General Discussion Race Reports! » Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Detroit, Michigan
United States
Total Time = 2h 37m
Overall Rank = 83/193
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/10
Pre-race routine:

got up at 5, ate oatmeal and banana, sipped diet coke
Event warmup:

I rode to the race today, haven't done that before, but I liked it, only 5 miles. Also swam for about 10 minutes. My initial impressions of a 3Disciplines event were poor, the chip collection and body marking were inefficient and late to set up, the pre-race announcements were not clear or often enough, and I felt a little like I was getting reprimanded when ever I asked a volunteer a questions. We (athletes in line) were chided for not having our numbers to show to get chips, but the chip collection area was at the swim start, over a mile from the T2/parking area were most of us had left our numbers with our running gear. Don't get snippy with me when you organized it this way.
Swim
  • 29m 48s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty pleased with this, I didn't run thru the thigh deep water as I didn't see the need to exert myself that early. I walked for about 90 seconds and once I started swimming I was at best 10 yards behind the leaders, so walking in the shallows didn't hurt. The bouys were fairly easy to see although the flattened triangle of the course did make it hard to know which one you were aiming for. I was the 12th woman out of the water and felt like I had warmed up nicely.

I'm listed in the AG as first, but there is a woman missing, I outkicked her at the end of hte run, but her swim was a minute faster.
What would you do differently?:

I suppose I should swim harder.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

I'm just slow and making sure I had sun screen on and my stuff in a bag for collection took me longer. I have never used sunscreen during a race but after my most recent dermatological visit, I've been given the clear and direct instruction to stay out of the sun or put sun screen on. My spots are bad!!
Bike
  • 1h 10m 46s
  • 24 miles
  • 20.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Even when I get to 20mph, I'm one of the slowest!! I very consciously stayed in my small ring, even when I could have hammered with the wind at my back. My previous experience with pushing the pace met a bad run, the thought that there is no such thing as a good bike and a bad run stayed with me. I stayed constant and comfortable. Also, given that this has been my biggest IM training week so far, I wanted to work hard but comfortably hard, not sprint hard.

Again, the missing woman bumps me to 8th, her bike was 6+ minutes faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

NOthing much to say...
What would you do differently?:

Why I put my race belt on in T2 is beyond me, I never do that and could easily have 5-10 seconds back. Combined with a slightly harder swim and a little push on the bike, I'm looking at a minute, maybe more!!
Run
  • 53m 10s
  • 6.4 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

The beginning and end of the loops were hot and exposed, but the trail part was cool. My first mile (the only one with a marker!) was 7:45 and my first thought was that there was no good reason to run that hard and eased up for the first loop. I stayed comfortable for the beginning of the second loop and then pushed for the last mile+. I passed people the whole time, and at the end caught the first woman I saw all day in my age group, she's the one who is missing from the age group lists but is 20 seconds after me in the overall list. I did out kick her, something I'm usually bad at, she didn't even chase me.

See, no such thing as a good bike and bad run.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood in line for water. Really, you must be kidding me. Its hot and you set up the finish in a place with no shade and there aren't even water bottles to hand people at the finish. And the post race food? Vending machine snacks and one slice of pizza per person. I paid close to $70 for this? I've been to smaller and less expensive races that were nicer to me and gave me more for my money.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hard workouts during the week.

Event comments:

This is my first race since moving here, and I'm really disappointed. The volunteers are terse, the amenities are minimal for the money, and the information is inaccurate/changing/unavailable. For a race that required no police presence or closed streets with 650+ participants, I'm not sure what happened to my money. My Tshirt is probably the poorest quality race shirt I've recieved in years, that log jam for water post race, the bag that wasn't big enough to hold gear...It wasn't bad, just sort of startling, especially the part where I was snipped at by two different volunteers for doing nothing more than asking a question (chip table and gear bag return). Was this a particularly stressful event for 3D? The gentlemen doing the announcing was less than pleasant. At the same time, athletes weren't listening. Many people trying to get their gear out of T2 before they were supposed to. HOwever, 3D could solve that by actually posting volunteers at the entrances. No one ever checked my number to see that I was taking my stuff, also something that concerned me.

I like racing, I suppose I've been spoiled by coming from a place with several companies that organize local events. They want to attract racers so they go over the top in making you feel good about picking their races. 3 Disciplines appears to have a monopoly, and maybe they don't need to do as much.

Last updated: 2008-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:48 | 1640 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 77/193
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:10:46 | 24 miles | 20.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/10
Overall: 122/193
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 4x Belle Isle
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:10 | 06.4 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 69/193
Performance:
Course: 2 loops
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2008-06-16 8:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
Subject: Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-06-16 11:44 AM
in reply to: #1468481

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Nice race!

Surprised by the mess ups by 3D, I've heard complaints about there races in the past, but really haven't had to many issues at the few I've done with them, besides those t shirts which are pretty ridiculous. Oh yea and running out of food after the race, especially when athletes families are gorging themselves when us slower folks are still on the course.

You'll probably continue to be disappointed. Kinda glad I didn't take time off work to try to squeeze the race in.
2008-06-16 11:59 AM
in reply to: #1468481

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: RE: Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Wow, Kim, fantastic race!!  Looks like you planned your work, then worked your plan...excellent!!

I'm sorry to hear about  your less-than-great experience with this race...

I didn't run Motor City last year because it was a first-year race, and I didn't run it this year because there were too many issues last year that needed solving - and it looks like they solved some of 'em, but others cropped up. I think you hit it right on the head in your RR....I think the venue is challenging enough that it occupies all the RD thoughts, and the rest of the details just slipped through the cracks. 

Hoping for better luck with the rest of your season.... 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed