United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 21m 32s
Overall Rank = 168/942
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 23/82
Pre-race routine:

Up at three to be out of the hotel by 4. Managed to get myself ready and everything loaded by about 3:50. The DW took just a little longer than expected. Out of the hotel by 10 after 4. Garmin said 30 min to race site. Has anybody noticed that zero gas stations are open at 4 in the morning. I needed to get something to eat. Tori mentioned something about having some PB&J crackers. "That will work, were are they?" Had to stop and retrieve them from the back of the pickup along with a bottle of H20. Dropped in a nuun tablet and we were headed to Bloomington Park.

Arrived early enough that we managed to get parked fairly close. Got the stuff out of the truck and headed to transition. Got partially set up and realized I had forgotten a few things....back to the truck. On the way out I see Tom and Lisa and she mentioned that she is already set up and ready to go. Off to the truck to retrieve the essentials. Made my way over to Brians spot and talked to him for abit. Met fellow BTer Veganman while chatting with Bripod. Out of transition and down to the beach
Event warmup:

Wiggled into the wetsuit. Put the cap and gogles on and did a few short laps in the swim area of the beach. All systems go. Felt really, really calm for some reason. Somebody was trying to tell me I would be fine. Thanks to whoever you are....
Swim
  • 42m 37s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Here is where all the anxiety was! I've had problems with open water swims before. It happend during an oly a couple of years ago. So I always go into open water swims a touch nervousness.

Put the wetsuit on and decided I had better swim a little just to make sure the goggles were good. All was well and I headed to the start line. Stood around with Brian up until they said go. Seeded myself toward the back of the pack so I could let the "washing machine" die down. All I could think about at the start was, OK make it to the next bouy. Settled in fairly quickly and found NO feet. Thats fine I haven't drafted in the past why start now.

Didn't seem like I was swimming that long when I caught a different colored swim cap. I had to swim around people backstroking by about 300 yrds. My initial thought was "Do they not know how long they have to swim?" Different colored swim caps were the norm by now. Swim was going really well, breathing settled down very quick. When I made it to the turn bouy I was thinking that I could swim all day long.

Rest of the swim went really well. Felt relaxed and excited. A couple of times I thought "By the end of the day I will have completed my first HIM". Second turn bouy came and I was headed home. I knew I was going to make it! With about 200-300 yards left I noticed a familiar face swim up be side me...Brian what the h3ll are you doing? This was teh coolest part of the swim. We chatted between strokes and had a small conversation. About that time he said "Let's race!". Then he promptly tucked in behind me and started drafting. Silly turd you can't do that. When we made it to shore I told him we should go across together. Ran down the shute a little ways and decided to take off the wetsuit. It came off super easy. On to T1 with my buddy!
What would you do differently?:

In hindsight I don't think I ever really pushed the pace. I have swam a whole lot faster in races. I was just swimming along enjoying the morning and not thinking about racing. This swim really helped me mentally. I had doubts that I would come out of the water alive. I know now that I can be a decent swimmer. I have the speed I just didn't utilize it today! I don't think I would have done anything differently. I did just what I needed to do to slay the evil thoughts.
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

SSSLLLOOOWWW transition! The 300 yard run didn't help. Once we made it into transition I really took my time to make sure I had everything I needed. I have never stood around and looked at my stuff in transition like I did today. I just wanted to make sure that I had everything for the long ride.

Not wait for Brian....j/k. Be more sure of what I had laid out. Trust I can get transition set up with what I need pre race!
Bike
  • 2h 52m 10s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Oh the bike! I'm just thankful I made it out of the water. I honestly never thought I would see what I saw on this ride. There was always a line of bikes ahead of me. Starting in the last heat has its perks!

Once I got out of ear shot of the race announcer all I could think about was what Mr. Trusdale told me. "Don't kill yourself in the first five miles. It is a long race." I decided to just get the legs ready to ride by spinning easily for awhile. Didn't hit it very hard until about the 4 mile area. That was when I started to ride my ride!

Got out onto the first leg of the cross and couldn't believe the site of all the bikes. Easy pickins, I was passing people for the whole 56 miles. Any time I saw a nice bike I complemented the rider and went about my way. Nice jersey....same thing. Was a regular chatty cathy on the ride. At the first turnaround I made a mental note of how far Tom was ahead of me. I thought it might be awhile until I pass him. He had a good couple of minutes on me. Just kept spinning and talking!

The second aid station presented the first problem of the day. The little black thingy that replaced the little yellow thingy in the aerobottles decided it didn't want to stay attached to the bottle. It wanted freedom. It attached itself to a water bottle as I was filling up the aerobottle. I grabbed it and put it in my jersey pocket thinking I could ride without it. Nope. Water was going everywhere. I decided that it waould be best if I stopped to put it back in its place. Probably lost thirty seconds. Who's counting? Back on my way. Still spinning and chatting.

I can't remember where I was at distance wise but I noticed some pace booty that looked familiar...It was Lisa. She was trying to switch water bottles with one in her behind the saddle hydration system! I thought I would offer a hand but by the time I got even with her she had completed the task. Asked her how she was doing and if everything was going OK. She said "Go catch Tom!". I told her I would try and off I went. Somewhere between Lisa and the finish line somebody rode up behind me and said "EL FLACO is that you?" I replied "Yes, Yes it is." It turned out being wintimtim. Had a great conversation with him and he sent me on my way saying "See you at the Wichita Marathon. I need to BQ."

Mile 41 -- Problem #2. Had finally caught Tom and was chatting with him. We started climbing a hill when I dropped my chain. No problem right? Wrong. The chain wedged itself between my small chainring and the bottom part of my bike. When I put the chain back on and started riding again my bike wouldn't stay in gear. I fumbled with the barrel adjusters trying to get it readjusted. No go. I started thinking what in the world is going on. I was watching my chain and noticed that it look like one of the links was about to break. "Oh come on baby, just get me to the finish line. Or close enough I can walk it in." Wanna talk about a long 15 miles? I found a gear in my big chain ring that the bike would stay in so I put it there and left it. I lost alot of time on the downhills simply because I didn't want to shift my bike. Luckly the last 10-15 miles are relitively(sp?) flat. It wasn't the ideal climbing gear but it was fine.

Managed to catch up with climbin5414 with maybe a mile left. Told him of my problems and he said "It's OK you can coast in from here!" Jumped off the bike and was ready to start running!!!!

Pay less attention to other people and actually race. 19.5 is good but if I had put my head down I could have had a faster ride. I wouldn't change a thing with this ride. I had a BLAST!
Transition 2
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

Did the whole stand around and look thing! Took a big drink out of my water bottle and spit it on my sunglasses to wash them off. Dave, Lindakc's DF asked me if I needed more water. Nope I just need a little. Grabbed some Powergel, bib, glasses and was off.

Hurry up.....
Run
  • 1h 41m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

The run is usually where I can do the most damage. Ran the first mile in 6:40. Shortly after the mile mark I remembered I was going to enjoy every step of this race. Slowed alittle and started chatting with fellow athletes. Tom had again beat me out of transition and was already running when I starterd. Caught up to him and ran with him for abit. Can't really remember how long we ran together but after a short visit I was on my way.

Kept running and congratulating people. Passing people left and right. So much fun was had on this run I wouldn't know where to start! Saw a bunch of the BTers. Tom, Lisa, Tony, Brian, Mutri, Nathane all looked very strong. No offense guys but Lisa looked amazing. She looked really strong. I bet she could have run all day.

Kept taking fluids at the stations. When I was thirsty I drank and when I wasn't I put the water on my head. Every once in a while I would take a cup of ice and carry it with me. I heard somewhere that having something cold on your palm would help cool you. I would grab a piece of ice and squeeze it in my hand then switch hands. It worked wonderfully. I hit the nutrition spot on in this race. Couldn't have done anything better. So much more I could write but I'll leave it to your imagination.

I think the BT jersey made the race that much more enjoyable. I couldn't count the people who yelled "What's your username?" One of the fellow users, I'm sorry but I can't remember your name, said "That must be a BTer" as I approached him. That was the coolest thing that was said during the whole race. We chatted for a minute about his shin splints and lack of run training. He had me fooled because he was moving really well to have been fighting an injury. At the last aid station a lovely lady asked me if I needed some gatorade. I replied "No, but I need the finish line." She said "Don't worry hun it is right around the corner!".

Not a damn thing! I had the time of my life. And people ask me why I love running....Just wait until you see the pictures and you will see why!
Post race
Warm down:

Storm was obviously moving in. I told Tori I was going to go change and get my stuff out of transition. Jogged to the truck, changed clothes, grabbed my backpack and started back toward transition. Brian was passing as I was headed back so I decided to run with him for awhile. Chatted with him up until they told him he HAD to go through the finishers chute. Sorry fella'. I had nothing to do with it! Proceded to go to transition and get my sh!t together!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The fact that I was having the time of my life!

Event comments:

First year race = first year problems. Please don't let that deter you from coming back again. I could mention the problems but I won't bore you!
The positives outweight the negatives. I will probably do this race again.

I could have raced much harded than I did but I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much. I made this the funnest race that I have done so far simply by slowing down and enjoying myself. I must admit I was slightly dissapointed with some of my times. I know what I'm capable of and I know one of these days I will put it all together and reach my potential!

Last updated: 2008-03-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:37 | 2112 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/82
Overall: 0/942
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rectangular swim from South end of beach. Finishing up on the North end. The long way around!
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:35
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:52:10 | 56 miles | 19.52 mile/hr
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: The "IRONCROSS"
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:41:53 | 13.1 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Course: Loops around the campgrounds. You don't want details!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-18 8:10 PM

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks
Subject: Ironman Kansas 70.3

2008-06-18 8:19 PM
in reply to: #1475643

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: RE: Ironman Kansas 70.3
FIRST!!! Nice RR! Glad you were as surprised as I was to find out the race got called I was starting to think you knew something I didn't. It was fun chatting with you on the swim. Looks like we both need to do some sandbagging and then we'll be as fast as Tom and Lisa! Those wieners! Sounds like this was a super fun race - you said yourself it was the time of your life. Sometimes splits and finish times just aren't the most important thing of the day. I'm really glad you were able to have fun and give yourself a chance to back off the throttle a bit.

Looking forward to the next time we get to race together!
2008-06-18 8:49 PM

Veteran
North Dakota
Great job El Flaco!! You really looked good when you went whizzing by me!! I have to agree with you though on this race was a blast!! This race was probably my best triathlon experience yet and it sounds like you enjoyed it as much!! Good luck with the rest of your season!!
2008-06-18 9:01 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Awww that was sweet what you said about me on the run. I, too, was having the best time of my life out there! I always smile during races - for that reason. I love racing.

Can't wait to see what you do next year when you actually try!

2008-06-19 7:59 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
congrats on the race and a solid fast run
2008-06-19 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Great job out there!! I think I saw you a few times on that run, but I was too out of it to say anything- I was cheering you on in my head though!

Awesome first race- and now all your other HIMs will seem easy You had a killer run split, and I can't wait till you break 5:00 next time. You're fast!

2008-06-19 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Great race and RR Jason! For all the bike issues, you had a smokin' time and a killer run.
2008-06-19 11:33 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-06-19 12:26 PM

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Awesome race. Your bike held up and allowed you to enjoy the run! Sounds like you had a blast!
2008-06-19 2:31 PM

Champion
Chicago
Don't lie. That was MY pace booty you were staring at. NTTAWWT.

Nice race man and it was good to meet you. Hopefully we'll cross paths again someday.
2008-06-19 8:46 PM

Veteran
I think you made that "nice bike" comment to me when you flew past me on the second leg. Awesome job! You are incredibly fast.

2008-06-20 8:58 AM

Elite

Congratulations on a great race! 

Stellar performance for a first time 70.3!  Smokin' faaaast!

2008-06-21 10:42 AM

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Nice job on your race. I saw you go through an aid station I was working and you looked strong. Good luck on the rest of the season.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Kansas 70.3 Rss Feed