Caracas,
Venezuela
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 23s
Overall Rank = 122/210
Age Group = Submaster
Age Group Rank = 38/65
Pre-race routine:

Ate a banana and drank some Gatorade. Drove to where the trail ended. Buses were waiting there to take us to the start.
Event warmup:

Easy running for about 10-15 min.
Run
  • 1h 24m 23s
  • 12 kms
  • 07m 02s  min/km
Comments:

The initial climb took me 15 minutes, one more than expected. I went by HR, but was still a bit higher than I wanted to be.

After that, there's a 5 to 6k stretch which is somewhat hilly but entirely runnable. I made up ground on the downhills but got passed on the flats.

Then we ran on singletrack for about 10 min. until reaching a stream. Tripped on the rocks as I, adrenaline-blinded, tried to pass on the outside. Managed to cross and began a short but steep climb. From then on, I just ran hard on the flats and downhills and gritted my teeth on the climbs. "Short steps at a high cadence."

I opted to skip my scheduled Powergel because of all the jumping and bouncing around.

The women's race ended in the final climb (Km 8); I don't understand why the course was shorter for them. Most of these girls are really tough, some even managing to finish top 10 overall in other mountain races.

From then on, I began the steep downhill run to the bottom. There was a course change, which resulted in a shorter distance covered. Aware of this, I pushed hard and passed at least a dozen other runners. I had good control, pace and sighting in the descent in spite of very limited practice in recent years.

About 5 minutes from the finish, I jumped off a rock and got calf cramps in the air! I shook it off and got back on track but had to slow down and wasn't as agile as before. While stretching my calf during the cramping episode I got passed by 3 runners. After regaining composure, I managed to pass one of them with the other two in sight. With 100 meters to go, they were within my sprinting distance, so I took off. Sadly, my calf locked up again and I came in 2 seconds behind them.
What would you do differently?:

My calf cramped up for two reasons: I didn't eat when I was supposed to and my legs are unaccostumed to the beating involved in mountain running, especially in the downhill sections.

I still felt like a goat on the steep downward stuff, except for the cramps of course and climbed better than expected, never losing my energy level.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Specific training! My only serious technical trail runs were this past Tuesday and Thursday.

Event comments:

Another, rather short, step toward UTMB 2010!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-06-21 12:00 AM
Running
01:24:23 | 12 kms | 07m 02s  min/km
Age Group: 38/65
Overall: 122/210
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-21 1:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Gatorade Mountain Race 1

2008-06-23 9:22 AM
in reply to: #1480049

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Subject: RE: Gatorade Mountain Race 1
Wow - That sounds like a blast! Too bad about the cramping.... Nice race Felix!
2008-06-23 3:13 PM
in reply to: #1480049

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Subject: RE: Gatorade Mountain Race 1

Awesome race  !

Getting calf cramps while airborne !!!!! You must have been pushing like a mad man to accomplish that

Too bad you were not able to pick up the last 2 places in finishing sprint. But it does sound like you have recovered very nicely from the HIM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Mountain Race 1 Rss Feed