Salt Lake County Parks & Recreation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 3s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up just before six and ate my regular breakfast of honey bunches o' oats... probably not the best pre-race breakfast, but my stomach was used to it, and I've worked out with it before... Had everything all set to go so just jumped in the truck and left... forgot to grab a gatorade for afterwards :( Not the least little nervous, but noticed my legs were a little stiff, hmmm??? It kind of sucked b/c they didn't have bike racks. I was really hoping for bike racks (mainly so I could ask to borrow for our tri)
Event warmup:

Warm-up??? I chit chatted with the daycare coordinator about work while staff were all setting up...
Swim
  • 14m
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

First time in a 50 meter pool... First comment as soon as I jumped in "wow, it's warm" It was BATHWATER warm!!! Then I realized that I hadn't tied my shorts, oops, glad I caught that :) they asked for fast people in the lanes more south and slow people in the lanes more north, so I got in the most northerly lane and there was only one other guy, we could choose which side to start from, just so happened he and I were opposite, didn't need to circle swim, just stuck to our side of the lanes and it all worked out well. I did feel like I had a problem turning enough to get air (weird). Did side stroke more than I would have liked, but didn't really roll-over to backstroke hardly, either... overall, I felt good when I got out. :)
What would you do differently?:

Get tinted goggles, the sun was a little bothersome on my last lap.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

Transition was well, except I forgot my beans behind :(

Open up shoes... I forgot to un-velcro my shoes when setting up my transition area
Bike
  • 42m
  • 12 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

The lap starts off with a slight hill, then more so uphill, it levels, then flies you downhill before going through downtown and back up a slight incline and start over again... The first lap seemed hard, having gearing issues, IT band tight. Once it leveled out I got my breathing under control and started to fly, going downhill the first time was kind of scary, but it's not a big hill ;) Swim coach passed me when I was almost complete with my first lap (or was it second?) The second loop around was probably the best, my gearing was getting better... THe third lap hurt the most going uphill, but I made it and I screamed coming down... Actually passed the swim coach on his run, and passed some ladies on mtn bikes ( I think they were doing the short distance, yes they had a distance shorter than sprint, OMG)

I didn't drink at all, felt good and didn't want to slow down, which I knew I would if I tried to reach for my bottle. Got to get used to drinking on th ebike or get a bottle to hang in between my aerobars.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

Hubby and kids showed up just as I was coming into transition. It was an open area and was kind of cool having my 2yr old by side as I'm changing shoes. Grabbed a sip of water, quickly looked at broken camera :(, grabbed power beans. I had a difficult time getting my socks on :( Guess I need to practice getting socks on damp feet. Also realized that when I threw my sweatshirt off my bike, it knocked over the extra water bottle.

Don't give hubby an ETA, he ended up missing me at the finish line.
Run
  • 34m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

The run course kind of overlapped the bike but in the other direction. It started kind of an uphill climb near the beginning, this really started to play havic on my IT band, I even stopped a couple of times to try and stretch it out. I thought for sure I was the last one in the pack, but I guess we were just really spreadout. Tried singing to self part of the way. Some of the old houses reminded me of back home, tried some visualization. But the IT band was still louder than my mind.

Drink more on the bike to hopefully carry over to run, or actaully have a hydration belt :(
Post race
Warm down:

STRETCH!!!!!!!!!! Hubby brought me a McD's egg,cheese,bacon biscuit and OJ. Kind of sucked that kids missed me at finish line. Only a couple of corworkers were at finish line, but then they were recording times and so they kind of had to be there ;)

Somehow out of all of this I took THIRD in my age group (which ended up being combine 30-39) Perhaps this was because there were only a few of us in my group - I MAY have beat one or two other ladies in.

Never-the-less, now I have a time to beat and a goal to chase... time to heal this )*(*%#*Y%#(*& IT band and start up again next week :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

SICK all of last week :( Then I pushed it on Th and Fri to make sure I was ready, and I think that made it even worse. I should have known better

Event comments:

Well, considering this was my first race ever and WAS put on by the organization I work for I probably really shouldn't complain, BUT a water station at the short course turnaround on the run would have been nice. Better organization of finish line documentation would have been good too. It was hard to tell exactly where you were supposed to go in the morning, there was a big sign that said "registration" that I missed, but even after I thought "I'm already registered, where's check-in"

Last updated: 2008-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:00 | 547 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Pool, same lane
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:42:00 | 12 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: 4 mi laps
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:00 | 03.11 miles | 10m 56s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: sidewalk/street
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-14 9:40 PM

User image

Elite
Utah
Subject: Magna Tri

2008-06-15 9:24 AM
in reply to: #1467050

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Magna Tri

Congratulations on the tri and on hardware!! 

Tip for getting socks on wet feet: when you set up transition, put your socks on and then fold the top over to about the arch of your foot.  Take them off and leave them like that.  When you go to get them on, all you have to get in are your toes and then you can fold the rest over your foot. 

2008-06-15 2:29 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Awesome job on your first tri and HARDWARE to boot!! Terrific!
2008-06-15 4:39 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Congratulations, Triathlete! Hardware your first time out, WOOT! Guess it was worth the wait

2008-06-15 9:40 PM
in reply to: #1467764

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Congratulations! Great job!

Glitter Graphics

Edited by D001 2008-06-15 9:43 PM
2008-06-16 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN
Congrats!! Hardware on your first Tri. Excellent!

2008-06-16 5:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
PODIUM!!!! Yeah! Sweet race, my fellow triathlete Good race report, enjoyed it very much. Sounds like you really got your tri career off to a great start. Hope you remember us little people when you hit the big time! Seriously, though, congrats for fighting through the injury and doing so awesome!
2008-06-16 10:16 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
So are you really hooked now! Great job! Hardware on your first; race can't complain about that.
2008-06-17 5:33 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Super job!  Third in your AG is great for the first or the fiftyth time out.   You should be ecstatic!
2008-06-17 10:01 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-06-17 9:02 PM

Pro
A farming town in MN

Congrats Heather!  Age group award...awesome!

Good luck with healing that IT band.  You'll have a great season...

Does Magna HAVE a downtown?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Magna Tri Rss Feed