USAT Best of the US/City of Dexter
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 51s
Overall Rank = 62/109
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 6/8
Pre-race routine:

We camped at the site. Got up had the usual breakfast while I stretched. 1 orange, one HB egg, ~1 cup of frosted miniwheats. put a blanket on the ground outside to stretch. The sunrise over the lake was beautiful. Very peacefull and quiet. There were a few other athletes also stretching outside their tents. Got the bike ready. Pit stop. walked over to bodymarking and transition.
Event warmup:

just before the orientation I ran for about 8 minutes out a bit and back. I really should warm up the bike as well. Being in the last wave to leave at about 1/2 hr after the first, I took my wetsuit over to the staging area and put it on there at about 15 minutes before we started.
Swim
  • 09m 34s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started in mid dock. I wanted to be in the thick of the pack for practice at bigger mass starts. Just before the start I swam out a bit to get used to the water. I also just stood and put my head in the water and practiced breathing. this helped a lot. The start was good, and before long I found someone to draft off of, but he was much too slow, so I passed him. The biggest group was swimming right along the rope so I tried to get in that path. My sighting was not all that great, and because my relative speed I didn't find anyone to draft off of. The fast guys (there were also young teens in our wave) were just much faster, and I could not catch them and swim at a reasonable pace. I went just a bit too fast, and was breathing every stroke. I did manage to slow down and glide more in the last 300 yards. The wetsuit seemed too tight. (but I did swim in it later in the day and it's fine).
What would you do differently?:

Maybe line up closer to the rope next time? Practice more in wetsuit and cap.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

What was I thinking about? I sort of stalled between getting the wetsuit off and the bike stuff on.

I should practice full transition with the wetsuit. Focus
Bike
  • 46m 16s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I took it out fairly conservatively, but realized we had a tail wind and didn't want to do it too slow. I picked up the pace after a couple of miles, and judging by my breathing I picked a good pace. Even going up the hill was pretty good, the tail wind definitely helped. Gears and effort wise I was pleased. Then the turnaround - good turn and the WIND! Arg. I think last year I went down the hill at ~30 mph, I was doing well to hit 18 this year, and that was in the drops. Down into the flats I was passed by a guy wearing 61 on his leg. He didn't zoom by like most of the faster bicyclists, and I thought I don't need to let this guy run off and leave me. I dropped out of the three bike no draft zone just as we turned back into the direct head wind. I found a bit of draft, and stayed in it. Several times I thought I could ride harder, but knew that If I pulled out into the wind I would not be able to pass, so I contented myself with saving energy for the run, and concentrated in staying about 3.5 bike lengths back and not running up on him. I was real pleased with my effort and strategy. (and luck to find the right rabbit (to quote Jeepfleeb))

Train more on the bike - get faster somehow.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

I blasted past the guy in front of me as he came to a full stop at the dismount line. I just didn't expect him to stop completely. Felt ok about that, but appologized to him later. For some reason I was a bit unsure about where my bike slot was - found it ok, but felt confused. I had laid my race belt on top of my cap - error. Anyway, I think I just needed a bit more organization and focus.

Practice full transition. race belt gets put on as I run out of transition not before shoes and hat. Think I can shave a good 20 seconds off.
Run
  • 29m 57s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Took it out a bit conservatively. chasing 61 again. It took ~ 3/4 mile to catch him. I didn't want to hurt myself early, but I didn't walk. When I caught up to him, we chatted (name is Harley). I really liked the pace, short steps and good cadence. I was not ready to let it out yet. After a while I thought I could go faster but didn't want to peak too early - or get hurt. Harley has run marathons, so I thought this is good. I felt good and strong, stronger as we went along. After passing the second water station I waited a second for him. As we approached the third station he said he was going to slow it up a bit, so I accelerated up to tempo pace. I should have done that at the second water stop. I didn't have a good feel how far out the two mile mark was. any way I finished real strong, and should have started running much sooner. Think I could have run at least a minute faster

do a better job of previewing the couse to see where to speed up. Will do that at Buffalo Springs the next race.
Post race
Warm down:

Cold water, ate lots of stuff, milk and ice cream - all provided for everyone!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind and fitness on the bike, strategy on the run.

Event comments:

This is a wonderful race. Nice couse, pretty, well organized, lots of activities, especially for the younger family members, and lots of great post race food. (If you like milk and ice cream and fresh fruit and bagels :) ) The only thing that keeps this race from being a 5 is the less than clear lake water. (but that's pretty much par for the course in this part of the country)

Last updated: 2008-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:34 | 880 yards | 01m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 8/109
Performance: Good
3rd of 8 in my heat.
Suit: Promotion wetsuit
Course: out and back. start standing in waist deep water - hand on the dock
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:46
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:16 | 12.43 miles | 16.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 0/109
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back, farm to market roads, with little traffic, and scenic. the route takes you past the fish hachery, through farmlands, across the Pecos river, more farmland, then up onto the caprock and the high plains. The climb up onto the caprock is considerable, but is the only major climb on the course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:29:57 | 03.11 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 0/109
Performance: Average
Took it out a bit conservatively. chasing 61 again. It took ~ 3/4 mile to catch him. I didn't want to hurt myself early, but I didn't walk.
Course: Out of the park on paved road. changed over to dirt road and a short bit of trail through and around the fish hatchery. the dirt road was in much better condition this year and quite smooth. three water stops.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes