View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lawrence, Kansas
United States
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 2am and couldn't fall back asleep. Got out of bed at 4am, had some coffee and a powerbar (and some tylenol). Once at the race site, we were one of the lucky vehicles chosen to park in the FAR lot, so we had about a 1.5 mile walk to transition.
Event warmup:

no warmup... just a lot of walking... and I got my HR up while trying to pull on my wetsuit. I HATE that thing!
Swim
  • 46m 6s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Sounds like a super slow swim, but the timing mat was at the entrance to transition. I walked though all the sand because it hurt my injured calf to run.

The swim itself was more crowded than I'm used to. I was swimming on top of people, men were catching up and swimming over me... it never really thinned out
What would you do differently?:

Stop skipping swim sessions in training
Transition 1
  • 03m 28s
Comments:

I was sure I spent much more time in transition than this. I had tons of trouble getting my wetsuit off. Then I had to dig through my bag to find something to wipe the sand off my feet. AND I was in the furthest bike rack from the bike out, so I had a LONG walk in my bike shoes out of T1.

have a towel ready to wipe off the sand.
Bike
  • 3h 23m 3s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.55 mile/hr
Comments:

HILLY! We drove 1/2 of the course the day before, and I was scared out of my mind. It looked extremely intimidating and much worse than the IMLOU course. Tina told me to take it easy on the first leg - just warm up - so that's what I did. I didn't work hard on any of the uphills, but I pushed the downhills. I got up the biggest hill of the course on the first leg and I knew was going to conquer the rest no problem. I was passed by a zillion people on the first leg, but they started getting tired by the 2nd and 3rd, and that's when I started passing everyone. It felt great. The night before after seeing the bike course, I decided that there was no way I would beat my Steelhead time on this course, so I threw all expectations out the window. I ended up beating my bike time by 11 minutes. Yay!

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

I put on some socks and my running shoes, grabbed my hat, number, and some tylenol and took off. I put all that stuff on while I was running.
Run
  • 1h 52m 26s
  • 11 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I was feeling good on the run! I was shocked that my leg didn't hurt - especially when I felt the pain walking through the sand after the swim. It was also hurting pretty bad the Friday before the race when I did a short little brick (and it hurt the entire week before). I guess the tylenol and fish oil I started taking worked wonders (and no more heart pain). Mentally I felt AWESOME. I think I was just so stressed about my leg and when it felt good my mood was just magical. I was so happy on the run... I talked to lots of people. I told everyone not to worry about the dark ominous clouds coming through. The cold breeze felt awesome, and I was enjoying the pre-storm weather. Once I saw the 10 mile mark I cheered outloud "YAY! Only a 5k to go!" I was on my way to beating my run time at Steelhead too (2:21) Then I heard a racer behind me say "oh sh!t!" So I turned around and asked him what was wrong. He heard someone say the called the race. I told him I didn't care - we were going to finish no matter what. Then I saw the aid station ahead was still handing out drinks, so I said they wouldn't be handing out drinks if the race was over. So I picked up the pace to brink in my final three miles. As I got close to the last little 2 mile loop near the finish line I could hear the music pumping. I was happy that the race was still on, and I thought of the guy on Slow Twitch who likes to start false rumors, like the one about the swim being cancelled. The music inspired me, so I started to run even faster. I was on cloud nine. Then I couldn't see where the heck the path was to finish the loop - there were cones and spectators or volunteers blocking the way. They told me the race was over and I had to run across the finish line now. I threw out a couple f-bombs and then covered my mouth when I realized there might be kids standing nearby and I jogged through the chute. Most people were walking because they were confused and ticked off, so I had to slow down and I'm pretty sure there was a guy directly in front of me for the finish line picture.
Post race
Warm down:

I got a medal and some water. I could't put the medal on... I felt like I didn't earn it. I waited at the chute for Jackie and Bob who both had a difficult run. I felt bad watching them hear the news about the end of the race. Jackie was almost in tears because she had such a crappy run and then finally felt better, only to hear she couldn't finish. At this point it was raining, and we were freezing, so we just grabbed our gear and started the 1.5 mile walk to the car. We didn't even get food because we were freezing and we didn't know if they would evacuate the post race party as well.

Event comments:

I loved the race. The hills were great training for Louisville, but I was really nervous on the downhills. I heard one guy had a really bad accident and had to be air-lifted out. The bike course also seemed extemely crowded with bikes going in each direction on a two-lane road with no shoulders. I LOVED the run course. A lot of it was on crushed rock, so it was easier on my legs... but at times it was a little too "off-road". Running through all the camps sites was really cool. It's a great course to bring your family to if you like camping... especially for watching the run.

Last updated: 2008-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:06 | 2112 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: .
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:28
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:23:03 | 56 miles | 16.55 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:43
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:52:26 | 11 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-16 10:28 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Subject: Ironman Kansas 70.3

2008-06-16 11:59 AM
in reply to: #1468851

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Subject: RE: Ironman Kansas 70.3
Sorry to hear they called the race.   Big fat bummer with only a couple of miles left.  That blows.  Did you curse Mother Nature!  Great Half anyway you look at it.  You deserve the hardware cuz you would've finished fine.
2008-06-16 12:11 PM

User image

Expert
Great race. You should wear the medal proudly... you earned it. Acts of God do not make this a DNF.
2008-06-16 12:35 PM

User image

Elite
Congratulations on making it as far as you did on a tough course with tough conditions.  Too bad about the last couple of miles, but in reality you know the finish line was in reach.  You earned the finisher medal.  Be proud. 
2008-06-16 3:59 PM

User image

Prosper, TX
Great work Maura!!! You're going to be in great shape to have a strong race at IMKY!!
2008-06-16 8:09 PM

User image

Veteran
OK, your time and my time are so freakishly close. We will defineately see each other, and encourage each other in Kentucky! Good luck.

2008-06-16 9:06 PM
in reply to: #1470460

User image

Nampa, Idaho
That totally sucks that they canceled the race like that . I don't blame you for being disappointed. You were *this* close.

But it sounds like a good race other than that.
2008-06-16 10:04 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Thanks everyone!

Just to make clear... I'm not mad that the race was called off. I was just upset that the potential weather sent us home early. I'm glad the RD's kept us safe - and I have a lot to be thankful for!
2008-06-16 10:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, Kansas
Great job getting to the end (even if short), a tough race, super bike for a blind run. Most Americans couldn't do 50!
2008-06-23 5:07 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Wow nice job! You beat your Steelhead time on the Kansas course? That's something to hang your hat on! Best of luck to you in future races!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Kansas 70.3 Rss Feed