United States
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 07m 9s
Overall Rank = 751/1620
Age Group = 25-29 F
Age Group Rank = 25/65
Pre-race routine:

Where to start... my boyfriend, mom, and dad all arrived in San Fran on Thursday early afternoon. We checked into the hotel, and by the time we got everything settled, we were all starving (at ~4pm CA time, but dinner time per CT and EST standards!). We had some amazing seafood, and got to bed early.

Friday, I went for a run early, toward the transition area and the Golden Gate Bridge. It was AMAZING. I could have run forever it was so beautiful - both weather and scenery. For the rest of the day, we did some touristy things (rode the trolley, went to Chinatown, etc.). We picked up my bike at Sports Basement. I decided to use Tribike Transport, and it was the best deal and best service I could have asked for. I would ABSOLUTELY recommend their service to anyone doing an "away" event. After picking up my bike and snagging a few accessories in the store, we headed off to scout the bike course. I knew it would be way hillier than I was used to, but what followed actually brought me to tears. These were f'ing MOUNTAINS by Texas standards. I panicked and was sure that I had make a huge mistake bringing my tri bike rather than my roadie. I felt like I was completely up a creek. Thomas was such a good boyfriend, and managed to calm me down by reminding me that all along, I had just said that this was going to be a race for fun, NOT for time. He gave me some tips about how to clip out on a steep incline if I really thought I was in trouble. Honestly, I'm not sure if I was more worried about the inclines or the DECLINES! Judging from our drive, I knew I was going to be on the brakes like crazy. Oh well, not much I can do about it now.

Saturday, part 1: I went with Water World Swim for one of their "Clinics" that involves taking a boat out to Alcatraz island, and essentially swimming the exact race course. Um, count me in! It was me, Pedro (the head honcho), 3 other experienced "coaches", and about half dozen other crazy people paying to jump into freezing water. I don't know what it is about me, but apparently I look scrappy because the coaches all asked me multiple times if I was sure I wanted to make the full crossing. They almost made me scared that there was some huge obstacle out there that I wasn't prepared for. Whatever. One of the women and one of the men (of the experienced coaches) went without a wetsuit - totally nuts. We all prepped to jump off the boat, when my goggles snap. Crap. The guy going without a wetsuit started digging in his bag as Pedro tells me "don't worry, you can jump later" - hell no, I'm going now. The guy without a wetsuit pulls out a pair of non-ideal suctiony goggles, but that was good enough for me. I don't even think Pedro had time to process what was going on before I was up on the top step about to leap. It was freaking cold. That's all I can say. But with the goggle issue on top of the cold, I had tons of adrenaline, so I took off like a shot. I got the crap scared out of me by the instructions that if you didn't follow the proper line, you could be swept out to sea. Enough to keep me swimming directly perpendicular to shore and spotting at the exact locations that I was told - first the "towers" at Aquatic Park, then the Fort Mason piers, and finally gold dome right near Marina Park. All of a sudden, I realized that everyone was pretty far behind me. But I remembered the strict instructions that you should not stop unless absolutely necessary, because the current is still moving you, and you'll get off course. I yelled at one of the several kayakers that were part of the team, and let him know I had no idea what I was doing or where I was going. He immediately came along side me and told me I was doing great and he'd keep me on the right track. So essentially, I got a one-on-one guide into the shore. After I got on shore (~30 min later - stupid fast!) the guy in th kayak was so positive about my swim. He asked me if I had seen my "friend" out there. I thought he was nuts until he explained that I had a seal following me the whole way. He said that he mostly stayed behind me, but several times popped up beside me and once in front of me - too bad I didn't notice! I had some pretty major rash/chafing around my neck... salt water is a bitch. And this nasty algae crap all over my face. Disgusting. Overall, an absolutely INVALUABLE experience.

Saturday, part 2: The race expo was absolutely nuts. I got there shortly after the expo opened, and it was a sea of people. Luckily, it seems like there aren't many young kids who do this race, because there was no line for under 29 females, but huge lines for all the age groups above 35 at registration. Great swag - a duffle bag that's pretty cool, tech T, water bottle, and some samples. The souvenir tent was like the mall the weekend before Christmas. People were literally ripping things off the racks. I think if you came to the second wave of the "mandatory meeting," there was no t-shirts left. I got two t-shirts, a training hat, and a cycling jersey. We went back, and discovered that we had all gotten burned in some way/shape/form from sitting out at Marina Park for so long. Doh. Note to self, plenty of sunscreen for race day.

Sunday - game on! Woke up crazy early (4ish?) in order to be at Marina Park to catch the shuttle to the ferry by 5:30 - mandated for all under-29'ers and first timers. Boy did that turn out to be a huge waste of time, but live and learn. I rode my bike from the hotel to transition, and Thomas brought my transition bag when he and my parents walked from the hotel a little later.
Event warmup:

Pretty much sitting around not wanting to talk to people and get psyched out. I got on the shuttle bus to go to the ferry at about 5:20. I dropped off my T-0.5 bag (for the mini-transition at swim exit to allow you to have shoes for the 1k run to the actual T-1). I had put breakfast and an extra drink in my "ferry bag" as well as tons of Aquaphor to prevent a repeat of the chafing from Saturday. I ended up using almost half a tube. After getting dropped off near the ferry, we had to wait until 6:30 to get on the ferry. Finally, we got on the ferry, and it was crazy - just a mass of athletes sitting on the floor of this ferry that's used for fancy banquets, with all their power bars, gels, body lube, water bottles, and wetsuits. I just found it funny. As we shoved off for Alcatraz, I started getting really nervous - mainly because I just wasn't sure how to time it all. I knew the race started at 8am, but the last-minute logistics were kind of overwhelming. I learned shortly before the race start that the pros/elites were going off at 8am, and then it would essentially be 30 seconds until the general start would begin. There were no waves for starts - your race started when your foot crossed the timing mat at the edge of the boat. So it was just mass exodus from this huge ferry. My thoughts - just get the hell off the boat as soon as possible, because the currents around the island are such that when the boat stops and turns off the engines for the start, it will drift further and further around the BACK of Alcatraz (ie, you'll have to swim further the longer you wait). Here goes nothin....
Swim
  • 30m 47s
  • 2469 meters
  • 01m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

Ok, I know I said I wasn't going for time, but WTF - there were some fast swimmers out there! Only 6th in my AG? That's crap! Well, either that or it's due to my (in my opinion) crappy sighting.

The ebb wasn't quite as strong as my practice swim (reportedly 3.4 vs. the 5.2 the day before). I thought about adjusting my line, but the last thing I wanted to do is end up in the ocean, and since I was told it's better to be too conservative than too adventurous, I decided to stick to my original plan - turns out it was too conservative.

The chop was downright nasty at times. I felt like a buoy getting tossed around. And it's also a little scary when half the time, no one seemed even remotely close to me. A lot of people were far to my right (a more aggressive line). I was tempted a few times to join them, but I didn't want to drink the Kool-Aid and end up in the Pacific, so I stuck to my guns. I made it out just fine, and at first, I started to sprint to transition. I stopped myself, thinking, "don't kill yourself, just enjoy this and absorb as much of it as you can."
What would you do differently?:

Take a more aggressive line.
Transition 1
  • 07m 54s
Comments:

This transition time accounts for taking off my wetsuit and putting on running shoes in T-0.5, running the 1k across some gravel and pavement to the actual transition, changing out of the first pair of running shoes into cycling shoes, and from there the normal T-1 stuff. I certainly could have gone faster, but why... I just wanted to make sure I was comfortable and could focus on not killing myself on the hills.

I guess go faster, but not really.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 18s
  • 18 miles
  • 14.94 mile/hr
Comments:

Ha! I think the avg and ranking speak for themselves on this one. Suffice it to say I was white-knuckling every downhill, and panting on the uphills. Some of these people were absolutely screaming down the hills. I'm sorry, but I'm a total pansy, and I didn't want to die, so I was just going to take my sweet time. I got passed by HUNDREDS of people. I think I may have passed a couple, and they may not have even been part of the race - just recreational riders. :) I went into it not even expecting to be fast, so I hardly cared. The views were spectacular, so my goal was to remember as much of it as I could. This course was by far the most challenging course (both hills and technically speaking) I've ever attempted. Despite knowing that I am horrendously undertrained cycling-wise, I don't know if any of the hills in the local Dallas area could have even come close to preparing me for these climbs. It was the type of hills... not the rollers that I've become decent at... these are monster downhills with hair-pin turns and twists. Then, you go back up them!!

I don't want to sound overly negative about the course - it was amazing and VERY challenging. I can't fathom being a first-time triathlete and attempting those beasts.

Ha, live in CA and train real hills!
Transition 2
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

Pretty uneventful T2. I was really looking forward to the run, because honestly, I was just glad I didn't die on the bike ride. I figured I could crank out at least a crappy run and still finish. I just didn't want to become part of the SF pavement - especially after I heard about the awful crash from last year.

Nothing really. I'm really glad I opted for socks.
Run
  • 1h 13m 40s
  • 8 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

You may look at my time and think that this wasn't a fast run for me. Oh how deceptive that time is. Take into account the fact that this run course seemed more like an XTerra course than a normal tri course, a half-mile portion being on the beach, the sand ladder, and the fact that a significant part of the race was on a path wide enough for exactly two people (one out and one back), and this run was fast. Granted I did walk up some of the stairs (that were too steep for me to feel safe running), a small portion on fresh wood chips because I couldn't get good footing, and the sand ladder - that needs no explanation. So those things considered, I would estimate that I was running at a pretty good clip when I was on firm ground.

Now to the important part - the views. Oh my God. I can't even describe it. The course starts with a run toward the Golden Gate Bridge on a really nice packed gravel path. Next a small staircase up to an off-road path with random ups and downs, a very low-clearance pedestrian "underpass" and then a climb up to the top of a hill right before the turn-around point at Baker Beach. The downhills were so fun, and I knew we were coming up to the Sand Ladder, so I was trying to rest up. Little did I realize that the beach run portion was immediately before it! The run on the beach is what made me so glad I wore socks. The tide had started to come in, so there was very little non-soaked packed sand left to run on. But everything was so beautiful, I never felt like I was getting tired. I could just go on forever. I walked up the sand ladder, trying to take the steps two at a time during portions, but that thing sucked. It must have been 100 steps. And all you have to step on is loose sand or mini railroad ties. Whatever, at the top, I had conquered it! The "prize" for getting to the top was Cliff shot blocks - Pina Colada flavor. That flavor never appealed to me, but (this is gross), I must say that they were hot and gooey, and they tasted AWESOME.

The rest of the run was a complete breeze - majority downhill, and I was FLYING. The views and gorgeous day was like a constant energy boost. I can't imagine being any happier or being any more "in my element" than on the home stretch of the run. Words can't describe how enjoyable the run was - despite the complexity and difficulty. It was truly amazing.

I saw Thomas taking photos as I got back on the gravel path that I knew was less than a mile from the finish line. What an incredible feeling. I didn't want the race to end. I crossed the finish line, arms in the air, because this Texas flat-lander came to conquer Alcatraz, and not only did I do it, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some of the athlete food, found an Aquaphor teammate for a photo op, and reconnected with the proud family.

How cool is this - Tribike Transport had a tent set up right outside transition, so I literally took my bike out of transition, packed up my stuff, and dropped it off... done! Couldn't be any more convenient.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Um, the fact that I live in flat Texas! And maybe a little lack of training :)

Event comments:

I still maintain that Endorfun races are the best yet in Texas, but I'm going to have to give this race my new overall "best race experience ever" position (sorry, Keith). We just don't have scenery like that in Texas (ha, or weather!). But truly, the race was amazing, very well done, and unbelievably exhilarating. I want to go back, but I know that it will never be quite as breathtaking as the first time.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-12-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:47 | 2469 meters | 01m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/65
Overall: 517/1620
Performance: Good
Oh yeah, get this - my HR monitor ran out of juice... ha!
Suit: Xterra full wetsuit
Course: Alcatraz Island to Marina Park
Start type: Dive Plus: Shot
Water temp: 56F / 13C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:18 | 18 miles | 14.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 37/65
Overall: 1097/1620
Performance: Below average
none
Wind: Little
Course: H-I-L-L-S!!!!!! Amazingly scenic course South from Marina Park along the coast. An out-and-back course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:13:40 | 08 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/65
Overall: 781/1620
Performance: Good
none
Course: Out and back South of Marina Park along the coast, including lots of stairs, inclines, and the infamous Sand Ladder.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-15 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Subject: Accenture Escape from Alcatraz

2008-06-15 10:22 PM
in reply to: #1468006

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: Accenture Escape from Alcatraz
Great report. Any desire (which was small to start out with) to ever do this race as evaporated, thanks (lol).  You did awesome.  I think this race would be so cool but considering I hate cold water, salt water, animals that could kill me, going up hills and going down hills, I'm out.  But the run and views would be awesome.
2008-06-16 8:04 AM
in reply to: #1468162

User image

Pro
Texas
kproudfoot - 2008-06-15 10:22 PM

Great report. Any desire (which was small to start out with) to ever do this race as evaporated, thanks (lol). You did awesome. I think this race would be so cool but considering I hate cold water, salt water, animals that could kill me, going up hills and going down hills, I'm out. But the run and views would be awesome.

Seconded. I'll go to SF for vacation, but not a race. I have no problem admitting I'm a pansy.
2008-06-16 9:27 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
GREAT JOB! That was a hard race and considering you didn't have a lot of time in the saddle going into it... you rocked.

There is no way I could do that bike course. Me and downhills are bad. Very bad. I too would have freaked if I had my tri bike for those kinds of hills. You did great getting out there and doing it. And honestly, a 15 mph average on those kinds of hills is a solid ride if you ask me.

And when I saw your run time I thought you were fast! I have read some about the run portion and the sand section and the stairs sounds hard.

Well, great job ENJOYING the race and being happy just being there and doing it!

2008-06-16 12:34 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Wow!  Sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime experience.  That bike course sounds painfully fun!

What the heck?  Was the US olympic swim team there or something?!?!  Regardless, your swim times are always off the charts!

Congrats!

2008-06-16 7:41 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Great RR. Glad you soaked up and enjoyed the entire experience. The other 5 girls must have had faster seals to draft off of. 

2008-06-16 9:32 PM

Veteran
The Colony, Texas, USA, Earth
wow...awesome RR.  I had many o chuckles reading it, Ashley.  Sounds like a most excellent time.  I've been to SF and done some jogging...yikes...those hills are definately scary.  Congrats on a terrific race and we're all envious of you having taken part in such a challenging yet scenic adventure.  I'll 3rd several others by saying...better you than me.  :-)
2008-06-17 7:40 PM
in reply to: #1470621

User image

Champion
the colony texas

so seals draft off of you.. quite impressive I think.. 

Hey I know you have been having workrelated issue's impacting your training.. but this still sounds like you had a great time out there.. not every race is a race sometimes just enjoying the moment is just as good if not better..

Hey I bought lotto tickets at lunch if I win big you can be my adopted daughter and just train all the time 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Accenture Escape from Alcatraz Rss Feed