General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tunnel Vision During a Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-18 11:49 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
Subject: Tunnel Vision During a Race

I did my first Triathlon last Saturday and wife took some pics and video.  Funny thing is I don't hardly remember any of what is on the video or what I said.  I must have really been focused or a little out of it.  She interviewed me at the finish and I swear I don't remember saying any of that.  Right before the swim, my buddy is there talking and I'm talking to him but I don't remember saying any of that, it's spooky like watching someone else... Right before the finish line, a girl in front of me did a cartwheel...Nope didn't see that either.

Has this happened to anyone else?

2008-06-18 11:59 PM
in reply to: #1475943

User image

Regular
Living in Singapore...
Subject: RE: Tunnel Vision During a Race
Unfortunately I remember every painful minute of my races.
2008-06-19 12:08 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by mixie 2008-06-19 12:12 AM
2008-06-19 6:46 AM

South of Lat 30'
Like you say, you're either super focused or over heated :0) but seriously, it's happened to me as well. I tend not to hear family/friends cheering as I go by, just a blur. It will get better the more races you do. You'll even know when to look for and smile for the camera Wink
2008-06-19 7:58 AM

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Tunnel vision or "in the zone" ... there is a difference.  During one running of SC HIM, I got to mile 10 of the blazing hot run and developed tunnel vision (where it looks like you are viewing things through the wrong end of a telescope), goose bumps and the urge to throw-up every Gu I had that day (and the previous 5-7 days for that matter ).

Those were bad signs of things to come as I went from a 8:xx/mi pace to 18:xx/mi pace over the ensuing 5k ... and then a trip to the med tent for an IV.

Pay attention if this happens as these are all signs of supreme dehydration.   Lots of folks ignore nutrition and hydration planning during their training (me included) ... and this is what happens.

Since then I have been more deliberate - and have seen results in terms of power, stamina and better splits.

Not sure this is what happened to you but it bears repeating.

2008-06-19 9:21 AM

I get like this on longer (for me) training runs and rides - training becomes automatic and I just kind of remove myself from the situation. It's really freaky, especially if I am running and someone stops me to ask for directions. It's like they woke me up.  It's not tunnel vision so much as being in a "zone".  Or on another planet, perhaps.

In races, however, I am hyper aware. Probably because I use my surroundings as a distraction to the fact that I would really rather be taking a nap.

Edited by DMW 2008-06-19 9:22 AM

2008-06-19 9:37 AM

Master
Alpharetta, GA
I presume you are talking about being "in the zone". I race and train like that. My soul focus is on what's at hand.

Swimming: stroke, stroke, stroke, breath, then repeat. Checking bouys, individuals around, can I draft off their feet, can I use them in sighting, etc...

Bike - Cadence, what gear am I in, what am I working on right now (e.g. hill, flats, etc.), speed

Run - Zoned, focus on breathing, cadence, stride, course

Other than that, I don't think. I turn my brain off, so any thoughts will not throw off my focus.

I get completely focused on what I am doing, but hyper aware of my surroundings. It is strange because I am not paying attention to my surrounds, but I am aware of them. In the last race I had already made the turn on the bike and heading back in when a friend passed and called out my name. I hardly remember it, but he said it looked like he scared me. I presume that "scared" look was me popping out of the "zone" I was in.
2008-06-19 10:39 AM

Expert
SF Bay Area

Yeah, maybe it's just too much to process all at once so you subconsiously have to block things out.  I guess it wasn't really tunnel vision as much as being in a haze.  I envisioned the race so many times in my mind that when it really happened, it didn't seem real.

Good to hear that others have experienced the same thing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tunnel Vision During a Race Rss Feed