General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Combining Marathon Training and Tri Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-12 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mercer Island, WA
Subject: Combining Marathon Training and Tri Training
I have decided to run the Portland Marathon on October 5. My sixteen week training program will begin next week.

In the interim, I have a tri July 20, August 17, and September 7, and numerous 5ks.

Has anyone trained for an early fall marathon while balancing tri training? I have done two half marys without really training for them, but I am not going to be able to pull that off when I double the distance...any help is appreciated!

2008-06-12 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1462539

User image

Expert
Newton, MA
Subject: RE: Combining Marathon Training and Tri Training
How long are the tri's that you're doing? This should be very doable for you, assuming they're not IM's.
2008-06-12 12:14 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by surfwallace 2008-06-12 12:16 PM
2008-06-12 12:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
Mercer Island, WA
They are all sprints.
2008-06-12 12:25 PM

I'm doing the same thing you're doing. I'm starting an Oly plan, leading up to my first Oly on Sept 7th. Doing a couple of sprints in there somewhere. Then no more races until the Marine Corps Marathon on October 26th. Basically, all I'm doing is subsituting the mileage for each day on the corresponding run day on my Oly plan - a few weeks, I have to adjust in order to fit stuff in, but we'll see how it goes.
2008-06-12 12:50 PM

Expert
Big Bear City, California
I recently trained for a marathon while doing two Olympic triathlons during my training. Main focus for me was making sure I got my long runs in and replacing some of the intermediate midweek runs with bike and swim workouts. Good luck and have fun.

2008-06-12 12:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
I did exactly what you are doing earlier this year. I chose an entry-level sprint program from beginnertriathlete and modified the run portion to fit with the mileage I needed to do a marathon. So yes, it is very doable.

If you'd like to see how it worked for me feel free to review my logs. However, there are two things I'd recommend you do that I did not. Run more then three times per week if possible, and keep your long run to a reasonable percentage of your weekly total. I could never squeeze in that fourth day of running and I definitely put myself at risk for injury by making my long runs such a high percentage of my volume. Live and learn...

Good luck!

--Chris
2008-06-12 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1462745

Concretechris - 2008-06-12 1:59 PM I did exactly what you are doing earlier this year. I chose an entry-level sprint program from beginnertriathlete and modified the run portion to fit with the mileage I needed to do a marathon. So yes, it is very doable. If you'd like to see how it worked for me feel free to review my logs. However, there are two things I'd recommend you do that I did not. Run more then three times per week if possible, and keep your long run to a reasonable percentage of your weekly total. I could never squeeze in that fourth day of running and I definitely put myself at risk for injury by making my long runs such a high percentage of my volume. Live and learn... Good luck! --Chris

My plan is giving me an off-day almost every Friday - I'll be filling that with my other weekday run from the mary plan - it has 3 weekday runs and 1 long run on the weekend. The Oly plan only has 2 weekday runs and one weekend run. I'm thinking that's probably my best bet, since the weekday runs aren't as long esp. for the first several weeks (3-4 miles tops) and I can always take them easy if I am feeling tired.

2008-06-12 1:50 PM
in reply to: #1462758

Veteran
When your long runs get over 10-12 miles, make sure you take a day off for your legs (ie: swim or rest) afterward to give the swelling time to go down before stressing your joints and feet again. Cycling might be okay for you, but I couldn't do it the day after my long runs. I was also very strict about the next run (usually 2 days later) being EASY and relatively short. Third run was a medium length, easy and the 4th speed or hills.

Enjoy the solitude! It's great mental preparation for long races.
2008-06-12 2:19 PM
in reply to: #1462567

Fishers, IN
I was thinking about this approach. It seems like it is pretty consistent with the running portion of an ordinary triathlete's schedule except Furman doesn't specify the mode of cross training (so we would bike or swim). Sounds perfect, I have Chicago in October so have been dealing with the delima of do I let my tri training slide and focus merely on the run or do I try to doit all? This might be the way to merge the two objectives better in one program.
2008-06-12 2:54 PM

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

What sort of plan are you using for your tris?

I would do whatever the marathon plan called for, drop all running from a tri plan, and do all the other things in the tri plan. Since you're just doing sprint tris, you won't have any long bikes interfering with your long runs. It's possible your current fitness in the bike and swim are enough to carry you through your sprints with only a little maintenance training, which would allow you to focus on the running. My personal experience has been that many marathon programs are woefully short on mileage as it is, so shortchanging yourself in that area may lead to an unpleasant experience.

2008-06-12 6:28 PM

Expert
Hatboro, PA
I'm in almost the same boat. (I have an extra month before my marathon.) HIM in August & Philadelphia Marathon in November. I plan on keeping my mid-week runs the same (2 - 45 minute sessions) and working on making my Saturday long runs progressively longer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Combining Marathon Training and Tri Training Rss Feed