General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slight Knee Pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-19 11:04 PM

User image

Regular
North Carolina, USA
Subject: Slight Knee Pain
Ok, so since my freshman year of high school I have had this knee pain that will come and go. If you were looking at the front of my leg, it is located just south of my knee cap. I believe there is mainly cartilage there so I started talking to my friends and family members about it and they suggested taking glucoseamine supplements. The stuff takes a while to kick in but I hear it is suppose to work well. Anyways, I was wondering if it might be because there is a muscle imbalance between my upper and lower leg? Does anyone know? It's not so bad that I have to take off from training or anything. It's just more bothersome than anything. If there are any ideas, I'm willing to hear them.

And on a side note, today I went running in shorts because it was 34F outside. However, it is now sleeting out. How disappointing is that? Later.

Cory

2004-02-19 11:10 PM
in reply to: #8388

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi
Subject: RE: Slight Knee Pain

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on The TriSpot. Could be this:

http://www.drpribut.com/sports/spitb.html

Maybe seeing a real doctor would be a good idea.

JD

2004-02-19 11:18 PM
in reply to: #8392

User image

Regular
North Carolina, USA
I thought about IT Band Syndrome too, but then I realized that it is the tendon that goes down the outside of the knee. Thanks for the help though. I appreciate it.

Cory
2004-02-19 11:34 PM

, Alabama

Is it just south of your knee cap in the center?  If so that's your patellar tendon.  If it's under it or to either side of it, it could be cartilage (or something else).  Whenever I feel even a slight twinge I get out the ice pack just to nip it in the bud, so to speak.  I take glucosamine regularly.  I don't know if that is what's keeping my knee from blowing completely out or if it's just that I pamper it, but I'm still running without much difficulty. 

Sharon

2004-02-19 11:45 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
I agree - that is your patellar tendon. Could be tendonitis. Try doing some quad work like knee extensions and step ups (stand on a phone book with one foot and touch the other foot to the ground -over and over). That helps put your patella where it belongs and may take the strain off of the patellar tendon.

Better yet, before it becomes a huge issue, go to your doc and get a PT referral.

Good luck!
C
2004-02-20 8:45 AM

New user
Rome, GA
The two posters ahead of me are right that it is your pateller tendon. The pain I would say comes from an inbalance in the quad muscles themselves. It is very common for runners espically to flex their quads in the wrong order causing the pateller tendon to be pulled in the wrong direction first, this offen causes tendonitis. Work on flexing the muscles that are to the inside and above the knee before the larger (longer) quads that run from the outside of the hip to your knee. It is very common to see people flexing the outside then the inside. Many fellow runners that ran with me in college had this problem and had to retrain their legs to flex properly.

2004-02-20 10:28 AM
in reply to: #8448

User image

Regular
North Carolina, USA
Hey thanks alot. How might I go about trying to retrain it? Do I just flex my muscle while I'm watching TV or do I try to do it while I'm lifting? Once again, thanks to everyone for their ideas.

Cory
2004-02-20 10:38 AM
in reply to: #8460

New user
Rome, GA
Sit down on the floor legs extended infront of you. Work on flexing from the inside out. Then when you are lifting or running focus on working the muscles in this sequence.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slight Knee Pain Rss Feed