United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 47m 6s
Overall Rank = 27/117
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/8
Pre-race routine:

Eat a cliff bar and drink some fluids to get ready.
Event warmup:

10 min on the bike to make sure I'm loose and the bike was operating correctly. Couple hundred yards of swimming just before the star.
Swim
  • 32m 51s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

As bad as the weather was in the last race at this course, that's how good it was this time. No waves, great temps. It was really like swimiming in a pool, it was so calm. Found some people to draft for a while, but they ended up going too slow. I was stoked when I noticed I was passing some of the people from the wave before mine.

The course HAD to be longer than it has been in the past. It was set up different from before plus my times have NEVER been that slow on a OWS before. I also did well overall in the swim, because everyone's time were longer.
What would you do differently?:

Try to find someone better to draft off of.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Pretty good transition. First time I was able to step on the wetsuit and get it off while putting on the helmet. It was a instant decision to try that. I never practiced it before. But I had my ankles pretty lubed up due to the last couple races when the suit got caught, so this time it slipped right off.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 31s
  • 25 miles
  • 19.35 mile/hr
Comments:

High Z4 for the race. Felt pretty strong. Attacked the hills a little more this time. Being familiar with the course helped a lot. For the FRIST time, I passed more people that got passed. Usually, I feel like I'm just putzing along when everyone just flys by. I was even passing what looked like some pretty strong bikers. It was good for the ego a little.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Decent Transition... It had a LONG run from the dismount to the racks, so it was about 20-30 seconds longer than typical.
Run
  • 52m 55s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I may have gone out a little too hard on the bike (but that was the plan just to see what happens). I still ran a good 10k, but my legs never really came around. The were like rubber for the first mile and a half or so then I got into a rythm, but never got them back fully. The HR was in Z3 most of the time, and the thought of going to Z4 just hurt.
Post race
Warm down:

Fluids and food and some light stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing - ran a great race. Just need to train to be faster!

Event comments:

I will try to keep this short, since overall, it was a great race for me. I couldn't have done more to be better.

I have to admit, I was NOT fired up about this race at all. The least fired up I have ever been about a race. The last few Oly races I have held back a little, so I decided to go all out this time a see what happened. I was going to cruise on the swim, hammer the bike, and hold on for the run. It worked out just like I planned.

The swim was the swim - pretty much status quo.

On the bike, I kept it in high Z4 for most of the ride and averaged over 19mph! That is the fastest I have EVER averaged on the bike leg! I also moved the seat forward about 3cm a couple weeks ago because it felt like it "needed" to be moved. I really felt more earo and powerful with that small change. Kept me a little more forward and over the bars which allowed me to be over my elbows a little more - very comfortable. I also decided to really attack the hills more and not lose time on them. I know the course well enough by now to realize there is time to recover and still not lose speed on the back side.

My legs felt a little taxed for the run. The HR stayed on Z3 for the run, but I just couldn't get my legs to go any faster. I was not "slow" for my standards (only 30 seconds/mile slower than my open 10k), but I felt like I should have had more energy.

I tend to focus on the negatives too much at times, so I'll be brief. There were not too many negatives this time!

FIRST, I should have gone to the bathroom (#2 - I know that's TMI - but it IS race info for me) before the race. I normaly try to get anything out of my system I can, but didn't feel the need this time. But during the run, I was feeling it - I'm not sure if going before the race would have made me any faster, but just being even 56% more comfortable could have saved a minute.

SECOND, I was passed with one mile to go by someone in my age group (first time all day, that I noticed). It was frustrating to find out, by letting that happen, I was moved from 3rd to 4th in my AG. I had a thought of chasing him down, but my legs had other ideas. I succeeded in keeping up for 1/2 mile, but when he kicked it, he blew me away. I was spent. I checked his 10K pace and he was easily running a min/mile faster than me. He was just a better runner. Oh well.

THIRD. had a brief incident on the bike with a runner. There are jerks, even in triathlon. The run and the bike shared a portion of the same route, so I was flying into T2 (about a mile yet to go) and had to pass runners. They were the sprinters finishing up their race. This really was not a problem because they looked out for me and I looked out for them and would tell them I was comming. However, a couple guys were chatting it up and running side-by-side about 3' apart and moving from left to right and were going to cut me off. I couldn't go to the right because there were other bikers/runners and couldn't go left into oncomming traffic. The whole time I was yelling "HEAD'S UP!!!! On the left!" - even another runner started to say "look out!" to these two guys for what they were doing. They were just off in la-la-land. So I had to brake and yelled "WHOA, WHOA, WHOA, COME ON GUYS!!!!" and zigged though them at the last possible second.

So, one of them yelled back mockingly "WHOA, WHOA, WHOA, the course is open to us too!".

I was thinking, "Yeah, but you HAVE to look over your shoulder if you are going to run into the middle of the bike lanes". If I would have hit one of them at 20mph because I wasn't sure what they were doing, we could have BOTH, been seriously hurt.

I hate it when someone else pulls off an A-hole move, and I say something and they think/call ME an A-hole! Am I out of line here? I know I need to look out for those in front of me when I pass, but come one, they have SOME responsibility to look before cutting right into the bike lane, no?

ANYWAY - set an olympic PR. JUST missed my goal of completeing one in 2:45. Next time!

Last updated: 2008-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:51 | 1640 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 20/117
Performance: Good
AVE. HR for the swim was 155.
Suit: Full
Course: The course HAD to be longer than it has been in the past. It was set up different.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:10
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:17:31 | 25 miles | 19.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 31/117
Ave. HR for the bike was 167.
Wind: Little
Course: Same course for this race as in the past. Good course, but the chip seal surface just rattles the bike and the teeth.....
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:55 | 06.2 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 39/117
Performance: Average
Ave HR was 165.
Course: Out and back on a portion of the bike route.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-15 11:30 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Utah Summer Games

2008-06-15 12:38 PM
in reply to: #1467486

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: RE: Utah Summer Games

Wow!!!!  You did awesome!!!  Congratulations on your oly PR!!!  What an accomplishment!  I think it really helped you to be slightly unmotivated going into the race because you stayed relaxed.  Good job.

No, you are not out of line with regards to the runners.  They knew that the course would be shared by both cyclists and runners so they should have had the common courtesy to stay out of the way.  You had every right to swear at them.  Sorry they were jackies and swore back at you.

2008-06-15 2:21 PM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Good work Jim.  I don't know much about the swim, but the bike time was real strong and the run was pretty darn good too for a 10K.

Maybe you learned something useful by pushing the bike a bit harder.  You'll loose some time on the run, but not as much as you bank from the stronger ride.

Nice improvement.  My race report to come probably tomorrow.

2008-06-15 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
Great job with your race! Sorry you had to deal with some idiots out there on the race course, glad no one got hurt.
2008-06-16 9:06 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Nice race mate!  Learning lessons are always great.  I'm like you.  It was almost like I was reading my RR from Saturday.  I too wanted to hammer the bike and see what would happen on the run. 
2008-06-16 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Congrats on your PR!!!

2008-06-16 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Good job dude.

It sounds like you handled yourself fine. I had to similarly weave through some cyclists on the hill who were riding side-by-side. They tell you not to go side-by-side before the race for exactly that reason -- it's dangerous for people trying to pass.
2008-06-16 11:09 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
You seem to be getting the hang of the triathlon thing.  Imagine if you were actually exited to do this race.  Great job.  Good luck with the IM training.
2008-06-16 10:12 PM

User image

Hey nice job! I think you  came in 6th overall for out-of-staters... Woohooooo!!!

2008-06-18 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
WA
wow jim, a PR that is fantastic!!!  great job, you are really really getting awesome!
2008-06-18 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Great race!  It looks like you are really doing a good job of taking your experiences from previous races and applying them to get better.  I might have the try the trick of putting the helmet on while taking off the wetsuit.  Really good all around race, S/B/R and transitions.  It really makes a difference when you can bike all the way through without having to make McGuyver-like repairs to tires!  Keep up the great work.

And, by the way, you were right regarding the runners - they have an obligation to stay to the right and also pay attention. 

2008-06-18 11:56 AM

User image

In the Shadow of Timpanogos
Great Job at the Summer GAmes! I was at that same venue last month and didn't get tet to enjoy good weather, now I wish I has signed up for this one It's a tough course and you did great!
2008-06-18 12:06 PM
in reply to: #1470716

User image

Sensei
Sin City
redlv - 2008-06-16 8:12 PM

Hey nice job! I think you  came in 6th overall for out-of-staters... Woohooooo!!!

Thanks Everyone!

Oh yeah!  I forgot about that......

6 out of 35 overall for out of state racers and 1st in my AG for out of state (but there was only me!  HAHAHAHAHA!!!!)

There were a lot of DNS's this race for some reason....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Utah Summer Games Rss Feed