Canada
15C / 59F
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 4:45 am had some toast and peanut butter. Drank a cup of coffee and had about 10oz gatorade.
Event warmup:

Arrived at race site about 45 minutes early. walked around the track in the Max Bell field house hit the washroom and headed out to the start line around 6:55 am
Run
  • 5h 30m 24s
  • 42.2 kms
  • 07m 50s  min/km
Comments:

I did 10 and 1's I felt awesome and I had settled into a very comfortable pace. At the 6 mile mark I felt my left calf start to cramp a little. I stopped and stretched it out and kept running. It progressively got worse. It got to the point by mile 18 or 19 where I could not run on it...even walking was painful. I made the decision at that point I better protect myself and let go of my race goals...other than to finish. I turned off my watch and HRM and I walked about 5 miles BUT I kept smiling. I was absolutely devastated on the inside. People on the course were awesome, cheering you on even though you are obviously in extreme distress! When I reached the last 2 mile mark I decided I did not want to walk it in...I ran/limped it in from there. I was passing people and ignoring pain! It was a bitter sweet experience. I ran a marathon...but I did not RUN the marathon. I always used to tell people I know that it's all about finishing...but now that people are saying that to me it pisses me off!!!!
What would you do differently?:

use different legs! I'm not sure...I drank a a lot of h2o and gatorade in the lead up to the race. my training could have been a little better I suppose.
Post race
Warm down:

limited stretching...I could not get up off the ground if I went down! Walking, ice and anti-inflams....I'm glad my wife is a nurse!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My left calf continually cramping up when I was running. I have never experienced that before. I took in as much fluid as I could and kept moving. I would stop and stretch it out every now and again. The leg would ease off then cramp up for no reason...I just don't know why. Especially on race day.

Event comments:

I am very disappointed with my body...I'm glad I hung in there though.

Last updated: 2008-01-04 12:00 AM
Running
05:30:24 | 42.2 kms | 07m 50s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course: Easy, flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-16 7:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Manitoba Marathon

2008-06-16 7:42 PM
in reply to: #1468375

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: Manitoba Marathon

wow - good for you for finishing it out!

I hope your calf heals quickly 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Manitoba Marathon Rss Feed