General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me find a bike!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-15 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Help me find a bike!!!!

I have borrowed a bike for my first tri in july. i am really enjoying the cycling part of training. if all goes well i will probably do another tri or two. i am not a small woman (well i'm short!) and i don't want to ride a mountain bike. being a teacher, and recently purchasing a sports car (i couldn't help it. i'm a car girl!), my funds are limited. anyone have suggestions on what i should look at??? i won't have funds for purchasing for a couple monthes, but figure i better start looking now because it took me a year to pick out the car and i've been thinking about that purchase since i was six!

Edited by nmp 2008-06-15 10:55 AM

2008-06-15 6:17 PM
in reply to: #1467434

Subject: RE: Help me find a bike!!!!
I'm 5'1" and about 240 lbs. Budget was definitely an issue for me. After getting some advice about what to look for from my trainer, doing a month of research online and visiting a couple of local bike shops and asking a lot of questions, I bought a Giant FCR2. I had thought from my research that I'd end up spending at least $1,000. My bike shop found me last year's model and saved me about $100. It was about $600. (We won't talk about all the extras I bought.) I love my bike, and it is so much more comfortable than I ever thought it could be. My bike shop traded out the seat for something more comfortable for me, and my added a stem and adjusted my handle bars to a more upright position for now. He also traded out the tires for something a little wider. I think the bike shop is almost as important as the bike itself. Good luck in your search!
2008-06-16 9:59 AM

User image

Veteran
thanks for the info. i have just started my inquest and figured who better to talk to than people who are built like me. not to mention everyone on this sight has an opinion and experience i don't have and have nothing to gain from my purchase. i'm in no hurry. just want to make a good desicion when the time comes!!!!
2008-06-16 11:41 AM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

You can find bikes from $400 up to $10,000.  My first suggestion is to set a realistic budget, how much are you willing to spend on the bike.   Then look at the bikes in your budget.

When I was looking for my first road bike, I didn't start with a budget and I found myself looking at succesively more and more expensive bikes.  Once I set a realistic budget the decision became easy.

2008-06-17 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH

X2 on the budget first, shop second.

Buying a bike can present a great number of problems.  Once you set your budget add 20% for the necessary add ons which include mundane things like pedals ($80+), a pump ($40ish), extra tubes, tool kit, underseat bag, CO2, water bottle cages, seat you can actually sit on, etc...

If you walk into a shop without clear boundaries you will end up with the wrong bike.  This is not a possibility this is a rule.  Bike shops work very much like car dealers.

Rule #1 sell whatever crap you have on the floor regardless of any other consideration.

Rule #2 upsell components regardless of actual need (ask any bike shop EVERYONE needs dura ace).

So once you decide on exactly what you want then you can narrow it down.  Search the gear forum and see what people have to say.  The advice in there is pretty good.  Honesty is the best policy when making your decision.     

I see nothing wrong with bikesdirect.com.  Same stuff, no major brand, way less markup. 

2008-06-17 1:22 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

for budget bikes my big rule is please stay out of departments stores. Althought there bikes have gotten better over the years, they just do not hold up the same as store in bike stores as a rule of tumb. I peraonaly love Shimano, affordable and relyable. I happen to like 105 compentry, but not so big a fan of there Sora line. Eitehr way the parts will last.

The biggest thing you can do is find a shop you can trust IMHO. On line deals are plentaful, but they can not realy help you like flesh and blood can. I agree that most shops will push for upgrades, who can blame them. Try figuriing out your budget and subtacting 20%. That gives you some honest wiggle room to add on if you feel you need to. Also ask what is on clearance. Do not buy it just on price, but also because it fits you right.

Good luck on the shopping

2008-06-17 1:59 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

I went with an on-line bike.  Ibex bikes.   I bought a full ultegra bike in 2005 and paid just under $1000.  I figure I saved about $500 from a similar speced bike from one of the named brand brick and mortar stores.  It cost $35 to ship and my local bike shop charged me $40 to unpack, and set up the bike, since I have no mechanical aptitude.

Ibex has a full 30 day money back refund policy.  Their costomer service si great, I called them and they helped me with sizing.  For the price I dont think you can go wrong.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me find a bike!!!! Rss Feed