General Discussion Triathlon Talk » help creating Sprint DU plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-16 2:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: help creating Sprint DU plan
I've never been one to follow a structured plan to the T. But I have always been motivated and dedicated enough to get in most of the workouts I believe I need too. But since last year was my first year in Duathlons I was more or less just building base and not focusing too much on any speed work. This year I'd like to create a training plan as a rough guideline just on the types of workouts I should do. Again this is just for Duathlons not Tri's so I thought it would be easier but there still isn't enough time in the day. So from what little knowledge I have gained about training and the specific workouts I should be doing this is what I think I need.

1 workout of rest or atleast a slow recovery ride/run
1 workout of a long bike
1 workout of a long run
1 workout of a tempo/interval run (i'd likely atlernate int/tempos every week)
1 workout of a temp/interval bike (i'd do the same as above)
1 hills workout on bike
1 hills workout for run
1 brick workout

My problem is that is 8 workouts, I don't have time to do any 2 a days except maybe on the weekend but the weekends are the only time I have for my long run/rides.

I could get rid of the rest/recovery day but I think that would only make things worse.

Do I really need all these workouts or is there a couple I can get rid of?

For the record my running is my stronger of the 2 but I'm also training for a 1/2 in September so I don't really wanna lose too much of the running.

any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pete

2008-06-17 11:25 AM
in reply to: #1469582

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: help creating Sprint DU plan
2008-06-17 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan

That looks like a lot of quality work in your plan, I would worry about injury.  Looking at your logs it looks like you have a very solid run base, but not much cycling.  I would probably recomend something like this:

Sun:   Long Bike (as you build your pace start pushing harder on portions of these longer rides)

Mon:  Tempo run (could interchange with intervals or hill work)

Tue:   Medium Bike (at a recovery pace)

Wed:  Long run

Thu:   Off

Fri:     Hill Workout on Bike

Sat:    Brick (as your bike base builds, start pushing more on the bike, and do the first portion of the run at race pace).

Just my opinion. 

2008-06-17 1:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yeah your exactly right, I do need to focus more on the bike. I appreciate your suggestion the only problem is I don't have time to do my long run during the week and since I have a 1/2 marathon coming up in September my long runs are gonna be over the 2 hour mark in a few weeks.

I guess I could switch the long run to saturday and do the brick on Wednesday right?

Edited by newbie13 2008-06-17 1:36 PM
2008-06-18 7:21 AM
in reply to: #1472166

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
You have to fit the training in based on your time constraints.   The only problem I see with doing your long run on Saturday and long ride on Sunday is you probably won't be recovered enough on Sunday to get the most out of your long ride.
2008-06-18 7:37 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN

I don't know that you need to do a brick every week.  You'll want to do them as races pop up, sure...but every week?  I'll defer to someone who knows more on that.

So, take out the brick and make the rest day a full rest day and now you're training 6 days a week with one day of quality (I would alternate intervals with hills rather than tempo), another day of tempo, and a third long day in each discipline. 

It also sounds like you need to do longer workouts on the weekends.  Your rest day can facilitate this.  If your other workouts are wearing you out and you feel burnt out before the weekend, take a rest day on Friday to get ready.  If you're still hurting after your long workouts on the weekends, take Monday as a rest day to get ready for the pending quality stuff.

Bottom line: Don't be afraid to play with what goes where to find what works for you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » help creating Sprint DU plan Rss Feed