythm it was time to stand up. I walked/jogged to shore to regain my breating and bearings.
What would you do differently?:

Run until I find an open space to swim. Calm myself and focus on breathing and relaxing to get into a rhythm.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

156/384 for T1. I don't understand why I'm slow in T1. Started to jog out of the water, was slightly held up by the crowd. Wetsuit came off without undue stress. Shoes went on fine. Maybe the socks? I picked up and ran with the bike to mounting area. I thought I was under 2min.

Maybe not wear a wetsuit, or socks?
Bike
  • 48m 30s
  • 16.5 miles
  • 20.41 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought I did very well for not focusing on speed for 2 weeks before the race. Roads in good shape with little traffic. Started cramping in my calves about the 5 mile mark. Cramping really took hold once I started to slow down and then stopped me for a few seconds at dismount. Rain wasn't too much of a burden and I handled corners well.

Focus on pedaling technique and swim-to-bike transition and more stretching. Was not electrolyte induced as the same thing happened in another race, but doesn't happen in bike-to-run brick workouts.
Transition 2
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

361/384 overall. Severe cramps off the bike and in T2. Couldn't get bike shoes off due to cramps. Stretched as much as I could. Standing up caused more cramps. Got out of T2 very stiff.

Practice swim-to-bike transitions, go a little slower to start the bike, slow down and stretch about 1/2 mi to T2.
Run
  • 30m 3s
  • 3.19 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off walking and stopping to stretch calves. Painful. Did a 3-4 min run then 30sec-1min walk system after the first hlaf mile. I had the energy, but felt HR spiking. Rain didn't help when trying to feel whether I was sweating. Had a decent time considering my predicament. Fellow runner gave me a boost at the end.

Work on stretching and running more.
Post race
Warm down:

Virtually none. Adrenaline was high so I jogged for a couple of minutes. Started to get cold because of the rain so just stood in the food area for a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to do more intervals, focus on pedaling, transitions and stretching. Isn't that everything?

Event comments:

I thought I "raced" it for the swim and the bike. Cramps really defalted my physical and mental effort in the run. Food was okay. No port-a-johns close to transition. Tight in/out transition areas for swim and bike. Odd finish line and swag. I'd probably race again for PR or try the long course.

Last updated: 2008-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:29 | 400 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/21
Overall: 115/384
Performance: Below average
Suit: Quintana Roo Ultrafull Fullsleeve
Course: Manmade beach pond. Shallow for first 75yds, could swim at about 50yds, lots of silt/sand kicked up by others. There seemed to be an undercurrent from the filtration system. You need to round the diving platform tight or you could swim directly into the shore. Generally crowded.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:48:30 | 16.5 miles | 20.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/21
Overall: 94/384
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Flat. Warehouse, residential and farmland areas. Any small hills were conquered by momentum.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:54
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:30:03 | 03.19 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/21
Overall: 224/384
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat and somewhat scenic along the river path. All paved. Sometimes crowded. Finish is at the end of a slight incline.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-12 11:39 AM

Extreme Veteran
WI
Subject: Green Bay Triathlon

2008-06-12 6:59 PM
in reply to: #1462420

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Green Bay Triathlon
Congrats on the race. I have done others and this is certainly not my favorite. The long course was fun except for the rain so keep that in mind.  Nice job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Green Bay Triathlon Rss Feed