United States
84F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 59m 24s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = w 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/32
Pre-race routine:

I stayed at the campground and arrived Friday. It was a good decision. Being at the race site, not having to travel or get up early was very nice. Plus it was only $16 a night!

I woke up at 530 and had breakfast outside of the camper while I was watching all the cars drive in and park a long ways off. Headed down to the beach at 615. Set up my transition and watched the navy seals jump out of a plane and make an impressive landing on the beach in front of us cool!

I kepy wondering where all of the "average" athletes were. I bet 4 out of 5 of us were really buff. Just amazing for a first time event.
Ate 2 chocolate fudge poptarts, a glass of milk, some water, and a boost.
Event warmup:

Nothing.
Swim
  • 47m 37s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

Nice start. A little more jostling than I can remember for a wave start. It thinned out by the first turn. The wind at this point was coming out of the south. When I made my final turn to come back into the shore, the wind kept pushing me away from the buoys. It took me awhile to figure this out...duhh. So I had to angle my body and swim a diagonal line away from the shore. This seemed to work well. Although I was 100 yards away from the buoys, I never had a kayaker come to tell me to get back on course, and I know a lot of us were "out there."

I finished the swim in 45:05 by my watch and ran to transition. I stopped just short of the timing mat to take off my wetsuit. This took me about 2 minutes as it got stuck on my timing chip, and the zipper was full of sand.
What would you do differently?:

Recommend to the race director to utilize volunteers for stripping.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

I was on the very end of my rack, furthest from the main aisle. But, this had its benefits too. I set up my transition area right next to the fence, and could talk to the family to get needed support before the bike and the run (but especially the bike).

Nothing.
Bike
  • 3h 15m 18s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.20 mile/hr
Comments:

I drove this course, especially the northern arm, several times before the race day to get to town. It totally had me worried. I did not sleep well, I thought about not even starting, I was upset that I didn't bring my road bike with the triple rings...on and on. So at the transition area, my husband said, "just go comfortable and have fun. You have plently of time." So that is what I did. Although the roads looked really bad from the car, they didn't seem as bad from the bike. As I was approaching the last and toughest hill of the first arm, an ambulance was taking away one guy, who I later learned was BT's very own Veganman, and another was on the side of the road bleeding everywhere and appeared to be unconscious! You just never know when that will happen to you. With fast speeds, bridges, and equipment being flown all over the road, I'm amazed that these were the only crashes I saw.

The second arm went rather smoothly, but I could tell the wind was picking up. By the third arm, the wind was 16-20mph and into our faces. I was pedalling constantly in the lower ring and mostly in granny gear. I averaged 11 mph on this part. Many guys were on the side of the road puking...seriously one every mile. I really felt like I was bonking. By the turn around, however, the wind was at my back, and my average mph increased to 23 mph. I did this whole last part in my biggest chain ring, even up the hills.

When I got back to transition, I couldn't believe that I did it in 3:15!! My optomistic goal after driving the course was 3:45.

Nothing. Hydration with carbo pro 2.5 scoops, 2.5 endurolytes, ice tea mix and 24 ounzes of water eorked perfectly. No GI issues whatsoever.
Transition 2
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

I got off my bike and could barely walk. Guys were jumping off and running. It took me a bit longer to get loosened up.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 51m 18s
  • 11 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

It took ne about 2 miles to loosen up after the bike. The first two miles were at a 12 minute pace. Our camper was on the first half mile. My family had made signs including one BT sign. They said they got many comments about the BT sign with weveral paople calling out their call names. After mile 2, I picked up the pace to about 9-9.5 minute miles. I used a concentrated mixture of the bike nutrition, and chased it with water at every aid station. It worked beautifully. Every ile I felt stronger and faster. By mile 9, the weather front moved in, and the temperature dropped about 10 degrees. Boy, that felt good! I had to take off my sunglasses because the clouds were so dark. I never saw any rain, lighning or hail. I only heard a few distant runblings of thunder. By the time I made it to mile 10, the could separated, and it became much lighter outside. There was still no rain. I was running 8.5 minute miles by this point. When I ran by the transition area again to finish my last 2 mile loop, I was stopped by a volunteer who told me they were pulling out everyone. When I asked why, his reply was that "they evacuated all of the volunteers due to the weather." I was disappointed to say the least. This was my first HIM where I actually felt good and was running a great pace. So......I took off my timing chip, threw it into the big pile, and finished the race myself. Total time was around 6:17 by my watch. Oh yeah... and there were still vounteers out catering to my needs for ice, water and gatoraid. They had no idea the race had been called, and were surprised when I gave them the news.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

The finish was quite crowded. I'm not sure if they were handing any swag stuff out here, but I didn't get anything because of the mass of bodies. I gathered my transition stuff, and ran....yea...ran back to the campsite, that'a how good I felt. Then, the sun came out!!! One and a half hours after I finished we were pulling out of our campsite, and there were still runners going past the aid station beyond mile 10!!! And they couldn't have let the people finish who were on their last lap?!?!?!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Age, genetics, family, work, and motivation.

Event comments:

There was plently of activities and a great expo before the race. The navy seals were awesome. The swim was beautiful, and the bike was challenging. The run was spectator friendly. I just wish that there was something published that stated "we will stop the race under X circumstances." I felt then and still feel now that it was a VERY soft call.

Overall, had weather not been a factor, this race would have been rated a little higher on my scale. There was a lot of thought and organization that went into this. I may be back in future years.

Last updated: 2008-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:37 | 2112 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/32
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: promotion full sleeve
Course: one loop counter clockwise lake swim in clean, fresh water
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:15:18 | 56 miles | 17.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/32
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Iron "cross" with alternating steep hills with 10% grade and long 1-2 mile steady inclines. Very few "rollers."
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:33
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
01:51:18 | 11 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/32
Course: Winding trails, large gravel roads, and old chipped asphalt roads around the campgrounds. Some shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-16 9:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Ironman Kansas 70.3

2008-06-16 10:36 PM
in reply to: #1470680

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, Kansas
Subject: RE: Ironman Kansas 70.3

Sorry you didn't get to finish 100% of the race. I hav had a few cancelled before they started it is a rick you take.

Good RR

2008-06-16 10:51 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Nice job! I already left this in an inspire but man alive, you worked that bike course! I thought you said you were going to take it easy? Your easy is still faster than my "comfortably hard"! Great pace on the run too. I saw your sign, I was wondering what BTer that might have been! Nobody was at the camp site though when I ran by so I didn't get a chance to say hi to anyone. Glad I know now who it was.

I wish I would have done what you did and just clicked the "split" on my watch and finished the run. We dragged all my gear up that long hill, PAST the turn for the north campsite [second part of the run loop] to the car and sat inside for five minutes until the rain stopped and the sun came out. GRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Recommend to the race director to utilize volunteers for stripping.

For sure! I bet there were many "iron veterans" who were disappointed about this. I was looking forward to it even though I hadn't heard anything official.

Nice race, glad you have something bigger [this race was big for me] to look forward to later on this season!
2008-06-17 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
WTG! I had the same feelings as you after driving the course. When we drove down that first huge hill my heart started pounding. I was terrified! But we did it with no problems. Louisville here we come!!!
2008-06-17 9:16 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Wow what a great ride that was for you! I'm jealous! Nice work out there and let's hope next time the weather, as nice as that cold air was, stays far far away!
2008-06-17 9:26 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
congrats on finishing the race

2008-06-17 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Killer bike split! And to think, you almost didn't start Great job out there, and you'll just have to do another 70.3 to make up those last few miles Congrats!
2008-06-17 1:49 PM

User image

Elite
Awesome job sliding in just under 6hours.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Kansas 70.3 Rss Feed