UltraFit USA
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 36s
Overall Rank = 12/78
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

Routine was completely screwed up and it cost me significantly for the race. I stayed in Columbus at my wife's sisters house. I got my wife's sister's husband (Tim) to enter the race.

We got up late. I drank only 8 ounces of water at the house and planned to get more. My routine was broken because they did not have 20 once glasses which is what I normally start my morning off with.

I at a banana and two slices of raisin bread. Tim told me it took 15 minutes to get to Alum Creek. It took 25. We left 10 minutes late. I had already planned on being their at 6AM instead of earlier. We arrived at 6:20 AM. Tim had to go get in line to get his number. I had an intestinal problem that took me to the bathroom twice. I had to get both bike ready. Tim went looking for me instead of hanging out by the bikes. I got my bike to transition at 6:50 AM. I found Tim at 6:52AM and we got his bike to the transition area at 6:57AM. At 7:00AM I was making my way to the start. But wait, I have not drank anything that morning because of the mistake at Tim’s house and the intestinal trouble (I hate using the D word). As we ran to the starting line I thought, "Oh my gosh, I need water!". I ran to the car to look for my last water bottle and could not find it. I ran to the starting line and got there at 7:05AM. At the line I tried to get some water from some vending machines (family was there with money). They did not work. I ran into the bathroom and drank from the faucet – about 8 more ounces. The race director announced 30 seconds so I ran back to the starting line and away I went.

(After the race I would find my full 20 ounce water bottle on my bike!!!!) I never noticed it there or used it! I really needed it but just ended up taking that dead weight for a ride.

The only thing that saved me at all was the long ride in proportion to the running. I was able to get a good lead on the some better runners. I actually finished T2 in 5th place overall!
Event warmup:

Running from place to place did give me my best warm-up yet.
Run
  • 16m 2s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran very very easy due to my morning trouble.
What would you do differently?:

Plan on getting to the course earlier.
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

I had my shoes already clipped in. I first did this last week at Deer Creek. This time I was apprehensive in jumping on the bike. I also got my feet in the shoes on the initial ride up hill in the parking lot. When I got to the top I thought, "why didn't you ride up here, then put your feet in so that you could maintain more speed coasting since the ground is level?"

Work my feet in the shoes on level ground. I was also still rattled from the hecktic morning.
Bike
  • 44m 27s
  • 17.02 miles
  • 22.97 mile/hr
Comments:

I really couldn't push the bike. I was way thirsty. I had 20 ounces of fluids in my earo profile bottle and drank those. I never noticed my missing bottle in my bottle cage on the bike.

A better morning would have had me pushing the bike. I road steady, but never pushed anything.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

This was a decent T2. It would have been fast but I did take some time to drink from a water bottle on the ground that I leave just in case I need water.
Run
  • 26m 22s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

1st mile: Both calves cramped. My right quad cramped. My right hamstring cramped and my left hamstring seriously cramped. I had to bend over three times to stretch things out. When that was done my intestinal trouble started up again. (maybe it was the new race drink I tried. Something from the same company that make Shot Blocks. I'll experiment with it better in training).

After the 1st mile: My cramps were worked out. I chose not to speed up like I know I could have because of the intestinal trouble (threat of the D word again). I just did not want to run faster and have trouble.

Hydration and digestion was the trouble.
Post race
Warm down:

Had to get to the bathroom again.

Ate some food. Drank some water.

Best part of the day was meeting Justin and his wife (was it Emily?, I am bad with names). She seems very proud of Justin and I was happy for the both of them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hydration and what I ate.

By the way, the whole week I was fighting soreness and fatigue and that felt better by Sunday.

Event comments:

Here is what UltraFit got wrong:

1) Everyones families in the transition zone before the race.
2) Times were wrong. The T2 time was initially added into the bike time. I contacted the officials and the results have since been corrected.
3) Poorly racked bikes in the T zone. (lots of wasted room by the newbies). Helpers were provided but they did not assert themselves to keep things organized.
4) Course traffic directors need to direct sooner. I twice flew up to an intersection and had to yell "which way" because the traffic director would wait too long to signal.

For me, all those other things we care about in a race were OK or good. Overall I had fun again. Such as:

1) UltraFit tried to maintain order in the T zone with many helpers in their. Problem was, the helpers just did not assert themselves and do much.
2) Good fun event.
3) Good course marshalling to keep us passers safe.

Why do I always feel so good the day after the race? I feel 10 lbs lighter today and ready for another race. This is natures way of laughing at me.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-06-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:16:02 | 02 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 28/78
Performance: Bad
Course: Mostly flat. I bunch was cross crountry with mud, grass, ruts, and holes. One had better be careful, and if you were the course was fun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 01:06
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:44:27 | 17.02 miles | 22.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 4/78
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Mostly flat. Some rolling hills and a half mile long low grade hills. Race times screwed up a bit. Timer explained that the T2 time was also included in the bike time so I removed it.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:22 | 03.1 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 24/78
Performance: Bad
Course: Same course as the 2mile run but with a longer leg on the paved road. It had some rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-16 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Subject: Wendy's International Duathlon

2008-06-16 12:39 PM
in reply to: #1468780

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Wendy's International Duathlon

Still looked like you had a pretty good pace, even with the calf cramps.

Tough about the dehydation though.

Great results.  I think you did well.  That bike pace is great IMO.

2008-06-16 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1468780

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: Wendy's International Duathlon
It was great meeting you. Sorry to hear about the hydration issues... Still a very solid race performance.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wendy's International Duathlon Rss Feed